NFL Draft

Mellsblue

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Not this week, it seems. Another loss which doesn’t help our draft pick but may worsen the position of the Bears pick that we hold after the trade in this years draft.
On the plus side, we do now hold the record for the lowest passing yards for a single game in the history of the NFL with -10.
Ouch, who was QB for that effort? Not as if the bears are even a good outfit this season.

Watching the dawn of the Trey Lance niners. It's not pretty. He's holding the ball so long and looks indecisive. Needs game time but he can't play a playoff game yet, if we get there, which is looking unlikely.

Brown surely out of nfl chances now?

Glennon. He’s been shocking but he has a matter of milliseconds before the omnishambles/turn style that is the o-line let the floodgates open.

Lance was always a raw talent. Surely no way your lot thought he’d be ready this season.

The Brown… erm…. thing is very weird. Arians has already confirmed Bucs have released him and, as you intimate, surely nobody else picks him up.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Not this week, it seems. Another loss which doesn’t help our draft pick but may worsen the position of the Bears pick that we hold after the trade in this years draft.
On the plus side, we do now hold the record for the lowest passing yards for a single game in the history of the NFL with -10.
Ouch, who was QB for that effort? Not as if the bears are even a good outfit this season.

Watching the dawn of the Trey Lance niners. It's not pretty. He's holding the ball so long and looks indecisive. Needs game time but he can't play a playoff game yet, if we get there, which is looking unlikely.

Glennon. He’s been shocking but he has a matter of milliseconds before the omnishambles/turn style that is the o-line let the floodgates open.

Lance was always a raw talent. Surely no way your lot thought he’d be ready this season.

The Brown… erm…. thing is very weird. Arians has already confirmed Bucs have released him and, as you intimate, surely nobody else picks him up.
There's been a live debate amongst niners talking heads all season about whether Lance can get ready without actual game time. For me, today suggests that watching isn't enough and that's an issue as the rest of the team is built to win now (apart from some terrible corners).

The O-line is that bad for the giants? Looking at the stat sheet it still looks like there's talent there. Can't understand only throwing once a game to
Golliday. If nothing else is working he should at least be a jump ball option.

Surely judge and gettleman have to be gone now? Twitter seems to be turning on judge after his press conference today.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

There's been a live debate amongst niners talking heads all season about whether Lance can get ready without actual game time. For me, today suggests that watching isn't enough and that's an issue as the rest of the team is built to win now (apart from some terrible corners).

The O-line is that bad for the giants? Looking at the stat sheet it still looks like there's talent there. Can't understand only throwing once a game to
Golliday. If nothing else is working he should at least be a jump ball option.

Surely judge and gettleman have to be gone now? Twitter seems to be turning on judge after his press conference today.
I do wonder whether the rumours that Mac Jones was seriously in consideration were more true than many thought, for that very reason. The fact he’s easily had the best season of all rookie QBs…..

The o-line is that bad. Thomas at left tackle has been brilliant. Solder is way past it at right tackle but was still good enough to keep out Peart the no99 pick from the 2020 draft. When Solder was on covid reserve a couple of weeks ago Peart got a chance to nail down the spot and tore his ACL in the first quarter. We lost our left guard, 5th round pick from 2020, who is a terrible pass blocker but decent run blocker, in pre-season. We then moved our center, Gates, to lg but lost him to injury in the second match of the season and replaced him with a journey man in Skura who looked good in the first match and has been poor to bad ever since. The other guard is Hernandez who was no34 pick in the same draft as Barkley but has only gotten worse after a very promising rookie year and is literally unable to pick up a stunt. The center we’ve had all season, Price, was traded from the Browns late in pre-season. He had been hopeless but had started to improve through December only for his wife to have a miss carriage and he therefore didn’t play yesterday. The consensus opinion is that only player good enough is Thomas with Gates also up to it if he can come back the same player; however, there are rumours his injury is career threatening. There are enough flashes from Peart to hope he can be a good swing tackle at worst but, that said, the o line coach stated in a press conference only 3/4 weeks ago that he’s not nasty enough. There seems to be an agreement that Price has done enough in the last few weeks to be kept as back up and he does have first round pedigree only to be perma-injured until this season. Soooooo…. it’s a complete mess. The only plus side is that Glennon’s performances have highlighted that Jones actually did a pretty good job in a very bad situation. Glennon isn’t Dan Marino but is good enough to win two matches for the Cards last season only to look like a complete amateur for the Giants this season. Not that anyone is convinced Jones is definitely the answer.

