Biden's VP pick

Mikey Brown

Re: Biden's VP pick

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sandydragon wrote:The Times is reporting this morning that many younger Dems are likely to deserve Biden over the allegations of sexual assault.

I’m starting to get the feeling that we will have four more years of this Trumpian comic opera.
Hardly surprising, assuming that was “desert” rather than “deserve”.

In the battle of two demented old arseholes with sexual assault allegations against them it seems likely that the utterly shameless one will come out on top.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:The Times is reporting this morning that many younger Dems are likely to deserve Biden over the allegations of sexual assault.

I’m starting to get the feeling that we will have four more years of this Trumpian comic opera.

In the battle of two demented old arseholes with sexual assault allegations against them it seems likely that the utterly shameless one will come out on top.
And we nearly had Sanders who ran his previous run for the Democratic nominee on a pro sexual harassment policy. Though it's possibly not everyone at the top, we've not heard bad things about Warren, and it's unlikely the Clintons were running a paedophile ring
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote:

Blydi auto correct!

Agreed. Trump can soak that sort of criticism up, Biden can't. I haven't read on the allegations and obviously he is innocent until proven guilty, but for some Democrats who were very pro -Saunders, it won't take much for them not to bother voting.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Though at this point anyone not voting for Sanders is a massive arsehole, even if you happened to like some of Trump's policies he's so unfit for office, really any office, there shouldn't be anything of a contest in all this, and yet...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Digby wrote:Though at this point anyone not voting for Sanders is a massive arsehole, even if you happened to like some of Trump's policies he's so unfit for office, really any office, there shouldn't be anything of a contest in all this, and yet...
Sanders the guy who ran on a “pro sexual assault platform”? You’ve lost me here.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Digby wrote:Though at this point anyone not voting for Sanders is a massive arsehole, even if you happened to like some of Trump's policies he's so unfit for office, really any office, there shouldn't be anything of a contest in all this, and yet...
Sanders the guy who ran on a “pro sexual assault platform”? You’ve lost me here.
His campaign team had a certain reputation. Luckily Sanders apologised for it after the event
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
His campaign team had a certain reputation. Luckily Sanders apologised for it after the event
Although I’m sure that will come back out if these allegations gain momentum, which has to be likely. It’s still early but I think Biden is screwed.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Sandydragon wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Although I’m sure that will come back out if these allegations gain momentum, which has to be likely. It’s still early but I think Biden is screwed.
Biden looks as inspirational as a used tissue, but given just how shit Trump is I'd like to think it's an easy call. But I never thought someone as ill suited as Trump could win in the first place so I can't call it. The preciousness would have to be high in someone not to vote Biden as things stand, that individual isn't just a waste of oxygen, they're a dangerous waste of oxygen
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sandydragon wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
I’m so confused which person you two are even talking about.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Digby wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Digby wrote:
Biden looks as inspirational as a used tissue, but given just how shit Trump is I'd like to think it's an easy call. But I never thought someone as ill suited as Trump could win in the first place so I can't call it. The preciousness would have to be high in someone not to vote Biden as things stand, that individual isn't just a waste of oxygen, they're a dangerous waste of oxygen
I was going to reply, but all the will to live left me just as I was about to compose.
Puja

Post by Puja »

While there isn't (and shouldn't be) a sliding scale of predators, I'm baffled that anyone concerned about sexual assault would be voting for Trump over Biden (or abstaining, which is functionally the same thing in a 2-person race).

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:
Digby wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Although I’m sure that will come back out if these allegations gain momentum, which has to be likely. It’s still early but I think Biden is screwed.
I was going to reply, but all the will to live left me just as I was about to compose.
Maybe I’ve been in lockdown for too long, but suddenly I feel quite depressed.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:

While there isn't (and shouldn't be) a sliding scale of predators, I'm baffled that anyone concerned about sexual assault would be voting for Trump over Biden (or abstaining, which is functionally the same thing in a 2-person race).

Puja
Indeed, but I refer you to the democrat supporters last time who couldn’t vote for Hillary because Saunders lost. I’m fucked if I can work the logic out and maybe four years of trump have opened some eyes that there are bad candidates and very bad candidates. But the polling seems to suggest that logic doesn’t exist.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Sandydragon wrote:
morepork wrote:
Digby wrote:
Maybe I’ve been in lockdown for too long, but suddenly I feel quite depressed.

