Good TV Shows

Banquo

Re: RE: Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote:Very morbid and slow last evening. Still compelling.
Yep, and set in a time when smoking was not just cool, but compulsory [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
suspect it still is in Moscow :)
paddy no 11

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by paddy no 11 »

Jesus last episode of Chernobyl is incredible

Some real heroes in the wake of such a tragedy
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

paddy no 11 wrote:Jesus last episode of Chernobyl is incredible

It didn't disappoint for sure.

The real footage at the end of key players and things like the firemen's clothes was poignant too.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ok. Just watched second episode and I’m seeing what the fuss is about.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

WaspInWales wrote:
paddy no 11 wrote:Jesus last episode of Chernobyl is incredible

It didn't disappoint for sure.

The real footage at the end of key players and things like the firemen's clothes was poignant too.
Fantastic series, best thing on TV this year.

Nice how they saved the details of the events that caused the accident till the last episode so we could fully understand/appreciate them.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned ‘succession’ on here?

Just got up to date and it’s definitely one of the best things I’ve watched at all. I can’t recommend it enough. Incredibly funny, sometimes unbearably tense and the acting is just fantastic from everyone involved.

You’d think it would be hard to want to watch the lives of people like that.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mikey Brown wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned ‘succession’ on here?

Just got up to date and it’s definitely one of the best things I’ve watched at all. I can’t recommend it enough. Incredibly funny, sometimes unbearably tense and the acting is just fantastic from everyone involved.

You’d think it would be hard to want to watch the lives of people like that.

Someone put me onto this a few weeks ago. It's pretty good, and awkwardly topical.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Don’t listen to morepork and his wishy-washy “pretty good” remarks. It’s great and if you don’t think so it’s because you’re a bad person.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus. Channeling Cashead there. Not sure where that came from.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mr. Angry.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What can I say? Power corrupts.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mindhunter Series 2 - This is good telly, watch it.
I am the Night - Quite good, certainly worth a look.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

4 episodes in it's very good but a little slow or are there too many threads?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Brassic on Sky, written by and starring Joe Gilgun from This is England, it's good entertainment and a nice mix of drama and humour.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

What we do in the shadows

Brilliant
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote:What we do in the shadows

Brilliant
Agreed, one of the best comedies for some time.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Numbers wrote:Brassic on Sky, written by and starring Joe Gilgun from This is England, it's good entertainment and a nice mix of drama and humour.
Enjoyed it, some really great moments of pathos.
zer0

Post by zer0 »

More of a punt as it's not out yet, but the Mandalorian looks like it'll be good. Which is a nice change.

Puja

Post by Puja »

zer0 wrote:More of a punt as it's not out yet, but the Mandalorian looks like it'll be good. Which is a nice change.

I've never got the whole Boba Fett thing. I first watched any Star Wars when I was an adult and I already knew a few things through cultural osmosis, so I knew he was popular and was kinda confused that he turned out to be a guy with about two lines, never referred to by name, who got killed almost as an afterthought. Why's he such a big thing?

Puja
Backist Monk
zer0

Post by zer0 »

Puja wrote:I've never got the whole Boba Fett thing. I first watched any Star Wars when I was an adult and I already knew a few things through cultural osmosis, so I knew he was popular and was kinda confused that he turned out to be a guy with about two lines, never referred to by name, who got killed almost as an afterthought. Why's he such a big thing?
Because he looked/looks cool. They then greatly expanded on his story in the old Expanded Universe, basically making him Vader's bounty hunter of choice. He also eventually escapes from the Sarlacc, which I believe has been reintroduced into Disney canon.

Though, despite his look and distinctive non-speakiness, this isn't Boba. Don't even know if the character has a name yet. He's also played by Pedro Pascal, which is great.

EDIT: Dave Filoni is a producer, which is probably the best part of the whole setup. If you want a good Star Wars TV show then go check out the Clone Wars series. It's good sh*t. First season is a battle-of-the-week setup, but gets a lot better from S2 onward. The original series was never finished, instead being abruptly stopped once Disney acquired LucasFilm, but the final season will be released in February. It leads into, and runs parallel to, Revenge of the Sith, so should show Order 66 in all its brutal glory.
CharlesCup

View first unread post

Post by CharlesCup »

Why does clicking on the View First Unread icon hardly ever do just that? Sometimes it does but is mostly fairly random.

Anyone else have this problem?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Getting some casting announcements now for Sir Pterry's "The Watch": https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones ... the-watch/
Filming starts September 30th

Richard Dormer is Sam Vimes, a disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing
Jo Eaton-Kent is Constable Cheery, a non-binary forensics expert, ostracized by their kin and finding a new home and identity.
Adam Hugill plays Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth.
Marama Corlette is the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive.
Lara Rossi plays the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility, who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism.
Sam Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.

Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Brexitcast as a replacement for This Week is slightly disappointing:
Journalists instead of backbench or retired politicians X
Focused on Brexit rather than general politics X
Not particularly funny X
Even worse production values X

It's not a bad program (or should that be prorogram ;)), but I would have preferred This Week with a new presenter.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Which Tyler wrote:Getting some casting announcements now for Sir Pterry's "The Watch": https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones ... the-watch/
Filming starts September 30th

Richard Dormer is Sam Vimes, a disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing
Jo Eaton-Kent is Constable Cheery, a non-binary forensics expert, ostracized by their kin and finding a new home and identity.
Adam Hugill plays Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth.
Marama Corlette is the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive.
Lara Rossi plays the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility, who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism.
Sam Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.

Fingers Crossed. Going Postal was as close as anyone has got to reproducing Pratchett successfully and even that lost its way a bit. Often thought Terry Gilliam with a big bag of money would be the best person to have a crack at them.
Gerald Davies, what was he doing there?!
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I just finished watching Temple, good viewing, it's about a shady surgeon and a doomsday prepper, starring Mark Strong and Daniel Mays.