Good TV Shows

OptimisticJock

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by OptimisticJock »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
SerjeantWildgoose wrote:Watched Bendylicks Cummerbund in McEwan's Child in Time on the Beeb last night.

It has garnered quite a mixed bag by way of review but while it was always going to be impossible to cram all of the complexities from the book into a 90-minute TV drama, I thought that this was excellent and captured just enough weirdness to remain true to the book. Worth a watch on iPlayer if you missed it.
I've not read the book but I couldn't get into it all.
Aye, but I bet you were creaming in your issue anti-microbials over Casualty on Saturday.
:lol: fuck aye. Never miss it.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:Watched Bendylicks Cummerbund in McEwan's Child in Time on the Beeb last night.

It has garnered quite a mixed bag by way of review but while it was always going to be impossible to cram all of the complexities from the book into a 90-minute TV drama, I thought that this was excellent and captured just enough weirdness to remain true to the book. Worth a watch on iPlayer if you missed it.
I've not read the book. It certainly looked like it was trying to do some things which didn't quite work on the screen, particularly with the guy who returns to his childhood, and the ending was a bit weak. But it was reasonably enjoyable, well acted and filmed etc.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Expectations are necessarily high for a series based on Philip K Dick's short stories, but Electric Dreams lives up to them for episode one, The Hood Maker. Understandably, they made this opener very Blade Runner-esque indeed (and why not?). I can't remember how much this departs from the original, but this story of a powerful but suppressed minority had enough ideas for a whole series. Great fun, high quality throughout.
The Impossible Planet was a much quieter piece, the kind of thoughtful SciFi we don't see much of. The ending wasn't really twisty enough and too ambiguous for my liking, but as a whole it was nicely done.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:My god, why did it take me this long to try Narcos? One episode in it looks brilliant.

And did nobody here watch Ozark?
I've seen all of Ozark, interesting although flawed in some of the plot and it seems that Scottish felly is in everything these days.
Yeah there were some weirdly contrived moments, and Peter Mullan as much as I love him cannot do a southern accent, but I thought it was fantastic overall. The Jason Bateman directed episodes were really impressive, some of the others not so much.
► Show Spoiler
I'm not sure how to do the no spoilers thingy but I thought the attempted murder of a family member by someone was a little far fetched, if that makes any sense to you at all :? .
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Just smashed out the last couple of episodes of Narcos. There's not many tv programmes that keep captivated like that has. I'll need to do some research into the drug war to see what liberties they took.

Edit: hope they go ahead with season 4.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

The Vietnam War documentary on BBC4 got off to a decent start. Don't know a great deal about it but enjoying it so far. I didn't realise just how much of a kicking the French got.
Adder

Post by Adder »

OptimisticJock wrote:The Vietnam War documentary on BBC4 got off to a decent start. Don't know a great deal about it but enjoying it so far. I didn't realise just how much of a kicking the French got.
Will have a look :)

It was straight after WWII and France was never capable of wagering one so far away. Foreign Legion (full of ex nazis soldiers) got owned.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It's not TV but I listened to one of Dan Carlin's hardcore histories podcasts the other day and it was great. I like the idea of being in to history but I don't normally have the attention span. This was fantastic though. I actually felt like I was understanding why it was useful and relevant today to understand how these things played out, which is something I never felt at school.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Finished season 3 of Narcos, it is brilliant throughout - not much need for filler when you've got a story like that.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I got massively excited at the first episode of Narcos then quickly got sick of stupid butch, blonde Mr. USA lead character and stopped watching after 3 episodes. Am I being unfair? Is he a douchebag? Is he meant to be that much of a douchebag? I get that it's actually based on a real guy, but he is incredibly distracting.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Adder wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:The Vietnam War documentary on BBC4 got off to a decent start. Don't know a great deal about it but enjoying it so far. I didn't realise just how much of a kicking the French got.
Haven't see it but read a lot about it in the non-mainstream press. Americans still wrestling with the ghosts of that genocidal war - and still unable to accept full responsibility for it, by the sounds of things.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

paddy no 11 wrote:Finished season 3 of Narcos, it is brilliant throughout - not much need for filler when you've got a story like that.
I really hope they go through with season 4.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Yeah, be nice to bring it from Columbia in the 80's to Americas doorstep in the last few years
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Vice Principles has started the second series, if you like Danny McBride then you'll like this.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Top of the lake. Binge watched both seasons recently. Plot comes across as contrived and predictable, despite that, ended up watching both seasons very quickly as it does pull you in. The first season based in NZ was kind of cool just to take in the South Island landscapes.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Mikey Brown wrote:I got massively excited at the first episode of Narcos then quickly got sick of stupid butch, blonde Mr. USA lead character and stopped watching after 3 episodes. Am I being unfair? Is he a douchebag? Is he meant to be that much of a douchebag? I get that it's actually based on a real guy, but he is incredibly distracting.
Definitely worth sticking with, just side with Pena and it'll get you through - be up there with the wire as best series iv'e seen and its far too broad to allow one character throw you off
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:Vice Principles has started the second series, if you like Danny McBride then you'll like this.
I've been watching it since the start. It's ok, but extremely far fetched.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Back (Mitchell and Webb) deserves a mention.

Quite funny, decent enough storyline.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Got thru episode 1 of Vietnam last night -excellent stuff, almost too much info there will watch em all
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Loving the Vietnam documentary. It's not something I know a huge amount about. Wish they'd mentioned begging for The Black Watch though.

Watched the first couple of Mindhunters, drama about how the FBI started their criminal/behavioural profiling. Enjoyable so far and appears to be based on fact.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

OptimisticJock wrote:Loving the Vietnam documentary. It's not something I know a huge amount about. Wish they'd mentioned begging for The Black Watch though.

Watched the first couple of Mindhunters, drama about how the FBI started their criminal/behavioural profiling. Enjoyable so far and appears to be based on fact.
Been watching "Army, Behind the New Frontlines" ?
Interested in your thoughts if you have (and yours Serje)
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Stones of granite wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Loving the Vietnam documentary. It's not something I know a huge amount about. Wish they'd mentioned begging for The Black Watch though.

Been watching "Army, Behind the New Frontlines" ?
Interested in your thoughts if you have (and yours Serje)
Got them recorded but haven't got round to watching it yet. I see the first one is about OP SHADER which the Watch are about to go on.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Well!

Episode 1 spent an hour following 1 RIFLES and 4 RIFLES in Iraq and Episode 2 spent an hour following 5 RIFLES in Canada and Estonia - it even had a short cameo appearance from CGS, General Nick Carter of er ..., yes you've guessed it, the fecking RIFLES!!!!

It used to be that the Army was only the PARAS; seems now that its only the RIFLES.
Idle Feck
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

:lol:

They got the "best unit" award from that shite millies thing on Herrick 10. Despite the fact they lost a whole platoon with 25% of their battalion injured. Some cunt must love them.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Presumably the next episode will follow the STABS of 6 and 7 RIFLES getting shit-faced on annual camp in Barry Buddon?
Idle Feck