Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Team v France

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well?
Mellsblue

Re: Team v France

Post by Mellsblue »

Same again. The big question might be which LH to call up should Marler be suspended.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Mellsblue wrote:Same again. The big question might be which LH to call up should Marler be suspended.
Mullan's in the squad - unless he's injured, I'd have thought it would be him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Peat wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Same again. The big question might be which LH to call up should Marler be suspended.
Mullan's in the squad - unless he's injured, I'd have thought it would be him.
He would be next in line but I just doubt his test credentials. I wonder if Jones may go for a youngster. No idea who, mind.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

I'd not start Ford or Youngs.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:I'd not start Ford or Youngs.
I'd still be starting Ford and asking him to do more- more line kicking from pens and more passing at the gainline. Faz is doing a good Brad barritt impersonation in fairness, and spot on goal kicking yesterday. Interesting that he has been a better player since his dad left.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Dont think Manu will start so its as you were. Changes will wait for the tests in Australia.

Replacement loosehead? Easy, Mullan is next in line and will do a perfectly fine job if called upon.
bitts

Post by bitts »

perhaps swap Care and Youngs, maybe. that's all though. Keep the same team and let France make 10 changes.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What is Marler getting banned for? Calling Samson Lee a pikey?
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

- Care to start, Robson to bench (somehow!)
- Mullan to bench (Marler should be left at home regardless of the committees decision - make a point)
- Tuilagi to start, Farrell or Ford to bench (not sure which still)
- Clifford to start, Haskell to bench (regardless of how well Haskell went yesterday)

Maybe too many changes, but I think it's the steps we need to take to keep moving forward
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote:What is Marler getting banned for? Calling Samson Lee a pikey?
4 match ban if proven, according to the BBC. Apparently, it was clear on the match soundtrack so hard to defend, halftime apology or not.
bitts

Post by bitts »

Renniks wrote:- Care to start, Robson to bench (somehow!)
- Mullan to bench (Marler should be left at home regardless of the committees decision - make a point)
- Clifford to start, Haskell to bench (regardless of how well Haskell went yesterday)

Maybe too many changes, but I think it's the steps we need to take to keep moving forward

Brave to change so many before a GS game!

I'd keep it simple and bring through Clifford and Robson in Oz.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oakboy wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:What is Marler getting banned for? Calling Samson Lee a pikey?
4 match ban if proven, according to the BBC. Apparently, it was clear on the match soundtrack so hard to defend, halftime apology or not.
I was joking...

That's actually likely to happen? Ludicrous. Who cares.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

bitts wrote:
Renniks wrote:- Care to start, Robson to bench (somehow!)

Brave to change so many before a GS game!

I'd keep it simple and bring through Clifford and Robson in Oz.
You're probably right - but Youngs could easily lose us the GS game.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
I was joking...

Who cares about racial slurs? Uhm...

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/watch-eng ... prop/69566 - could also be cited for that; pretty clear punch.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Peat wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Oakboy wrote: 4 match ban if proven, according to the BBC. Apparently, it was clear on the match soundtrack so hard to defend, halftime apology or not.
I was joking...

Who cares about racial slurs? Uhm...

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/watch-eng ... prop/69566 - could also be cited for that; pretty clear punch.
I saw that at the time and I thought he was lucky to get away with it. He's clearly not the brightest - call someone a gypsy when standing next to the ref mic and punch someone in the act of scoring a try when you can guarantee every camera in the crowd is pointting at you. It's a shame as it was a top class performance otherwise.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Vunipola
LCD
Cole
Launchbury
Kruis
Itoje
Kvesic
Vunipola
Robson
Ford
Watson
Tuilagi
Joseph
Rokoduguni
Brown

Youngs
Mullan
Brookes
Launchbury
Clifford
Youngs
Cipriani
Pennell

I'm assuming no Marler, but for the forearm business, I couldn't care less if he may have offended gypsies.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Oakboy wrote:
Just how far down the age grades would you need to drop before someone wasn't called much worse? If that's a ban we'll have chaos should such standards be enforced
Peat

Post by Peat »

Digby wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Just how far down the age grades would you need to drop before someone wasn't called much worse? If that's a ban we'll have chaos should such standards be enforced
It's a ban. It's no different to the Saffa player who called an opponent gay, or John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand whatever he called him. The precedent is set, use racial (or homophobic) slurs for an opponent and there's a good chance you'll get in trouble.

And, oddly enough, we haven't had chaos yet. Maybe because most people aren't stupid enough to mouth off in that fashion right next to the ref on national TV.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It's just not cricket.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Tommy Taylor called up as a replacement for George.

Interesting choice… I imagine won't replace LCD in the match day 23 though
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Digby wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
I remember an England/Ireland game a few years ago (think it was Twickenham) where you could clearly hear an easily-identified Irish front rower call his English counterpart a "fat cnut". Nothing came of it at the time. I wonder if it would be citable these days? (I suppose it not racist, but perhaps "cnutist"?)
Harvey Quin

Post by Harvey Quin »

There's a difference between a racial/sexual slur and simply insulting someone. Much as I object to political correctness, if he said it he has to serve a ban of a few weeks.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Peat wrote:
Digby wrote:
Oakboy wrote: 4 match ban if proven, according to the BBC. Apparently, it was clear on the match soundtrack so hard to defend, halftime apology or not.
It's a ban. It's no different to the Saffa player who called an opponent gay, or John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand whatever he called him. The precedent is set, use racial (or homophobic) slurs for an opponent and there's a good chance you'll get in trouble.

And, oddly enough, we haven't had chaos yet. Maybe because most people aren't stupid enough to mouth off in that fashion right next to the ref on national TV.
Mostly it's not reported on. I guarantee there'll be many recordings of people being a fat, f**king, b**tard, c**t which seems worse to me than calling someone a gypsy boy. I'll not write what I think of the notion you can be offensive to gypsies on the basis that would almost certainly have to be pulled, and the courts in their wisdom have recognised them as race rather than absurdly anachronistic, but there is that gypsy refers to more than a race.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Spiffy wrote:
Digby wrote:
I remember an England/Ireland game a few years ago (think it was Twickenham) where you could clearly hear an easily-identified Irish front rower call his English counterpart a "fat cnut". Nothing came of it at the time. I wonder if it would be citable these days? (I suppose it not racist, but perhaps "cnutist"?)