The Fall of France

morepork

Re: The Fall of France

Post by morepork »

I can taste it in my mouth.
cashead

Post by cashead »

rowan wrote:Nothing makes me chuckle aloud to myself like toying with a wind-up merchant until his head explodes ! :lol:
Oh, the puppetmaster gambit?

So, planning on explaining how the act of calling out someone for racial profiling is racist?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
rowan

Post by rowan »

His Haplessness thinks that acknowleding the impact of Pacific Islanders on the game is racial profiling, and that denying it is somehow a noble and moral act, which is the perspective of a hapless halfwit.

That's Cashead on the left, in case anyone was wondering:

If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
cashead

Post by cashead »

You can't possibly be this dense.

The fact that you can't even comprehend how your original statement was racial profiling speaks volumes.

P.S. The best part is that earlier on, you posted this, and yet here we are.
rowan wrote:Ad hominems. A defeated adversary floundering in the dust.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
cashead

Post by cashead »

I guess two can play this game.

In case you're wondering, that's rowan on the left.

I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
rowan

Post by rowan »

What, the letter I ?? You began your last post with an ad hominem, you hapless wonder. & that is evidently the only thing you have to contribute to this discussion, because you're a halfwit.

Now, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted? Oh yes, can anyone recommend a likely successor to Noves? France would have a little difficulty with a foreign coach due to the language barrier and lack of cultural insight, I suspect. So they're unlikely to go seeking a Kiwi or other foreigner, I imagine. Of course, we know these coaches are not a magic cure-all anyway.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Good piece in French Midi Olympique on how the poor French Results are actually working well for Mr Bernard Laporte, giving him the power to request some strong changes in the French Professional setup. This is, if he is cleared from the corruption charges pressed against him.

French Clubs are backed by very wealthy owners ( not a very sustainable system) as was seen this summer with the SF-Racing merging scandal. Getting rid of them might be a blessing.
cashead

Post by cashead »

rowan wrote:What, the letter I ?? You began your last post with an ad hominem, you hapless wonder. & that is evidently the only thing you have to contribute to this discussion, because you're a halfwit.
Oh my god, keep going on, I'm about to finish. Unfffff

P.S. Captain Dense can always be relied on to miss the point.
Last edited by cashead on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Adder

Post by Adder »

rowan wrote:What, the letter I ?? You began your last post with an ad hominem, you hapless wonder. & that is evidently the only thing you have to contribute to this discussion, because you're a halfwit.

Now, where was I before I was so rudely interrupted? Oh yes, can anyone recommend a likely successor to Noves? France would have a little difficulty with a foreign coach due to the language barrier and lack of cultural insight, I suspect. So they're unlikely to go seeking a Kiwi or other foreigner, I imagine. Of course, we know these coaches are not a magic cure-all anyway.

I think more than coaching, the French players have got to get used to play a different (slightly less structured way) which is not very easy in the TOP 14. The French National system must be involved in the way teams and players are managed. They should stop expecting them to show up and switch to the next level.
Not saying Noves is the Answer but he is not the main issue.
Last edited by Adder on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Good comments, Adder. That's got to be one of the major advantages the Southern Hemisphere holds over Europe. The fact they own the franchises means they can dictate the style of play they want them to adopt. New Zealand, at least, has done this in the past and even influenced selections at times, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas national unions in Europe hold no such sway over their clubs, which also breeds a different kind of attitude and is much more susceptible to the prima donna type.

Do you have a link to that Midi Olympique article? I do actually read French.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Kudos to the Kiwis, of course, on the aplomb with which they have managed rugby in the professional age. I really thought it was going to be the end of them as arguably the leading force in the game within a few decades, but the opposite has turned out to be true. I remember going into the rugby unions during my days as a budding reporter and they'd be staffed by a couple of grouchy old cauliflowered ex-players. Not much fun at all! But with the onset of professionalism the NZRFU and a few of the major provincial associations got rid of the dead-wood and replaced them with generally younger and more skilled staff, invariably with a business background and not necessarily a rugby one at all. Regrettably Wellington was not among them, and the grouchy old cauliflower-eared ex-players remained in office for perhaps another decade to come - much to the detriment of the union & representative team.

