United Rugby Championship

Moderator: Sandydragon

Sourdust

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Sourdust »

Weird, weird game.

I wish it was a surprise to see us fall apart after a blistering start... but it wasn't. It all started with the decision to go for the lineout at 0-14. That was a bit presumptuous, wasn't it? Turned down 3 points and didn't score again for nearly an hour.

However, at 24-14 there was only one winner and somehow... somehow...

Zebre definitely worthy of their 2 points, Os maybe just about deserved it in the end, but given that clueless middle 40 we couldn't have complained at a loss.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Munster 51 3 Ospreys
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Buggaluggs wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:16 pm Munster 51 3 Ospreys
Ouch. Still with what 14 players out with wales not a huge surprise. And the off field shenanigans as well
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:30 pm
Ouch. Still with what 14 players out with wales not a huge surprise. And the off field shenanigans as well
Embarrassing. I didn't expect a win but that was a dismal effort.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:31 am
There’s a serious lack of morale at the moment. This won’t get better quickly.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:08 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:31 am

There’s a serious lack of morale at the moment. This won’t get better quickly.
I'd rather they went on strike than play that badly.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Tidy performance by the Scarlets.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:30 pm Tidy performance by the Scarlets.
Cardiff did well too, pulled away in the second half.

Dragons game looked like a repeat of Wales v Ireland, with the dragons having plenty of territory and posession but not making the most of it, while Leinster took their chances. Shows what confidence and depth Leinster have these days.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:25 pm

Dragons game looked like a repeat of Wales v Ireland, with the dragons having plenty of territory and posession but not making the most of it, while Leinster took their chances. Shows what confidence and depth Leinster have these days.
Didn’t watch that one, but good result. Something that’s a little bit positive is a bonus right now.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:38 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:25 pm

Didn’t watch that one, but good result. Something that’s a little bit positive is a bonus right now.
The Ospreys were really shown up by the other regions. Even the Dragons, comfortably beaten by Leinster, put in a big effort. That was too much to ask of many of the Ospreys.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

A couple of good young centres given a chance over the weekend, Eddie James looks good as does Hopkins at the Ospreys, McNicholl showing some great inventiveness, something which the national side could do with perhaps?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Numbers wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:23 am A couple of good young centres given a chance over the weekend, Eddie James looks good as does Hopkins at the Ospreys, McNicholl showing some great inventiveness, something which the national side could do with perhaps?
Thought James took his try well after getting utterly clattered as he came onto the pitch. good composure and a tidy finish. McNicholl did look creative, but the question is I suppose is he as effective at the international level where he has been given opportunities?
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:25 am
Numbers wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:23 am A couple of good young centres given a chance over the weekend, Eddie James looks good as does Hopkins at the Ospreys, McNicholl showing some great inventiveness, something which the national side could do with perhaps?
Thought James took his try well after getting utterly clattered as he came onto the pitch. good composure and a tidy finish. McNicholl did look creative, but the question is I suppose is he as effective at the international level where he has been given opportunities?
The discussion around mcnicholl is much like the duscussions we've been having about Holmes, I think.JMcN has some question marks against him at international level, but is anyone clearly a better option at the moment, if 2-3 of the current back three squad members get injured?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:56 am
The discussion around mcnicholl is much like the duscussions we've been having about Holmes, I think.JMcN has some question marks against him at international level, but is anyone clearly a better option at the moment, if 2-3 of the current back three squad members get injured?
That's a fair shout. He's in good club form and I'd always have assumed that carried some weight. But you can see why we have persevered with the old guard for so long when the 3rd and 4th choices have question marks against them. Perhaps we just need to give players a proper run of games before making the final decision, but that's hard for a coach who is judged on results.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:27 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:56 am

That's a fair shout. He's in good club form and I'd always have assumed that carried some weight. But you can see why we have persevered with the old guard for so long when the 3rd and 4th choices have question marks against them. Perhaps we just need to give players a proper run of games before making the final decision, but that's hard for a coach who is judged on results.
I've always had plenty of time for NcNicholl. I'd rather him in the squad and the 23 shirt than Cuthbert for example.
Son of Mathonwy

Completely mental Munster Scarlets match last night. Started like the recent Munster Ospreys match but it's fair to say it didn't end that way.

And Johnny Williams is back. Gatland needs to take a look.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Ospreys v Benetton 8-13 at half time, not an easy watch !
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:32 am Completely mental Munster Scarlets match last night. Started like the recent Munster Ospreys match but it's fair to say it didn't end that way.

And Johnny Williams is back. Gatland needs to take a look.
If Williams can stay fit he’s got a great chance of getting the 12 shirt. He has a horrible injury record though, up there with Ollie Griffiths.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

8-21 with about 25 to go. Nice try from Benetton
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Ospreys. God almighty! Five minutes more of composure they'd have won that.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:05 pm Ospreys. God almighty! Five minutes more of composure they'd have won that.
Dominated at the end. All very frustrating
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Blimey. Dragons are slightly second best but it’s 10-10 after 30 minutes. Then in the same passage of play Max Clark gets yellow carded and Screech red carded. Both decisions are correct btw.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Solid defence from the Dragons not to ship points, 10-10 at half time despite having 13 men for 8 minutes.Connacht were awarded a try which was correctly overturned as the ball wasn’t grounded. Still a massive job looming for the second half.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Nice. Jared Rosser with an interception try, Dragons lead 20-13, back to 14 men now too.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Sorry, it’s 20-10 Dragons. Good defence again, Connacht almost scored. 30 minutes to hang on !

There you go, Dragons scrum gets splintered (Brown has struggled all night) and Butler dots down. 20-17 now