It’s taken as written that Gettleman is gone but rumours are his assistant is odds on to be his replacement….
All indications were that Judge was safe with numerous beat writers citing numerous sources; however, yesterday’s game and the weird press conference rant seem to have turned the tide with the twitterati and even some of the most supportive beat writers.

It could be a fun off season….well, not in free agency where we have the third least amount of money to spend.

It’s all a complete mess.

Apols for the long post. It turned in to a bit of a therapy session!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I didn’t quite have the o-line shenanigans correct. The replacement for the first choice LG was a late trade for Baltimore 2020 4th rounder Ben Bredeson. He lasted 4/5 games before injuring his hand and has been in and out of the line up ever since. Gates moved from center to rg before being injured and replaced by Hernandez. #deckchairsonthetitanic
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

……..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:……..

That's some lack of faith in your offense.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:

This is when I completely and utterly gave up. Last week we had a similar situation and it ended up with two runs for a loss with the second being a safety. The offence is a complete shambles and the o-line is a disaster zone. In six matches we’ve scored two touchdowns that weren’t in garbage time. Yesterday’s was only because Wash were in complete shock that we passed it and that Fromm’s noodle arm threw further than 20 yards. You could see Slayton go deep and the defence just not bother with him cos it’s the Giants. Im just hoping that this week sees the back of Gettleman and there are strong rumours that Judge is only staying if the new GM decides so with no pressure from the owners. I’m done with Judge, as is almost everyone else going by Twatter, but I’m not sure Mara is.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

This is when I completely and utterly gave up. Last week we had a similar situation and it ended up with two runs for a loss with the second being a safety. The offence is a complete shambles and the o-line is a disaster zone. In six matches we’ve scored two touchdowns that weren’t in garbage time. Yesterday’s was only because Wash were in complete shock that we passed it and that Fromm’s noodle arm threw further than 20 yards. You could see Slayton go deep and the defence just not bother with him cos it’s the Giants. Im just hoping that this week sees the back of Gettleman and there are strong rumours that Judge is only staying if the new GM decides so with no pressure from the owners. I’m done with Judge, as is almost everyone else going by Twatter, but I’m not sure Mara is.
Gettleman has retired rather than waiting to be fired. If he was really going to retire that could have been agreed weeks ago and the giants could have had their preferred candidate ready to go.

Looks like judge is staying though. That's going to make it harder to bring in a top GM. I always think that you should hire the GM and head coach together.

Flores gone from the dolphins which is a small surprise (not a huge one given their owner). Some smart team will snap him up fast. Nagy and Fangio also gone. Broncos job looks like a good one to get.

Feeling quite frustrated as I haven't been able to watch the niners game yet due to blackout restrictions. Game against the Cowboys is always one to looks forward to.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

Gettleman has retired rather than waiting to be fired. If he was really going to retire that could have been agreed weeks ago and the giants could have had their preferred candidate ready to go.

Looks like judge is staying though. That's going to make it harder to bring in a top GM. I always think that you should hire the GM and head coach together.

Flores gone from the dolphins which is a small surprise (not a huge one given their owner). Some smart team will snap him up fast. Nagy and Fangio also gone. Broncos job looks like a good one to get.

Feeling quite frustrated as I haven't been able to watch the niners game yet due to blackout restrictions. Game against the Cowboys is always one to looks forward to.
The fact he was allowed to ‘retire’ has been the rumour for weeks. The more I read it seems Mara is overly loyal and rather than do what is best for the team he’s allowed Gettleman to retire to retain face, despite everyone knowing it’s a sham. I’m also reading from loads of sources that the main reason that Judge is staying is so they won’t have fired three coaches in five years, which is a terrible way to run a franchise. To complete the muddled thinking there are a lot of rumours that Mara will just promote the Assistant GM so he can be confident the GM and HC will gel. What a mess.

