The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

switchskier

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by switchskier »

Wilson and Gordon get a chance to lay a claim for an international spot. Gray and Jones released to Glasgow is good to see.

Anyone know who James Scott is?

1. Aki Seiuli (22)
2. Johnny Matthews (7)
3. Enrique Pieretto (9)
4. Richie Gray (53)
5. Leone Nakarawa (73)
6. Rob Harley (241)
7. Thomas Gordon (27)
8. Ryan Wilson (C) (181)

9. Jamie Dobie (14)
10. Adam Hastings (46)
11. Rufus McLean (1)
12. Sam Johnson (66)
13. Robbie Fergusson (7)
14. Ratu Tagive (20)
15. Huw Jones (45)

16. Grant Stewart (39)
17. Aki Seiuli (22)
18. D’arcy Rae (78)
19. James Scott (0)
20. TJ Ioane (8)
21. Sean Kennedy (12)
22. Ross Thompson (2)
23. Ollie Smith (1)

Unavailable for selection: Alex Allan, Fraser Brown, Chris Fusaro, George Horne, Pete Horne, Lee Jones, Paddy Kelly, Kiran McDonald, Stafford McDowall, Niko Matawalu, Robbie Nairn, Tommy Seymour, Kyle Steyn
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:
Anyone know who James Scott is?
21 yo ex eng u20s lock. On loan from Worcs, as of this week
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I had it in my head Hastings was still months away. That’s great news. 6 nations may be too soon to get him back up to speed but let’s hope he goes well.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:I had it in my head Hastings was still months away. That’s great news. 6 nations may be too soon to get him back up to speed but let’s hope he goes well.
Yeah it is. I was surprised too. A little bit of me was excited to see Ross Thompson for the rest of the season but hopefully he can still get some time. I could live with 10. Thompson 13. Jones 15. Hastings for a bit of fun.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Josh Mckay, Crusaders, NZ u.20`s, Glasgow bound.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Not a great result but I enjoyed that game. Can't believe it stayed nil all for thirty five mins. The youngsters all showed up well. Dobie was great and Johnson had a bit of spark back.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Tobylerone wrote:Josh Mckay, Crusaders, NZ u.20`s, Glasgow bound.
That is also exciting news. Hasn't nailed down a starting spot for a Super Rugby team but always seen as rapid and with potential.

Two big signings this week. I don't know if that means they are not expecting to make an overseas signing at 10?

Edit: dog, forgot they've already signed Weir. Along with Bharti and Berghan it's been a solid set of signings
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

I think this season is a total write off but i reckon next season Glasgow will do better, really not sure about Edinburgh, they seem totally lost for ideas, at the start of the season their forwards were still powerful but seem to be getting pushed around now leaving the backs nothing to fuck up
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

whatisthejava wrote:I think this season is a total write off but i reckon next season Glasgow will do better, really not sure about Edinburgh, they seem totally lost for ideas, at the start of the season their forwards were still powerful but seem to be getting pushed around now leaving the backs nothing to fuck up
yep, season is a write off, and both teams and coaches get a get out of jail free card. The disruption - loss of top players for more than half the games, big intervals between games, just no continuity possible.

Next season big test for both. Glasgow's head coach is going to under big pressure - the expectations on Glasgow are huge if largely unmerited. A wee team that over performed for a few seasons on the back of an unbelievable group pf players, but Rennie did not really continue the production line and Wilson is getting the flak. Such is the life of a pro sports coach.

Edinburgh had all the same except continuity in the coaching team, and thus recruitment (covid affected both TBF). But Cockerill will have had 4 seasons and his pack has gone backwards; he has a huge reluctance to blood players never mind total lack of trust in them when he does. And his game plan is stuck in the past. Big pack, slow ball and a kicking 10 standing often 10m too deep - these put pressure on the scrum half and give the backs no chance. Chuck it to Duhan/D'Arcy/Blair and see what happens isn't much of a plan. Yet he has on paper a great pack capable of playing faster rugby. Needs to learn and improve.. He made short term big strides with Edin (fairly easy from such a low bar) but taking them forward now a much bigger challenge and he is for me living on reputation earned years ago not on his recent record
Ally

Post by Ally »

Maybe too speculative, but think someone posted that Gloucester were interested in Ali Price. Does Willi Heinz's move to Worcester add any weight to that rumour?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Ally wrote:Maybe too speculative, but think someone posted that Gloucester were interested in Ali Price. Does Willi Heinz's move to Worcester add any weight to that rumour?
Is this not just because they've signed Hastings and some people are jumping to conclusions? Glous still have Simpson and Varney, plus they've given time to four other young scrum halves this season already. They seem pretty stocked.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Aye you're probably right
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Glasgow team out for Leinster and it looks a belter. I can't seem to paste it but includes Kebble, R Gray, Dobie, Hastings, Sam Johnson, Jones at 13 and a full back three of talented youngsters.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

The team for those that can't be bothered looking it up. It is a ridiculously young backline. Wilson holding true to his word that he'd give the youngsters a go, which is smart of him as it becomes a no lose scenario as coach in a lost season. I might watch now, though there's a pretty good chance that they get scalped by Lenister.

In other news I see that Jones is off to Bayonne where he may well end up out of sight and our of mind.

