Snap General Election called

Banquo

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

how shyte was that debate last night? Labour again managed to say nothing, the most impressive people were the nationalists...well bar the English one, who really needs to disappear quickly otherwise the post 2016 discourse will get even more rancid if that's possible. And the Tories are truly very burned toast.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:18 am The woman has been arrested and, shock horror, she has an Onlyfans account.
And? The fuck does this have to do with anything?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The media making a big deal of it as if it’s a takedown and not a free promo.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:32 am The media making a big deal of it as if it’s a takedown and not a free promo.
So what are you trying to suggest here, then? Unless you've got evidence that the woman in question did this in an attempt to promote her OF - which only appears to be a topic being brought up by the likes of the Sun, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Daily Express and other such far right fash-rags and Reform-supporting mutants - you might want to think about what might be motivating those sorts of creatures.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yes. I thought that was incredibly obvious. Maybe the phrase “shock horror” doesn’t translate well to where you’re based.
Puja

Post by Puja »

cashead wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:50 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:32 am The media making a big deal of it as if it’s a takedown and not a free promo.
So what are you trying to suggest here, then? Unless you've got evidence that the woman in question did this in an attempt to promote her OF - which only appears to be a topic being brought up by the likes of the Sun, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Daily Express and other such far right fash-rags and Reform-supporting mutants - you might want to think about what might be motivating those sorts of creatures.
I think there's a crossed wire here Cashead - I believe Mikey's being sarcastic about the rags bringing the OF up, and noting that they're using it as a misogynistic gotcha but the practical effect is providing her with additional money. Unless I have misread it, he's arguing from the same position as you.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:38 pm
Banquo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:22 pm Rishi inadvertently throws the towel in and hands Remain even more votes in one of the all time worst pieces of political judgement. And it was planned nearly 2 months ago.
Was watching HIGNFY from last week and Victoria Coren-Mitchell kept stopping her evisceration of the various cock-ups of the campaigns so far to ask, "How are they *SO* *BAD* at this?!" It's a soundbite that's been playing on a loop in my head every time I think of this news story.

It is such an incredible own-goal. Sunak was already in danger of losing the white, reactionary, and racist demographic to Reform, both because Farage is so good at pandering to them and because Sunak isn't white. Farage was already playing the dog-whistle tune of "Sunak doesn't seem patriotic or to love this country as much as I do" even before this happened, and this will just play straight into his hands. This is the kind of blunder that could hand Reform 5-6 seats, and potentially knock the Conservatives down to double digit MPs.

I will take a moment of enjoyment that Sunak has spent so long stoking bullshit culture wars, only for Farage to swoop in at the last minute and steal the harvest of them.

Puja
Today's dog-whistle, "Sunak doesn't understand our culture." Clarified on questioning that *of course*, he meant as a rich person not understanding ordinary working folk, but the people it was aimed at heard what he meant loud and clear.

Unfortunately, Farage is the exception to our current incompetent politicians - he is very, very good at what he does. Just a shame it's so reprehensible.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:35 pm
Puja wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:38 pm
Banquo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:22 pm Rishi inadvertently throws the towel in and hands Remain even more votes in one of the all time worst pieces of political judgement. And it was planned nearly 2 months ago.
Was watching HIGNFY from last week and Victoria Coren-Mitchell kept stopping her evisceration of the various cock-ups of the campaigns so far to ask, "How are they *SO* *BAD* at this?!" It's a soundbite that's been playing on a loop in my head every time I think of this news story.

It is such an incredible own-goal. Sunak was already in danger of losing the white, reactionary, and racist demographic to Reform, both because Farage is so good at pandering to them and because Sunak isn't white. Farage was already playing the dog-whistle tune of "Sunak doesn't seem patriotic or to love this country as much as I do" even before this happened, and this will just play straight into his hands. This is the kind of blunder that could hand Reform 5-6 seats, and potentially knock the Conservatives down to double digit MPs.

I will take a moment of enjoyment that Sunak has spent so long stoking bullshit culture wars, only for Farage to swoop in at the last minute and steal the harvest of them.

Puja
Today's dog-whistle, "Sunak doesn't understand our culture." Clarified on questioning that *of course*, he meant as a rich person not understanding ordinary working folk, but the people it was aimed at heard what he meant loud and clear.

Unfortunately, Farage is the exception to our current incompetent politicians - he is very, very good at what he does. Just a shame it's so reprehensible.

Puja
Yep. Of course when challenged it’s because Sunak is rich and thus can’t understand normal people, nothing to do with skin colour. But who would trust that slippery little toad?

Do you listen to the News Agents podcast? They have been in and around Manchester asking voters about Farage. Some of the responses are illuminating.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Is Macron doing a Sunak, but calling time 2 years early in this case?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... exit-polls

Seems crazy, and irresponsible.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:42 pm Is Macron doing a Sunak, but calling time 2 years early in this case?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... exit-polls

Seems crazy, and irresponsible.
He’s taking a hell of a risk and could well find himself with a Prime Minister from the extreme right. But the French have only themselves to blame as nearly half the electorate stayed at home sitting on their backside and couldn’t be bothered to vote.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Just throwing it out there, but... Might Macron actually be acting morally?
I mean, the European Election vote makes it pretty clear indication that he doesn't have a mandate from the populous.
Doesn't that make it... the right thing to do, to see who the French people actually want as their president?