Looks like we have seven GM interviews lined up, including two from the 49er’s: Adam Peters and Ran Carthon.

I sure Flores will be picked up quickly. It seems he went because he doesnt rate Tua….. imagine being the owner and deciding to side with the GM who though Tua was better than Herbert. Ooooh where the Giants could be if Herbert had declared a year earlier. It’s an open secret that Gettleman had him ranked as his no1 QB in 2019.

Congrats on making the playoffs. If one of your QBs can go on a hot run you must fancy your chances?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I'm hoping that Peters stays. He's apparently does a huge amount of the traditional GM stuff that allows Lynch space to step back, oversee and be more strategic as well as set tone and culture. It seems to work well and Peters is integral to our drafting and college scouting. He's been rumoured to get a full GM gig for a few years but has chosen to stay put.

Feeling good that we're in the playoffs. It should never have been in doubt but two dumb losses to the Seahawks who have our number made it far too close. Only really two bad losses on the season to the Colt McVoy Cardinals and to the Colts in the rain.

Think that we're a tough out for anyone but I don't see us winning another four straight. Our formula relies on too many things going right to run the ball well and the corners remain too vulnerable. Every team has success throwing outside the numbers against us and then weirdly goes away from it. It's like it's so ingrained into coordinators that they must run the ball that they ignore the easy PIs and soft underneath coverage that we give up when challenged.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

Wouldn't touch the Broncos job with a barge pole. They are in the midst of a court case to allow the family to sell IIRC. Not a good time to take that job IMO.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Judge is gone. I can only assume a good number of the GM candidates said they’d only be interested if they could pick their own HC. That or the weight of s**t produced over the last six games finally tipped the scales far enough.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

How bout dem niners?

Every game should be a niners - cowboys game, though I'm not sure my heart could take it. And to do it without bosa for the second half is remarkable.

Big D must be feeling good about the Bills after that beat down of the Patriots.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Great result. Just seen your reward is playing the Pakers! Was there controversy with the officials? I’ve seen that Dak might be in trouble for praising the fans for throwing objects at them.

A lot of the beat writers think the Bills duo of Schoen and Daboll are the favourites for the Giants jobs. Can’t say I’d be too displeased if that were the case.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:Great result. Just seen your reward is playing the Pakers! Was there controversy with the officials? I’ve seen that Dak might be in trouble for praising the fans for throwing objects at them.

A lot of the beat writers think the Bills duo of Schoen and Daboll are the favourites for the Giants jobs. Can’t say I’d be too displeased if that were the case.
At the end of the game the cowboys had to drive 80 yards in around 30 seconds to score a touchdown to win the game. We played some ridiculously soft defence to get them to 40 out with 24 seconds left. Prescott runs for 15 on a designed QB run but the Cowboys fail to spike it in time because the rule is that the ref has to touch and spot the ball before you can run a play and Prescott handed it to his centre, not the ref.

Cowboys own fault for not knowing the rules and for a really stupid play call. Mccarthy doing what he does best by missmanaging the game. But we should never have allowed it to be an issue with at least four huge errors in the fourth quarter, any one of which would have let us put the game away if properly executed.

Packers on Saturday will be tough but you can at least run on them a little. I feel that tampa would have been a worse match up. Rodgers and co strong favourites though and we have no chance if Bosa and Warner aren't fit. Chiefs - Bills is the premium match up next weekend though.

Daboll is definitely getting a HC gig this time around. Would be a good hire I reckon. Don't know Schoen though.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Great result. Just seen your reward is playing the Pakers! Was there controversy with the officials? I’ve seen that Dak might be in trouble for praising the fans for throwing objects at them.

