2024 Six Nations

Moderator: OptimisticJock

BaldiePete

Re: 2024 Six Nations

Post by BaldiePete »

I reckon the nailed on starters are:
15. Kinghorn
14. Graham
12 or 13. Tuipolotu (depends on who the other centre is)
11. Van Der Merwe
10.Russell
6 or 8. M. Fagerson
3. Z Fagerson
1. Schoeman

Likely starters:
9. White
6 or 8. Dempsey (if fit)
4. Gray
2. Turner

That leaves.
12 or 13 - Redpath at 12
7. Crosbie
5. Cummings

We might see some of the new and less experienced guys on the bench. It doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence though.
16. Matthews
17. Hepburn
18. Hurd
19. Young
20. Christie
21. Horne
22. Healy
23. Jones
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep that is a horrendous set of forwards on the bench.

Great to hear Fagerson is back and in form. He didn’t really look himself since being usurped by Dempsey, though was good in that last World Cup game.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:24 pm Yep that is a horrendous set of forwards on the bench.

Great to hear Fagerson is back and in form. He didn’t really look himself since being usurped by Dempsey, though was good in that last World Cup game.
strange comment. Matt Fagerson is one of the most consistent players I think I've ever seen, whether at 6,7 or 8. Always gets over the gain line and multiple carries. Loads of tackles, often dominant rarely misses any. Hits more rucks effectively than just about anyone
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I really rate him. I'm not sure what seems so strange, I just didn't think he was in his best form in the world cup and the run-in to it.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Darcy to miss 1st 2 rounds of the 6N. Ross McCann called into squad (won't be played of course, just experience I think).

Also Richie no longer captain, Russell and Darge co-captains for this 6N. Not a fan of co-captains usually but given Darge may not be fit for opening game, rather than appoint one then the other (I think Darge is the long term option) this is a sensible way forward, and I approve of both :D
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

That’s a shame about Darcy but I’d expect Steyn to fit in seamlessly like he did last season. I thought Darge was out for longer, I don’t think he played for Glasgow this week? Not sure about co-captains but Russell as captain is a good idea. His attitude is bound to result in a better relationship with the ref than Ritchie had.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Co captains are a nonsense. The one thr ref will speak to is the captain, the other is the vice captain.

I think Darge is the long term option and is the best 7 available when fit. Don't think he's fully brought his club form to the international game yet though. It would be good to see him establish himself as one of the premier 7s at international level which we know he can be.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

How old is McCann? Feels like he's been around forever without really threatening to break through. Mind you, there's not a lot of other options. Maybe Cameron Anderson who has been getting some game time for harlequins.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:36 pm How old is McCann? Feels like he's been around forever without really threatening to break through. Mind you, there's not a lot of other options. Maybe Cameron Anderson who has been getting some game time for harlequins.
25/26. Local bag holder.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I know I don’t get to watch a lot of the URC but I have literally no idea who McCann is.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Gutted about Graham. Always one thung or another keeping him from getting a long run together.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hastings and Hurd out, Elliot Millar-Mills in.

Hastings appears to be made of biscuit unfortunately. Can't catch a break and lost a lot of ground on Healy as primary back up to Finn (assuming Kinghorn at 10 will be a 4 yearly RWC squad/summer v smaller nations event).
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I think the BK10 experiment was always meant with the last World Cup in mind given the smaller squad size that was allowed. I think now he’d only play 10 if Finn gets injured during a game and Healy isn’t on the bench.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Do you think Toony will have Healy on the bench at all or is he going to mainly go for a 6:2 split with a scrum half and a utility back? Let's face it, we don't have a pack that's going to dominate (have we ever). I have a feeling Horne will bench for impact and versatility with someone like McDowall or Hutchinson for versatility. If he starts Redpath and Tuipulotu then Jones will be on the bench. If it's Huwipulotu then Redpath may not even be on the bench. Who knows with Toony but I can see us going for a 6:2 split more often than not.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It's a tough one. I thought Jones had gone off the boil a bit but he looked electric in the brief highlights I saw from the Toulon game. Redpath has been in fantastic form and his ability to commit defenders with a run or pick out the passing option at the last possible moment is very impressive. Tuipulotu has to play though, and I think I prefer him at 12. I'd love to see McDowell get more time but it's looking like it will be difficult.

I'm torn on Kinghorn. Russell is so central to the way we play that is almost seems a waste having Healy sit on the bench, but he offers a great option to mix it up. I like Kinghorn as a backup option (assuming you've got Jones or someone capable of playing fullback in the 23) but I don't really want to see him at 10 for a full game if Russell has to come off.

