Your team vs Scotland

Moderator: Sandydragon

cadofyddol

Re: Your team vs Scotland

Post by cadofyddol »

Billyfish wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
UKHamlet wrote:Tipuric was pretty anonymous against Ireland and is far more effective coming on fresh when everyone else is knackered. Tom James needs to be given a run - he was very willing and worked hard against Ireland, if a bit ineffectively - same goes for George. Cuthbert needs to be given time on the bench and brought on late in the game for the same reason as Tipuric: he will gain confidence from running in a couple of tries. I don't see Amos as an international.
I think you're being harsh on Tipuric, and if you watched the game back or looked at the individual stats you'd see he did quite a lot. Unfortunately for Wales, Garces let a lot go at the breakdown and as a result Tipuric and Warburton weren't able to make many turnovers.

We know how much Gatland rates Lydiate and has had reservations about Tipuric in the past. If they weren't too happy with Tips performance against Ireland then I think Lydiate would have started.
Have to disagree. His lack of beef meant Ireland prospered at the breakdown as he is too easily cleared out. Maybe we can afford him against a weaker back rows or if Rob Evans becomes a new Gethin, but I can't see him as more than an excellent bench option the way we play arm.
So what were the rest of the players excuses for getting cleared out so easily at the breakdown? You can't pin all of Wales's failures at the breakdown on Tipuric.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
I think you're being harsh on Tipuric, and if you watched the game back or looked at the individual stats you'd see he did quite a lot. Unfortunately for Wales, Garces let a lot go at the breakdown and as a result Tipuric and Warburton weren't able to make many turnovers.

We know how much Gatland rates Lydiate and has had reservations about Tipuric in the past. If they weren't too happy with Tips performance against Ireland then I think Lydiate would have started.
Have to disagree. His lack of beef meant Ireland prospered at the breakdown as he is too easily cleared out. Maybe we can afford him against a weaker back rows or if Rob Evans becomes a new Gethin, but I can't see him as more than an excellent bench option the way we play arm.
So what were the rest of the players excuses for getting cleared out so easily at the breakdown? You can't pin all of Wales's failures at the breakdown on Tipuric.
For the Scotland game, having both our open sides on the field is a pretty good idea anyway. This match tends to be pretty loose and Tips could have a field day. Against England, I'd want Lydiate starting.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:

Secondly, I didn't and firstly, it's his job not to be.
Gerald Davies, what was he doing there?!
cadofyddol

Post by cadofyddol »

Billyfish wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:
It's all of the players job not to be, yet you're only singling out Tipuric. We know he's less powerful than a lot of back rowers, but it's not as if he was the only one struggling with Irelands tactics on Sunday.
Mikeyv

Post by Mikeyv »

cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
It's all of the players job not to be, yet you're only singling out Tipuric. We know he's less powerful than a lot of back rowers, but it's not as if he was the only one struggling with Irelands tactics on Sunday.
No different to harping on about Lydiate not carrying, after all, there are plenty in the team you could level that accusation at.

I think it's not unfair to point out that Tipuric is a bit of a lightweight, especially compared to Lydiate, and not just based on the Irish game.

I always think we miss Lydiate, who often snuffs out attacks before they gain any momentum or territory, and sets up opportunities for Sam to do his stuff, unless the opposition is weak up front, when, possibly, we can afford the luxury of starting with Tipuric.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikeyv wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:
No different to harping on about Lydiate not carrying, after all, there are plenty in the team you could level that accusation at.

I think it's not unfair to point out that Tipuric is a bit of a lightweight, especially compared to Lydiate, and not just based on the Irish game.

I always think we miss Lydiate, who often snuffs out attacks before they gain any momentum or territory, and sets up opportunities for Sam to do his stuff, unless the opposition is weak up front, when, possibly, we can afford the luxury of starting with Tipuric.
Ivementioned before that Lydiate does a huge shift at the breakdown and is very physical. When it's a highly contested area, then we need him playing. Tips s a great replacement player, or use him instead of Warburton who is far less effective at blindside.
cadofyddol

Post by cadofyddol »

Mikeyv wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:
Billyfish wrote:

I agree that it's not unfair to point out that Tipuric is lightweight, but pointing to his performance in a game when all the players were blown away at the ruck is a bit unfair. If the rest of the players were having success but Tipuric wasn't then fair enough.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

cadofyddol wrote:
Mikeyv wrote:
cadofyddol wrote:

I agree that it's not unfair to point out that Tipuric is lightweight, but pointing to his performance in a game when all the players were blown away at the ruck is a bit unfair. If the rest of the players were having success but Tipuric wasn't then fair enough.
They can all be blown away with some impunity, but it is his specific task to get to the breakdown fast, slow the ball down or pinch it. If AN Other in the team can do that it's a bonus, if he can't do it then we need someone with more muscle. It is horses for courses of course, I'm blydi glad he's in the squad, maybe we can afford to play him against Scotland, but back row is one of their strengths so I'm not so sure. Against England no.
Gerald Davies, what was he doing there?!