Ghislaine Maxwell

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

cashead wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
cashead wrote: Hmm yes, how dare these victims not want to go through the trauma of reliving her experience in the court of law, or in some cases, risk exposure in this current political and social climate? The audacity of them.
It's her call. And not an easy risk to take. But it would have been heroic if she had, and much better for all the other victims.
Once again, it's not fair to put any sort of expectation or obligation on her to go through reliving the trauma of what she experienced any more than she already has, nor should it be up to anyone else to litigate the decision she made.

It's almost as if the entire system is geared against rape victims and historic cases like hers are incredibly difficult to prove, let alone get a conviction out of.
She made the safe choice. It's completely understandable that she would do so. But I still wish she had done the heroic, risky thing.

It's like the Ukrainians who chose to stay and fight rather than escape the country. God knows that was the heroic, risky thing to do (much more so than the choice Giuffre faced). I don't know if I would have made that decision. But I'm glad they have.
Sandydragon

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote:
cashead wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: It's her call. And not an easy risk to take. But it would have been heroic if she had, and much better for all the other victims.
Once again, it's not fair to put any sort of expectation or obligation on her to go through reliving the trauma of what she experienced any more than she already has, nor should it be up to anyone else to litigate the decision she made.

It's almost as if the entire system is geared against rape victims and historic cases like hers are incredibly difficult to prove, let alone get a conviction out of.
I'd imagine she was given the advice that, "Look, we can keep going, but you're almost certainly going to lose," and decided better to mar his name with him settling than to risk him spinning not proven as innocent to the public.

Puja
it was a civil case so the only outcome for her was a financial payment and a civil conviction for Andrew, which isnt a criminal one and would only have destroyed his reputation still further.

Andrews reputation couldn't get any worse.
She got a financial settlement anyway.

I completely get why she felt the deal was a good option given that any court case could be a risk.

Unless a prosecutor in the UK or US decides there is enough evidence to investigate criminal cases (can't see that happening unless Maxwell looks for a deal) then no one is going anywhere near prison.