V Wales Ratings Thread

Moderator: Puja

alx

Re: V Wales Ratings Thread

Post by alx »

Tigersman wrote:
fivepointer wrote:The offload did look forward.

EJ will hopefully look at alternatives for SH in Australia. Robson and Simpson should be in the mix but i'd really like to see Ben Spencer fast tracked.
Forgot Spencer, yep would have him ahead of Simpson ATM.
Have you watched Simpson at all this season before his injury?
"Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better"
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

alx wrote:
Tigersman wrote:
fivepointer wrote:The offload did look forward.

EJ will hopefully look at alternatives for SH in Australia. Robson and Simpson should be in the mix but i'd really like to see Ben Spencer fast tracked.
Forgot Spencer, yep would have him ahead of Simpson ATM.
Have you watched Simpson at all this season before his injury?
Or last season even? Something clicked with him about a year ago. Up until then he made Youngs look like a decisive genius, Simpson really was king of the ditherers. Not now. The rest of his game is simply ahead of Youngs.

I'm with our FB on this, his stifling of our backline has reached comical proportions (he actually wasn't as bad as usual v Wales on the whole, but there were still "incidents"). Again, the fact that Care brings an improvement is not a reason to retain Care either. Please can we just have a look at other players?
Stom

Post by Stom »

This is a ranking thread, so I will take it back to its origins in my first post on the game (no internet at home).

Marler - 7
Hartley - 7
Cole - 7
Itoje - 9
Kruis - 7
Robshaw - 7
Haskell - 7
Vunipola - 7
Youngs - 5
Ford - First 50 - 8, rest of the game - 2
Watson - 7
Farrell - 7
Joseph - 7
Nowell - 8
Brown - 7

After the chargedown, Ford seemed to lose it, completely. It was, frankly, terrible. He still seems low on confidence, which is a big problem. He is the best game manager we have, but if he's lost his confidence...

Youngs may have done well with decision making around the fringes, but his passing is still excrutiating.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:This is a ranking thread, so I will take it back to its origins in my first post on the game (no internet at home).

Marler - 7
Hartley - 7
Cole - 7
Itoje - 9
Kruis - 7
Robshaw - 7
Haskell - 7
Vunipola - 7
Youngs - 5
Watson - 7
Farrell - 7
Joseph - 7
Nowell - 8
Brown - 7

After the chargedown, Ford seemed to lose it, completely. It was, frankly, terrible. He still seems low on confidence, which is a big problem. He is the best game manager we have, but if he's lost his confidence...

Youngs may have done well with decision making around the fringes, but his passing is still excrutiating.
what did he do in those 10 minutes from charge down (53) to yanked (63) out of interest- I don't remember anything other than the chargedown, but I was in drink, slightly.
Bit kind to Nowell, given 4 missed tackles and a pretty poor decision on North's try (though could be a function of change inside him).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

As ever I don't know if Nowell was kind of good or kind of crap.

Basically everyone gets a 7 from me too, except Ford - 5 or 6, Youngs - 3, Itoje 25, bench - 5
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:As ever I don't know if Nowell was kind of good or kind of crap.

Basically everyone gets a 7 from me too, except Ford - 5 or 6, Youngs - 3, Itoje 25
I guess Ford gets a minus point or two for the charge down?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:As ever I don't know if Nowell was kind of good or kind of crap.

Basically everyone gets a 7 from me too, except Ford - 5 or 6, Youngs - 3, Itoje 25
I guess Ford gets a minus point or two for the charge down?
I was a bit torn on that one. We seemed to lack a bit of direction in general when exiting our 22, but thinking about it most of his questionable play followed horrendous passes from Youngs.

I thought he got stuck in in defence as well. It's hard to say if that's the sort of thing I'd award any other fly-half extra points for though.
thedman

Post by thedman »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:This is a ranking thread, so I will take it back to its origins in my first post on the game (no internet at home).

Marler - 7
Hartley - 7
Cole - 7
Itoje - 9
Kruis - 7
Robshaw - 7
Haskell - 7
Vunipola - 7
Youngs - 5
Watson - 7
Farrell - 7
Joseph - 7
Nowell - 8
Brown - 7

what did he do in those 10 minutes from charge down (53) to yanked (63) out of interest- I don't remember anything other than the chargedown, but I was in drink, slightly.
Bit kind to Nowell, given 4 missed tackles and a pretty poor decision on North's try (though could be a function of change inside him).
He tried to run it out from our own 22 and ran straight into Jamie Roberts. That made me worry a bit about his state of mind.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

thedman wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Marler - 7
Hartley - 7
Cole - 7
Itoje - 9
Kruis - 7
Robshaw - 7
Haskell - 7
Vunipola - 7
Youngs - 5
Watson - 7
Farrell - 7
Joseph - 7
Nowell - 8
Brown - 7

He tried to run it out from our own 22 and ran straight into Jamie Roberts. That made me worry a bit about his state of mind.
There was an overlap. It was probably the correct call but the execution was poor. On top form he'd have nailed it but he's not, and Roberts' d is top notch in this campaign.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Mellsblue wrote:
thedman wrote:
Banquo wrote:
There was an overlap. It was probably the correct call but the execution was poor. On top form he'd have nailed it but he's not, and Roberts' d is top notch in this campaign.
I don't think it was the right call, though I do put a lot down to Roberts defence. He showed Ford the inside gap and promptly closed it when he bit on the bait.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
thedman wrote:
I don't think it was the right call, though I do put a lot down to Roberts defence. He showed Ford the inside gap and promptly closed it when he bit on the bait.
I thought it was the correct call - overlap with plenty of room to work in. I'd want my team to try and exploit that wherever they are on the pitch.
Epaminondas Pules

Mellsblue wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
I thought it was the correct call - overlap with plenty of room to work in. I'd want my team to try and exploit that wherever they are on the pitch.
But the method to attempt to exploit was a bad one. The ball had to go wide allowing him to support for a return inside ball. 3 v 2 has to go wide, especially in your own 22.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
But the method to attempt to exploit was a bad one. The ball had to go wide allowing him to support for a return inside ball. 3 v 2 has to go wide, especially in your own 22.
I think we're agreeing - right idea but (piss) poor execution.
Epaminondas Pules

Mellsblue wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
I think we're agreeing - right idea but (piss) poor execution.
I think you're right.