Ire V Aus

hellovating

Re: Ire V Aus

Post by hellovating »

Spiffy wrote:
Vengeful Glutton wrote:
Spiffy wrote:What a win by Ireland with a patched up backline of shorties against their massive Oz counterparts. Another great performance by the pack - heros all. Furlong is a horse. VDF a perpetual motion machine.
Tremendous for Rory on his 100th cap.
Good call on Jackson mucker. I take back what I said - he looked good tonight.
Fair play. But even amongst Ireland rugby fans Jackson is not fully appreciated. Some are calling for Carbery (10 or so senior games) to replace him as Sexton's deputy. Jackson has now booted 14 kicks in a row for Ireland, some of them touchline conversions, though there is much more to his game than just place kicking, as he showed in the summer in SA. I still get the feeling that he is constrained by Joe Schmidt's game plan and there is a free-running FH itching to get at it.
i haven't seen that. who is making that call?
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

hellovating wrote:
Spiffy wrote:
Vengeful Glutton wrote:
Good call on Jackson mucker. I take back what I said - he looked good tonight.
Fair play. But even amongst Ireland rugby fans Jackson is not fully appreciated. Some are calling for Carbery (10 or so senior games) to replace him as Sexton's deputy. Jackson has now booted 14 kicks in a row for Ireland, some of them touchline conversions, though there is much more to his game than just place kicking, as he showed in the summer in SA. I still get the feeling that he is constrained by Joe Schmidt's game plan and there is a free-running FH itching to get at it.
i haven't seen that. who is making that call?
I'm sure I read it from a pundit in one of the Dublin papers (can't remember which). They have a very pro-Leinster bias. Jackson gets some flack for a missed touch finder leading to an Oz try, but no credit for the fact that he booted Ireland to a win.
A few posters on Munsterfans (not that many and not necessarily Munstermen) are making similar noises.
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

personally, i think it's only a matter of time before Jackson is Ireland's starting 10.

Sexton has missed 5 of the last 10 games and since the start of the last world cup, has appeared for 49% of Ireland's gametime. Even when he plays, he only lasts an average of 58 mins per game.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

hellovating wrote:personally, i think it's only a matter of time before Jackson is Ireland's starting 10.

Sexton has missed 5 of the last 10 games and since the start of the last world cup, has appeared for 49% of Ireland's gametime. Even when he plays, he only lasts an average of 58 mins per game.
It's a bit parochial of me perhaps, but I think Paddy was the better player - though not goal kicker - last year. I have absolutely no qualms about anything other than his goalkicking and that's just a matter of time.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
hellovating wrote:personally, i think it's only a matter of time before Jackson is Ireland's starting 10.

It's a bit parochial of me perhaps, but I think Paddy was the better player - though not goal kicker - last year. I have absolutely no qualms about anything other than his goalkicking and that's just a matter of time.
Since Jackson has booted something like 14 goal kicks in a row for Ireland, several from the touchline, is it time to put this to rest? (I don't know if Sexton or any other Irish FH has matched that). I agree with you about the rest. Jackson plays flat, has good distribution and neat footwork. He is a tough defender too. I get the feeling that his natural game is constrained by Joe's gameplan. Schmidt has mentioned that Sexton may be looking at extended time off to overcome some injuries. Don't know if this will extend to the 6N, but if so, Paddy would benefit from a run of starts. Even if Sexton is fit, Schmidt may choose to rotate to give Paddy some game time, since he must be already thinking about the next RWC.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Spiffy wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:

Since Jackson has booted something like 14 goal kicks in a row for Ireland, several from the touchline, is it time to put this to rest? (I don't know if Sexton or any other Irish FH has matched that). I agree with you about the rest. Jackson plays flat, has good distribution and neat footwork. He is a tough defender too. I get the feeling that his natural game is constrained by Joe's gameplan. Schmidt has mentioned that Sexton may be looking at extended time off to overcome some injuries. Don't know if this will extend to the 6N, but if so, Paddy would benefit from a run of starts. Even if Sexton is fit, Schmidt may choose to rotate to give Paddy some game time, since he must be already thinking about the next RWC.
The rate of failure for Jackson has been ahead of where I'd like it to be and I'd like more than 2 games of strong kicking in a row for me to be happy.

What does need to be put to rest is your criticism of Schmidt's tactics, given there has been at least 2 lots of development since it was vaguely accurate.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
canta_brian

Re: RE: Re: Ire V Aus

Post by canta_brian »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:

I've posted the same elsewhere, I don't get why a good 10 needs to be judged in goal kicking. Alan Henson was a good kicker for the all blacks. Played fullback.