Don’t worry. I still love you
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sandydragon wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Indeed, but I refer you to the democrat supporters last time who couldn’t vote for Hillary because Saunders lost. I’m fucked if I can work the logic out and maybe four years of trump have opened some eyes that there are bad candidates and very bad candidates. But the polling seems to suggest that logic doesn’t exist.
Or people absolutely despised (the) Clinton(s), for very good reasons, and had a guy seemingly offering an alternative to what they’d known of politicians all their lives.

Is the thing about Sanders supporters costing Clinton the win actually supported by numbers?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Or people absolutely despised (the) Clinton(s), for very good reasons, and had a guy seemingly offering an alternative to what they’d known of politicians all their lives.

Is the thing about Sanders supporters costing Clinton the win actually supported by numbers?
Yes and no. There was for instance a massive surge in votes for the Green Party, and the thinking is many of those were fans of Bernie, and had even half those extra Green Party votes gone for Clinton 500,000 votes or so, and given some states came down to 10s of thousands that's easily an electoral college swing. But, an even bigger number of Republicans switched to the Libertarian party, and if they'd all gone Republican then Trump would have walked the electoral college and it'd have been pretty much a tie in the popular vote.

So between them huge numbers on both sides didn't like Trump but facilitated him winning. As someone who tends to vote Lib Dem in a strong Conservative seat I'm familiar with the idea of wasting a vote, but blimey they're pushing it when you look at the achievements of team orange
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Puja wrote:

Puja
There absolutely is a sliding scale of predators and we have sentencing guidelines which properly reflect that. All sexual assaults are bad, that doesn't mean that they are all equally bad.

I'm going to briefly mention the sexual assault allegations. I will be pleasantly surprised if there aren't sexual assault allegations for every candidate in the states going forward. It's a combination of a horribly polarised politics and no effective libel laws which makes false allegations nigh on inevitable. Some of hem will probably end up being dismissed easily and then there will be others which cannot, usually because the candidates general behaviour hasn't been great. Biden's over-tactility has left him open to this sort of claim.

It probably will effect his VP pick. Kirsten Gillibrand might get a boost, though as I said Stacey Abrams may have done herself some damage.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
There absolutely is a sliding scale of predators and we have sentencing guidelines which properly reflect that. All sexual assaults are bad, that doesn't mean that they are all equally bad.

I'm going to briefly mention the sexual assault allegations. I will be pleasantly surprised if there aren't sexual assault allegations for every candidate in the states going forward. It's a combination of a horribly polarised politics and no effective libel laws which makes false allegations nigh on inevitable. Some of hem will probably end up being dismissed easily and then there will be others which cannot, usually because the candidates general behaviour hasn't been great. Biden's over-tactility has left him open to this sort of claim.

It probably will effect his VP pick. Kirsten Gillibrand might get a boost, though as I said Stacey Abrams may have done herself some damage.
There may mot be effective libel laws, but the way that people who report assault against a poweful figure are treated means that it's not something that someone will do for shits and giggles. To suggest there are no repercussions to coming forward with an allegation - whether real or invented - is simply not true.

There were no sexual assault allegations for Buttigieg, Warren, Klobuchar, Harris, O'Rourke, etc unless I missed them.

Puja
Backist Monk
Eugene Wrayburn

Puja wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

There may mot be effective libel laws, but the way that people who report assault against a poweful figure are treated means that it's not something that someone will do for shits and giggles. To suggest there are no repercussions to coming forward with an allegation - whether real or invented - is simply not true.

There were no sexual assault allegations for Buttigieg, Warren, Klobuchar, Harris, O'Rourke, etc unless I missed them.

Puja
I haven't suggested that there are no repercussions.

the others weren't the presumptive nominee. She deliberately timed her release for when he was.

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Deliberately timed...

FFS.
Eugene Wrayburn

Mikey Brown wrote:Deliberately timed...

FFS.
She posted on twitter that she was biding her time for a revelation and separately "tick tock".

Digby

Post by Digby »

And even if she wasn't co-ordinating with one or more media partner the media don't time releases like this without regard to what draws the most attention
Eugene Wrayburn

None of which of course means that her allegations are false.

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lol.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Seems a strong candidate, did well in the primaries, and is unlikely to back down during the General. VPs are often sent out as the person to take a hatchet to the credentials of the other side, Trump flips that model, but this does leave Biden free to look like a calm and responsible figure