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:Sandy....French clubs scout pretty aggressively.
Of course they do, and it helps their cause then the home country of a player can't match the package on offer. We've had plenty of issues with that in Wales, and we have far stronger financial resources than the PI nations.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Gents,

This is a rugby forum, keep it on topic and do not let this slip into a personal slagging match. I don't care who started it - enough.
Adder

Post by Adder »

rowan wrote:Good comments, Adder. That's got to be one of the major advantages the Southern Hemisphere holds over Europe. The fact they own the franchises means they can dictate the style of play they want them to adopt. New Zealand, at least, has done this in the past and even influenced selections at times, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas national unions in Europe hold no such sway over their clubs, which also breeds a different kind of attitude and is much more susceptible to the prima donna type.

Do you have a link to that Midi Olympique article? I do actually read French.
Here you go. The last couple of Paragraphs are the interesting ones.
http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/test-matc ... tory.shtml
rowan

Post by rowan »

Yes, the representative structures the Southern Hemisphere nations have in place are undoubtedly a major factor in their success historically as well, providing an important stepping stone from regionalized club competition to the national team, which provided greater depth and must also have been highly beneficial to All Blacks selectors down the ages. I think only Ireland comes close in this respect, though the emphasis appears to have moved more to the clubs themselves than the four major regions in recent times. England did actually set up a provincial structure in the 80s, as I recall, though it failed to catch on with fans simply unable to identify with teams called 'Midlands' and 'London Counties' and whatever the other regions were. France used to field regional teams against touring sides as well. But European sporting culture is always going to be about the clubs and I'm not sure representative teams would ever be successful in that part of the world.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Adder wrote:
I think more than coaching, the French players have got to get used to play a different (slightly less structured way) which is not very easy in the TOP 14. The French National system must be involved in the way teams and players are managed. They should stop expecting them to show up and switch to the next level.
Not saying Noves is the Answer but he is not the main issue.
After a dismal Autumn for France, the FFR and the LNR are now obliged to get their heads together and attempt to resolve the problems with the structure and functioning of the Top14, and the World Cup 2023 is looming on the horizon.

As far as the team coach is concerned, the job's a poisoned chalice. Even the best in the world would be up against it with the current situation.
Guy Novès, who was one of the best club coaches ever, has declared that he'll honour his contract and won't be resigning (for the moment - my words, not his). Good man, Guy. Hang in there!
Adder

Post by Adder »

I also want to point out that japan was very good

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Adder wrote:I also want to point out that japan was very good

Yep. For sure.Fast and well drilled.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:
Adder wrote:I also want to point out that japan was very good

Yep. For sure.Fast and well drilled.
Good to see that they haven't regressed with a change of coach. They were a pleasure to watch at the last RWC and were the better team against us last year.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Jamie Joseph.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Yes, amazing to think this was the same team that got thrashed by Australia at home a couple of weeks ago, and fairly pummeled by Ireland as well in the summer, whilst labouring to modest victories over Romnia, Hong Kong and Korea earlier in the year. But against France they were suddenly world-beaters again and it's all down to their Kiwi coach. :)
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I don't believe anyone has them down as world beaters - at least, not just yet.
They are however, an attractive and positive team to watch, always trying to keep the ball alive, and a team with a good future even though their playing resources are limited. Good luck to them!
rowan

Post by rowan »

Yes, playing resources very limited, only about 6th or 7th in the world with about twice as many as Scotland, 20 K more than both Wales and Italy, 8 times as many as Samoa and 15 times as many as Georgia. Still, they managed to struggle past Romania, Hong Kong and Korea, and although both Australia and Ireland went to Japan and thrashed them, the Blossoms still showed what a great team they are by scraping a draw with mighty France. & it's all down to their Kiwi coach. Yay!
Adder

Post by Adder »

rowan wrote:Yes, playing resources very limited, only about 6th or 7th in the world with about twice as many as Scotland, 20 K more than both Wales and Italy, 8 times as many as Samoa and 15 times as many as Georgia. Still, they managed to struggle past Romania, Hong Kong and Korea, and although both Australia and Ireland went to Japan and thrashed them, the Blossoms still showed what a great team they are by scraping a draw with mighty France. & it's all down to their Kiwi coach. Yay!
Did you actually watch the game? Of course they are not in the top 10 for a reason. France would not have got the draw otherwise. But their game plan was amazing and they are going somewhere with it. They clearly targeted this game and they nearly succeeded.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Yes, you're preaching to the converted, guys. Japan, in spite of its very limited playing resources of only 105,000 players or so and one of the game's most lucrative professional leagues, has been outstanding this year, labouring to modest wins over Romania, Hong Kong and Korea, and getting thrashed at home by the Wallabies and Ireland (twice), then scraping a draw against this brilliant French team! The Blossoms are a team on the rise, my friends - and it's all because of their Kiwi coach !!