Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Moderator: OptimisticJock

switchskier

Re: Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:38 am
switchskier wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:08 pm That was a really awful to a very disappointing season. There's no incision or ideas in the backs: it's so strange how we can move from an all out but flaky attacking team under Blair to such a stodgy mess under Everitt with so many of the same players.

Pass marks for Ritchie who did some good spoiling. Fails for everyone else.

Am I foolish for hoping that Graham, Bofelli and Thompson make a huge difference next season? Or is that letting the coaching staff off too easily.
agree re Richie. Back to his best and has added several dimensions this season - carrying better, line out option a genuine one, kick and chase to recover kicks all much improved. Plus his jackal now as good as any. I will come back to Richie.
Otherwise TBH the backs could be Smith Carter Lomu Nonu Smith etc and it would make precious little if any difference. The forwards are poor or poorly coached or both. Ruck ball is about slowest in the league and presentation random to poor. All those big names are not delivering. Nel is done, has been for a season and more. Watson likewise; the odd flash simply not enough. Ashman has failed to live up to expectations, mine included. Schoeman a shadow of previous seasons. Gilchrist tries but again I think his time should be up. Skinner a big failure of a signing. Mata does not make the yards he used to.

So back to Richie. And Kinghorn. Kinghorn said he did not feel he was reaching his potential at Edinburgh, he felt there was complacency. Richie lost form stripped of Scotland captaincy then dropped by Scotland - now back to top form. These are messages, signals, lessons, call them what you will. But will/can edinburgh management hear them, understand them and act on them? Not at all sure they can
A lot of Edinburgh fans feel that way about the complacency and we do seem to get short term boosts when taskmaster new coaches arrive, which then fades.

But the opposite should apply to coaches. This coaching team feels pretty safe, so if that's an issue why aren't they changing it up?