Scotland vs France

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: Scotland vs France

Post by Mikey Brown »

Donny osmond wrote:this is perhaps the most disappointing win I can remember seeing from Scotland. If i were French I'd be fuming at how my team have gift wrapped it for the opposition. From our point of view, as switch said earlier, this win is just going to paper over some pretty major cracks.

That being said, as far as post WC rebuilding goes, it's the sort of win that really matters, and fair play to the boys on their defensive effort. meh.
Interesting. I'm actually pretty pleased with that. Not pretty, poor execution, but that's exactly the sort of position we get ourselves in to and then fluff it.

So perhaps as much a matter of low expectations, but if this provides a stepping stone to a good performance next week (and lets be honest how often do we back up a win [even vs Italy] with another?) vs Wales I might start to have some hope that this new edge of grit/physicality is more than just a superficial one.

Still really want someone to step up at 8. Decision making/execution at half-backs dodgy at times too.

Weir's inclusion predictably pretty pointless.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:this is perhaps the most disappointing win I can remember seeing from Scotland. If i were French I'd be fuming at how my team have gift wrapped it for the opposition. From our point of view, as switch said earlier, this win is just going to paper over some pretty major cracks.

That being said, as far as post WC rebuilding goes, it's the sort of win that really matters, and fair play to the boys on their defensive effort. meh.
Interesting. I'm actually pretty pleased with that. Not pretty, poor execution, but that's exactly the sort of position we get ourselves in to and then fluff it.

So perhaps as much a matter of low expectations, but if this provides a stepping stone to a good performance next week (and lets be honest how often do we back up a win [even vs Italy] with another?) vs Wales I might start to have some hope that this new edge of grit/physicality is more than just a superficial one.

Still really want someone to step up at 8. Decision making/execution at half-backs dodgy at times too.

yeah that's fair, maybe i've been too hard on them. good point about backing up performances and results.
tigran

Post by tigran »

Ross. S wrote:
francoisfou wrote:
Ross. S wrote:
Hes French, hes used to not winning grand slams :lol:
The banter’s been good until you threw in these unnecessary words. Hope you’re feeling happy with a well-earned win.
The Jocks winning has zero impact on my happiness other than Wales remain GS holders. I'm just enjoying winding Tigs up with his own arrogance :lol:
Slams are way more important for you than for me, normal when one is 15 years old..
Big D

Post by Big D »

Donny osmond wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:

yeah that's fair, maybe i've been too hard on them. good point about backing up performances and results.
Next week will tell us more. Today we put away a decent side with 14men. Which we should do.

The team and coaches deserve praise for today but we need to see something better than most recent away days to win next week.
tigran

Post by tigran »

Cheers Switch and all, apart from all our bad lucks and stuff your team has shown its quality...Too bad you didn't finish Ireland and England
normanski

Post by normanski »

Well done you deserved that win even if it wasn’t pretty at times. So no tournament grand slam this year.

I think Wales will be a different kettle of fish next Saturday.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Ross. S wrote:
francoisfou wrote:
Ross. S wrote:
Hes French, hes used to not winning grand slams :lol:
The banter’s been good until you threw in these unnecessary words. Hope you’re feeling happy with a well-earned win.
The Jocks winning has zero impact on my happiness other than Wales remain GS holders. I'm just enjoying winding Tigs up with his own arrogance :lol:
I’m not even sure your mates at school would be impressed with that.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

France manhandled England (for 40 mins), almost lost to Wales even though they were the better side and lets not forget are the only side to CONCEDE A POINT it Italy but the French Arrogance is firmly back as shown by certain posters here, its all bad luck to France or cheating opponants when the reality is that France turned up expecting to win by just being there, played utter shite then lost their minds because they were getting dicked. Scotland did well but couldn't muster a BP after 50+ mins with a man up, SA, NZ, England, Ireland and probably Wales would have put 40+ on the board
tigran

Post by tigran »