6:2 splits are useful if you have the back 5 forwards for it but who are we trying to fit in to the 23 that makes it worth losing flexibility in the backs? Is Darge even fit for Wales?
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Tuipulotu is nailed on to start. I think it will be a 5:3 bench split against Wales and then probably 6:2 against France. I hope Toony sticks with Jones at 13 as much as I like Redpath and the form he is in. I will be surprised if Darge makes it and with doubts over Ritchie, will we see Christie getting a shot and starting alongside Fagerson and Dempsey? Do we lose an extra jumper/jacker not having Ritchie especially if Darge doesn't make it? Wales are not a team to underestimate when we may be considered slight favourites. We have fancied ourselves before only to be sent home with our tails between our legs. I guess we will find out soon enough, will it be same old or taking that extra step we have been threatening to take for the last God knows how many years. Shame about Hastings, he obviously didn't visit that witch doctor his sister got him an appointment to go see.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Yeah, Tuipolotu nailed I think. As is Kinghorn at full back. Recent interviews it's clear he sees himself as a 15. Toulouse since they signed Kinghorn and in the absence of Ntmack have stuck with Ramos at 10 whom I also think is a great 15 a makeshift 10, except once when they played Malia (a wing or full back) at 10. And have havepicked Herve. They ain't short of back 3 players when they can bench Capuozzo for a big champs cup game. Very very clear opinion of where Kinghorn should play. 15.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Kinghorn is also a poor goal kicker.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Aye goal kicking is a worry, Finn has been a bit inconsistent and apart from Healy and Horne (who lacks the distance although quite accurate) in the squad, which is a concern in tight matches, and Healy (probably the highest % success rate) less likely to appear in many games. Glasgow are really suffering with this. When Ntamack returns, Kinghorn may find it difficult to get a game.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

If Darge isn’t fit, my first thought would be Crosbie at 7. On the bench, Bayliss seemed to have a good game for Bath and I think would cover 6 and 8. Are either Christie or Bayliss lineout options? We need a back row lineout option to supplement the 2nd row jumpers. I reckon Townsend is not planning to start Ritchie so if the starters are Dempsey, Fagerson and Crosbie (assuming Darge not available) and we go 6:2 I can see Christie or Bayliss plus Ritchie being back row options on the bench but if it’s 5:3 then it might just be Ritchie.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:53 pm If Darge isn’t fit, my first thought would be Crosbie at 7. On the bench, Bayliss seemed to have a good game for Bath and I think would cover 6 and 8. Are either Christie or Bayliss lineout options? We need a back row lineout option to supplement the 2nd row jumpers. I reckon Townsend is not planning to start Ritchie so if the starters are Dempsey, Fagerson and Crosbie (assuming Darge not available) and we go 6:2 I can see Christie or Bayliss plus Ritchie being back row options on the bench but if it’s 5:3 then it might just be Ritchie.
Both Bayliss and Christie are lineout options* as is Dempsey. As to bench options, I don't think 5/3 or 6/2 makes much difference. Richie covers 6/7, Christie ditto but Bayliss can play right across the back row so maybe favourite.

* Decent options, less so if you play against a team with a 3rd jumper and maybe 4th like O'Mahoney and Doris, or Olivon and Jelonch etc
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Bayliss is absolutely a lineout option.
At club level he covers the whole backrow, an occasional lock.

I'm still not fully convinced that he's international class (would love to be proven wrong) but he's an excellent bench option, covering multiple positions and surprisingly quick in that Tom Croft manner.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Which Tyler wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:36 am Bayliss is absolutely a lineout option.
At club level he covers the whole backrow, an occasional lock.

I'm still not fully convinced that he's international class (would love to be proven wrong) but he's an excellent bench option, covering multiple positions and surprisingly quick in that Tom Croft manner.
You were doing so well until the last bit. Croft was terrific lineout option nut there the similarity ends for me. Outside te lineout was a wannabee winger who hung about on touchlines. Didn't do nearly enough hard graft stuff, while Bayliss is an on field workaholic.
Croft a really nice guy though, I will give you that

Re reading you only compared Bayliss to Croft in terms of pace. So I will pull back a bit :?
Bayliss is quick but Croft seriously quick top end speed
Last edited by septic 9 on Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Hmm. I think a lot of that is just how they were deployed.

I don’t see it with Bayliss at the top level to be honest, despite his fantastic step and turn of pace.

Christie looks like he’d fit in well, similar strengths to Ritchie I’d say and 8 cover surely won’t be needed with both Fagerson and Dempsey in the starting backrow.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:23 am Hmm. I think a lot of that is just how they were deployed.

I don’t see it with Bayliss at the top level to be honest, despite his fantastic step and turn of pace.

Christie looks like he’d fit in well, similar strengths to Ritchie I’d say and 8 cover surely won’t be needed with both Fagerson and Dempsey in the starting backrow.

Fair comment. Personally at this level I see Christie as like Richie but even more of an open side than blindside - just like Richie. As a pair of flankers could do much worse, except we can do better with Darge and Fagerson