Good TV Shows

Mikey Brown

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Mikey Brown »

The first two series are like a completely different show, after seeing how ridiculous it all gets.

Just watched the first 3 of American Gods
► Show Spoiler
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

4th episode was brilliant. Fair enough.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Mikey Brown wrote:4th episode was brilliant. Fair enough.
5.44am, Fella..?. You been on the box sets..?.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

kk67 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:4th episode was brilliant. Fair enough.
5.44am, Fella..?. You been on the box sets..?.
It's horribly depressing that that post was actually me killing time on the way to work.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Mikey Brown wrote:The first two series are like a completely different show, after seeing how ridiculous it all gets.
Had forgotten, or missed quite a few scenes from first time round. The occasional chance meetings are a little far fetched, but they all help to highlight Walt's slide, or elevation into notoriety and were done extremely well. Skyler remains a total bitch though.

There was one small camera shot that resonated with American Gods. Walt was in a DIY store buying some bits to fix his rot problems. A camera angle underneath the trolly focusing on a dodgy trolley wheel was used. They used a very similar shot in American Gods. I'm sure it's been done before and since then too but I liked it and thought I'd share.

Can vaguely recall being very impressed with a scene in a later series where Walt is in a cabin on the run. Thought the atmosphere in the scene was outstanding, but that's quite a few episodes away.

Bob Odenkirk as Saul is just excellent though. I really should have another look at Better Call Saul.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:The first two series are like a completely different show, after seeing how ridiculous it all gets.
Had forgotten, or missed quite a few scenes from first time round. The occasional chance meetings are a little far fetched, but they all help to highlight Walt's slide, or elevation into notoriety and were done extremely well. Skyler remains a total bitch though.

There was one small camera shot that resonated with American Gods. Walt was in a DIY store buying some bits to fix his rot problems. A camera angle underneath the trolly focusing on a dodgy trolley wheel was used. They used a very similar shot in American Gods. I'm sure it's been done before and since then too but I liked it and thought I'd share.

Can vaguely recall being very impressed with a scene in a later series where Walt is in a cabin on the run. Thought the atmosphere in the scene was outstanding, but that's quite a few episodes away.

Bob Odenkirk as Saul is just excellent though. I really should have another look at Better Call Saul.
It's slow moving but it's getting there, the latest series has Gus Fring and Hector Salamanca is in sans bell and wheelchair.
bruce

Post by bruce »

What happened to the latest series of Homeland? Channel 4 showed about 3 or 4 episodes and it seems to have disappeared.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:

It's slow moving but it's getting there, the latest series has Gus Fring and Hector Salamanca is in sans bell and wheelchair.
The slow moving manner of the first series put me off, but on reflection Odenkirk as Saul in Breaking Bad was definitely one of the stand out performers and there were a few, so I'll definitely be giving it another go.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Those last few episodes of Breaking Bad are amazing. Truly godo television and the finale is probably second only to The Shield imo.

Some dodgy moments and episodes along the way, but a great show on the whole. Glad I left it so long to watch it for the second time.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Catching up on American Gods after missing a couple of episodes on my Breaking Bad mission.
This times that, equals you're a cnut
:lol:

Gold.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The new series of Fargo is warming nicely to the final episode next week.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:The new series of Fargo is warming nicely to the final episode next week.
Yep.

Can't believe I didn't give Better Call Saul more of a chance first time round. It's excellent.

Currently on season 2.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Is it wrong to like Jimmy McGill?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:Is it wrong to like Jimmy McGill?
Nope, he's a hero.

I've watched the first series of American Gods now, it's good, a little odd in places but good, the Leprechaun felly is top drawer as is Lovejoy.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:
Nope, he's a hero.

I've watched the first series of American Gods now, it's good, a little odd in places but good, the Leprechaun felly is top drawer as is Lovejoy.
I made the comment about Jimmy before watching episode 9 of season 3. Prior to that, Slippin' Jimmy and his methods, whilst dubious at times, were good to watch. He did a lot of decent things too, but seeing him play that old lady over the Sandpiper settlement was not so good.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Nope, he's a hero.

I made the comment about Jimmy before watching episode 9 of season 3. Prior to that, Slippin' Jimmy and his methods, whilst dubious at times, were good to watch. He did a lot of decent things too, but seeing him play that old lady over the Sandpiper settlement was not so good.
Ahh, but that's only because he has almost transitioned to Saul Goodman ;)
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Just watched the first 3 of American Gods
► Show Spoiler
Can't get into American Gods. It's a bit too arty for me.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Finished American Gods;
► Show Spoiler
Anybody watching the Handmaid's Tale? Just watched episode 5 I think? Really good so far, and forgiven the odd strange moment.
► Show Spoiler
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

As usual I am years behind, I haven't managed to get to the end of Breaking Bad yet but just started binge watching Sons of Anarchy which I'm finding quite good.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

onlynameleft wrote:As usual I am years behind, I haven't managed to get to the end of Breaking Bad yet but just started binge watching Sons of Anarchy which I'm finding quite good.
SOA is good entertainment, it does push the limits of credibility mind you.
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

Numbers wrote:
onlynameleft wrote:As usual I am years behind, I haven't managed to get to the end of Breaking Bad yet but just started binge watching Sons of Anarchy which I'm finding quite good.
SOA is good entertainment, it does push the limits of credibility mind you.
Yes, it seems a bit A Team-esque in part.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Haha, just got to episode 4 of American gods, what a hoot, good stuff
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Anybody watching the Handmaid's Tale? Just watched episode 5 I think? Really good so far, and forgiven the odd strange moment.
► Show Spoiler
Really? Nobody? Finished it now and it was largely great.

Also, the first episode of that Ozark thing is tits.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Really? Nobody? Finished it now and it was largely great.

Also, the first episode of that Ozark thing is tits.
Been recording it, I'll binge when I get around to it
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'd question how much you might want to watch several episodes of it at a time but it's definitely worth a look.