Ross. S wrote:France manhandled England (for 40 mins), almost lost to Wales even though they were the better side and lets not forget are the only side to CONCEDE A POINT it Italy but the French Arrogance is firmly back as shown by certain posters here, its all bad luck to France or cheating opponants when the reality is that France turned up expecting to win by just being there, played utter shite then lost their minds because they were getting dicked. Scotland did well but couldn't muster a BP after 50+ mins with a man up, SA, NZ, England, Ireland and probably Wales would have put 40+ on the board
I love it when such poster accuses anyone of arrogance..
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Ross. S wrote: Scotland did well but couldn't muster a BP after 50+ mins with a man up, SA, NZ, England, Ireland and probably Wales would have put 40+ on the board
This is my issue with the performance today
tigran

Post by tigran »

Don't worry, Wales will win again some day... I'm leaving you and your bad drivel, thanks for entertaining me a bit but I won't lose anymore time with you
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

tigran wrote:Don't worry, Wales will win again some day... I'm leaving you and your bad drivel, thanks for entertaining me a bit but I won't lose anymore time with you
Thats right, sulk off back to the French board to talk to yourself :lol:
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

switchskier wrote:Did I just hear Cotter say that Haining used to be a winger? Even Roly Reid would have been quicker.

he did, but honestly, did you ever see Roly Reid in full flight. He was seriously quick. In a straight line. Fastest at Glasgow until Thom Evans arrived. And over 100m I'm not sure who would have won. And that was training to play back row
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

great result some v good performances but so many weaknesses still to fix
Big D

Post by Big D »

Still septic wrote:
switchskier wrote:Did I just hear Cotter say that Haining used to be a winger? Even Roly Reid would have been quicker.

he did, but honestly, did you ever see Roly Reid in full flight. He was seriously quick. In a straight line. Fastest at Glasgow until Thom Evans arrived. And over 100m I'm not sure who would have won. And that was training to play back row
Aye people forget Roly was a sub 11sec 100m runner at his quickest back in SA.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Did France turn up expecting to win at a ground where they often struggle? I hope not, but it's a young side, and this defeat, painful as it was, could be the reality check that was needed.
The Irish, however, will probably feeling quite good now ahead of next Saturday's game at the Stade de France.
Last edited by francoisfou on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Initial stats have of halves missing 12 tackles.
Living up to a very old stereotype there lads.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

L’ecosse were very good today. Je pense they would have won irrespective of the carte rouge. Just seemed a bit more together than the French. #asone.

I also think that we’re in danger of being overly harsh on the team. There are always “work ons”. Papering over the cracks is a bit harsh. So often we play well and get nowt - this win was deserved. Well played - now sort out Cardiff and put a marker down for next year.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Line-out is still pish, mind.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

And fringe defence was where french picked us off a bit - wales will have noticed that. However, another good performance and you never know.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I’ll be cheering for you next week but may not see the game as I’ll be in Paris for what should have been a shot at a Slam. Good stuff from your players today although I was surprised that Hamish Watson wasn’t man of the match. He’s a gem of a wing forward.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Some really good performances in there. Watson and Ritchie really took the game to a French backrow that has dominated others in this 6N. Sutherland was great in the scrum and really got around. Gilchrist had his best game for Scotland in a long time and didn't give away stupid penalties. And Hogg was indirectly responsible for all three tries.

However I think that the ceiling playing that way is fairly low. It was destructive rather than our half backs particularly managing the game and we didn't really put together a backs move of significance other than the first try. Take the win by all means but I'm not confident going into Cardiff.

Hard luck for the French but they can take some heart from the fact that they didn't stop playing. It would have been interesting to see how Ntamack got on with a bit more of a mess in front of him.
ARM

Post by ARM »

You need to pull your knickers out of your crack.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Always a little flat when it's against 14 men unless you absolutely destroy them (a bonus point at the end would have helped) but I think they consolidated the gains in physicality and defence from the previous matches.

Some hints of more ideas near the line but I really hope we get real attacking spark back at some point. Having said that, round the world, kicking long and defending well seems to be on top at the moment.

Individually, Ritchie and Watson were very good. Also thought Hastings was decent with a big part in two of the tries. I'll admit, I'm okay with Harris keeping his place for next week too.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Man, that Watson is a demon. Loves to play and knows exactly when to go full beserker. Just an 80 minute dog focused on chasing the fall around.