1. Oli Kebble (53)
2. Grant Stewart (40)
3. Enrique Pieretto (10)
4. Richie Gray (54)
5. Leone Nakarawa (74)
6. Rob Harley (242)
7. Thomas Gordon (28)
8. Ryan Wilson (C) (182)

9. Jamie Dobie (15)
10. Adam Hastings (47)
11. Cole Forbes (0)
12. Sam Johnson (67)
13. Huw Jones (46)
14. Rufus McLean (2)
15. Ollie Smith (1)

16. Johnny Matthews (8)
17. Aki Seiuli (23)
18. D’arcy Rae (79)
19. Gregor Brown (0)
20. TJ Ioane (9)
21. Sean Kennedy (13)
22. Ross Thompson (3)
23. Robbie Fergusson
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Glasgow team out for Leinster and it looks a belter. I can't seem to paste it but includes Kebble, R Gray, Dobie, Hastings, Sam Johnson, Jones at 13 and a full back three of talented youngsters.
Leinster have a very good and experienced pack starting. Their 1st pick backs are all starting for Ireland tomorrow. Unfortunately the ones left behind are the ones who have been ripping defences apart all season and scoring tries for fun. Could be a tough night, but you never know
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

switchskier wrote: In other news I see that Jones is off to Bayonne where he may well end up out of sight and our of mind.
I had missed that too. Hard to know how it'll work out. I just hope he gets regular starts at 13 in a backline that gives him some chances. Has looked sharp this year.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sorry if I’ve asked this before but was the fullback thing him or Wilson, does anyone know? Curious if Wilson wanted to find a long term Hogg replacement in Jones or it was just necessity.

He seemed to play very well there so I’m not assuming he didn’t enjoy it. No idea if the timing of this switch back to 13 is coincidental or that’s “experiment over” as far as Wilson sees it. What a shame for Glasgow, but he’s 27 and currently making a 6 nations 23 so this is as good a time for this as he’ll likely have.

Scotland really do need him proving he can still do it in the centres. Let’s hope he can do enough to keep Gregor’s attention in France. It feels so long ago already when people were saying he would be a world class 13, and arguably he was for a patch.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Sorry if I’ve asked this before but was the fullback thing him or Wilson, does anyone know? Curious if Wilson wanted to find a long term Hogg replacement in Jones or it was just necessity.

He seemed to play very well there so I’m not assuming he didn’t enjoy it. No idea if the timing of this switch back to 13 is coincidental or that’s “experiment over” as far as Wilson sees it. What a shame for Glasgow, but he’s 27 and currently making a 6 nations 23 so this is as good a time for this as he’ll likely have.

Scotland really do need him proving he can still do it in the centres. Let’s hope he can do enough to keep Gregor’s attention in France. It feels so long ago already when people were saying he would be a world class 13, and arguably he was for a patch.
Think it was necessity. Glasgow tried to sign a 15 before the pandemic, it fell through because of it. Jackson had held the fort but retired. Bryce moving on, left Seymour who is a far better wing than 15. Couple that with Rennie having preferred both Grigg and Steyn at 13, and both at league level played well enough to keep Jones out, so being relatively ok at 13, trying Jones at 15 was for some an obvious move - his strength is attacking weak points in defences and running good support lines - same things Hogg is great at. FWIW he also came on at wing one game late last season/early this one for 20mins and looked absolutely the part there in attack as well

Had Rennie managed him better and had the imagination to try him at 15 rather than sticking with Jackson, who knows, Glasgow might have actually managed to replace one superstar fullback with another one, long term.
Scottish Caley Fan

Post by Scottish Caley Fan »

An ex Aussie under 21, Scottish Qualified Centre /Winger has signed, Sione Tuipoluto.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Got there in the end v Zebre. A funny performance be side the young backline showed they could cut right through Zebre but little handling errors put them in trouble and it all seemed to be going wrong at about 50 mins. A couple of older heads then came on and they won relatively comfortably - do you just credit the replacements or was it coming anyway?

McLean looked full of confidence. On another day could have had two tries but will maybe wonder whether he could have done better with one of them.

Thompson looks crisp and sharp to me (and his goal kicking is very solid). He then ruined it with a kick off miles into touch just when they needed some composure.

Forbes looks quick and strong. Could be a nice balance to the back three.

Smith has been a bit unlucky I think. Yellow this week for a deliberate knock on and off fairly soon afterwards. Ball just hasn't broken for him to have a run in space. It'll come though.

Thought Jones looked sharp again though he was guilty on at least one of the random drops. It almost seemed like the ball was extra slippy today.

All in all, some good signs that, while they might be a couple of years away from being real challengers, Glasgow will be fun to watch next year and challenge some top teams.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Given the age of the backline, there were some very encouraging signs. Some of these guys will be top quality in 2 or 3 years. Jamie Dobie is 19 - I can see him playing Test rugby at some point.

Tom Gordon continues to impress - shame he may have buggered his shoulder later on.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Nick Griggs helped a lot in the later stages. He certainly packs a punch
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Adder wrote:Nick Griggs helped a lot in the later stages. He certainly packs a punch
Yeah, he's not looked great this season but had a real impact.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

To me he often looks great off the bench when he can just throw himself at everything for 20 minutes like a complete mentalist.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

To me he often looks great off the bench when he can just throw himself at everything for 20 minutes like a complete mentalist.