I know virtually none of us want a LeStylo presidency, and are alarmed by the continuing rise of the far right; but if we're democracy, and that's the will of the people, then... isn't it what should happen?

And yes, I know how ludicrous it is to even think that a high-powered politician acting in conscience rather than self-interest.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:29 am Just throwing it out there, but... Might Macron actually be acting morally?
I mean, the European Election vote makes it pretty clear indication that he doesn't have a mandate from the populous.
Doesn't that make it... the right thing to do, to see who the French people actually want as their president?

I know virtually none of us want a LeStylo presidency, and are alarmed by the continuing rise of the far right; but if we're democracy, and that's the will of the people, then... isn't it what should happen?

And yes, I know how ludicrous it is to even think that a high-powered politician acting in conscience rather than self-interest.
He may also think that it's better to get the far right government out of the way with him as President to temper its excesses for the first three years?

Puja
Backist Monk
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Puja wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:17 am
Which Tyler wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:29 am Just throwing it out there, but... Might Macron actually be acting morally?

He may also think that it's better to get the far right government out of the way with him as President to temper its excesses for the first three years?

Puja
But if he's a lame duck President with a "Peniste" (careful with the pronunciation) Prime Minister and cabinet, he'll surely have his work cut out to temper the excesses.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Meanwhile, in Hungary, where it was local elections alongside the european...

the equivalent of the Monster Raving Loony Party won a mayorship in the capital.

The Two Tailed Dog Party won the 12th district election.

Just to show you how far the opposition has fallen.

And in the EU elections, Fidesz got 11 seats, the guy who founded his party in April got 7!, and the coalition of opposition parties got 2 between 3 of them...

Yeah, a friend of ours resigned from his party over their opposition coalition with another party, and it's made the whole thing fall apart.
Son of Mathonwy

Stom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:15 pm Meanwhile, in Hungary, where it was local elections alongside the european...

the equivalent of the Monster Raving Loony Party won a mayorship in the capital.

And in the EU elections, Fidesz got 11 seats, the guy who founded his party in April got 7!, and the coalition of opposition parties got 2 between 3 of them...

Yeah, a friend of ours resigned from his party over their opposition coalition with another party, and it's made the whole thing fall apart.
I wish Count Binface would stand in a 'winnable' seat for once. :) But he (or it??) usually stands against the Prime Minister. Actually that probably does make it a winnable seat, what am I talking about??
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:34 pm
Stom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:15 pm Meanwhile, in Hungary, where it was local elections alongside the european...

I wish Count Binface would stand in a 'winnable' seat for once. :) But he (or it??) usually stands against the Prime Minister. Actually that probably does make it a winnable seat, what am I talking about??
I believe Count Binface's pronouns are he/him, although I would be happy if they were Count Binface/Count Binface.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:13 pm

I believe Count Binface's pronouns are he/him, although I would be happy if they were Count Binface/Count Binface.

Puja
In all seriousness, that would be the upset to end all upsets of Binface (Lord Binface if he were to pull it off) could unseat or just beat Sunak.

Come on, that HAS to be worth a social media campaign
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:24 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:13 pm

Puja
In all seriousness, that would be the upset to end all upsets of Binface (Lord Binface if he were to pull it off) could unseat or just beat Sunak.

Come on, that HAS to be worth a social media campaign
I'm sure Sunak has a few more gaffes left in him. He can make it happen!
Puja

Post by Puja »

I'm surprised that Starmer isn't going harder on the Tories being unable to keep a leader in place. Surely an easy attack line would be, "Sunak's claiming he'd do this and that - how can he make promises for the next Parliament when the Tory party could oust him any minute? Last election people voted for Boris Johnson and got Liz Truss! And then nobody at all voted for Rishi Sunak, but they got him anyway!"

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:16 pm I'm surprised that Starmer isn't going harder on the Tories being unable to keep a leader in place. Surely an easy attack line would be, "Sunak's claiming he'd do this and that - how can he make promises for the next Parliament when the Tory party could oust him any minute? Last election people voted for Boris Johnson and got Liz Truss! And then nobody at all voted for Rishi Sunak, but they got him anyway!"

Puja
For many potential Tory voters the prospect of Sunak being removed isn't that unattractive. Especially those who jumped to FarageUK.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I don’t think the threat of ditching Sunak will mean much to any of them.

Starmer framing the Tory manifesto as ‘Corbyn-like’ is possibly a smart move in terms of rhetoric amongst conservatives, but he really is a fucking weasel.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:39 pm Yeah I don’t think the threat of ditching Sunak will mean much to any of them.

Starmer framing the Tory manifesto as ‘Corbyn-like’ is possibly a smart move in terms of rhetoric amongst conservatives, but he really is a fucking weasel.
slightly odd as he campaigned for Corbyn's manifesto, having supported his non stance on brexit. He needs to be a bit careful tbh.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

So the objects thrown at Farage have been upgraded from milkshakes to cans and bits of cement (apparently).

Farage is a gigantic twat but this not only gives him free propaganda, it also sets a dangerous precedence for assaulting MPs and candidates in general that we should be steering clear of.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What precedent is being set? Haven’t people been arrested for it?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:50 pm What precedent is being set? Haven’t people been arrested for it?
Yes and that’s a good thing. But considering the support on here for throwing a milkshake over Farage last weeks, I’m curious where the red line is.