At the end of the game the cowboys had to drive 80 yards in around 30 seconds to score a touchdown to win the game. We played some ridiculously soft defence to get them to 40 out with 24 seconds left. Prescott runs for 15 on a designed QB run but the Cowboys fail to spike it in time because the rule is that the ref has to touch and spot the ball before you can run a play and Prescott handed it to his centre, not the ref.

Cowboys own fault for not knowing the rules and for a really stupid play call. Mccarthy doing what he does best by missmanaging the game. But we should never have allowed it to be an issue with at least four huge errors in the fourth quarter, any one of which would have let us put the game away if properly executed.

Packers on Saturday will be tough but you can at least run on them a little. I feel that tampa would have been a worse match up. Rodgers and co strong favourites though and we have no chance if Bosa and Warner aren't fit. Chiefs - Bills is the premium match up next weekend though.

Daboll is definitely getting a HC gig this time around. Would be a good hire I reckon. Don't know Schoen though.
Sounds like Dak trying to deflect from his own cockup.

Chiefs v Bills could be amazing. Both QBs look in great form.

Yeah. I’ve little to no idea about any of the GM candidates. All the Giants’ candidates are from teams that have drafted well over the last 5 years or longer….. which is wise given Gettleman has left us no money for free agency over the next couple of years.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Big D must be feeling good about the Bills after that beat down of the Patriots.
In terms of the play offs I guess it is just one more win and on to next week.

In terms of going forward in the division it was a hell of a statement. The pleasing thing is that they haven't really let Gabe lose yet despite being our second best receiver.

And we have the best safety combo in the NFL and no one can tell me otherwise :-)

Good win for your boys too.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mellsblue wrote: A lot of the beat writers think the Bills duo of Schoen and Daboll are the favourites for the Giants jobs. Can’t say I’d be too displeased if that were the case.
Schoen is one of the key parts of the team Beane has built in our front office. He will do a good job if given the time and space to do his thing.

Daboll is an interesting one, he is undoubtedly responsible for the scheme etc, but he has sometimes gone too far. They have a better balance now. I think Dorsey will step up from QB coach to OC for us.

You may have competition from Chicago for both. Frazier may get that gig.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote:

The penalties were ludicrous in the game.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Given the turgid shite Garrett, Kitchens, Glennon and Fromm have served up I look forward to the day someone goes too far. We also have a not as good Josh Allen at QB so he wouldn’t have to change too much….. assuming we don’t draft a QB in April.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

Yeah. I’ve little to no idea about any of the GM candidates. All the Giants’ candidates are from teams that have drafted well over the last 5 years or longer….. which is wise given Gettleman has left us no money for free agency over the next couple of years.
I've just seen Daks press conference comments. Real lack of class. It's not ok for fans to throw bottles at his team (which should be obvious) because they work really hard but it's fine to throw them at officials (because they don't work hard obviously).

Cowboys are a hugely talented but ill-disciplined mess. If they hired an elite HC then they'd be real contenders. Culture does matter I think Don't get the Kellen Moore hype either - he failed to challenge our vulnerability at corner, apart from the one touchdown pass.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
switchskier wrote:

I've just seen Daks press conference comments. Real lack of class. It's not ok for fans to throw bottles at his team (which should be obvious) because they work really hard but it's fine to throw them at officials (because they don't work hard obviously).

Cowboys are a hugely talented but ill-disciplined mess. If they hired an elite HC then they'd be real contenders. Culture does matter I think Don't get the Kellen Moore hype either - he failed to challenge our vulnerability at corner, apart from the one touchdown pass.
Moore has been in convo for some of the HC vacancies, he might even have interviews, but, as you say, it seems far too early.
Happy for the Cowboys to be less than the sum of their parts for as long as possible. Still good enough to win the NFClEast though…….
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

The Giants are interviewing the two 49ers candidates today. Dropping in the fact they helped build a roster that beat the ‘boys should gain a couple of positive marks!
Big D

Post by Big D »

I love this. A starting QB of another team supporting the team he loves like the fans that adore him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Schoen had a second interview today. Ryan Poles tomorrow, who has also had an interview with the Vikings. Yet more noise from beat writers that Schoen is the man to beat.