Snap General Election called

Sandydragon

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Sandydragon »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:50 am I don't know why I've listed to this or what I really expected. Stop the boats. Immigrants too expensive. Rwanda good idea, poorly executed, but no mention of the incredible cost.

Her bit on Kamala Harris was pretty funny. Acknowledges Trump has made errors but Harris wants to legalise weed (does she?) and "uses pronouns" so she would be a "disaster".
Truss has fully drunk of the cool aid. She thinks she can make money out of the far right circus a la Russel Brand and others. I’m not sure how seriously they take her but she has to pay the bills somehow I suppose.

Her total lack of self awareness is incredible though.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

cashead wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:17 am Just read that Victoria Atkins is threatening to run for Tory leader.

Fuck that fucking piece of shit waste of fucking skin.

I hope the footage of you performatively laughing as Sunak being a bigoted subhuman bag of fuck, cracking jokes about dead trans kids RIGHT IN FRONT OF BRIANNA GHEY'S MOTHER is repeated ad nauseum. I hope that footage haunts the rest of your faltering so-called political career. Your wide open mouth, your clanging peals of laughter. Oh how you laughed and laughed, like the good little soldier you are. You laughed and laughed, falling in line, like the craven toady that you are, and always will be. Fuck you.
Can I put you down for a £10 donation then?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:50 am Her bit on Kamala Harris was pretty funny. Acknowledges Trump has made errors but Harris wants to legalise weed (does she?) and "uses pronouns" so she would be a "disaster".
Harris worked with New York senator Jerry Nadler to introduce the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act which seeks to legalise weed at the federal level, provides investment into the weed farm industry, provides support for people affected by the War on Drugs, and expunge any low-level marijuana-related crimes from people's records.

Also, "she uses pronouns." Fucking lol. What a ridiculous statement. "SHE USES PRONOUNS!" Yes, and?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
cashead

Post by cashead »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:59 am
cashead wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:17 am Just read that Victoria Atkins is threatening to run for Tory leader.

I hope the footage of you performatively laughing as Sunak being a bigoted subhuman bag of fuck, cracking jokes about dead trans kids RIGHT IN FRONT OF BRIANNA GHEY'S MOTHER is repeated ad nauseum. I hope that footage haunts the rest of your faltering so-called political career. Your wide open mouth, your clanging peals of laughter. Oh how you laughed and laughed, like the good little soldier you are. You laughed and laughed, falling in line, like the craven toady that you are, and always will be. Fuck you.
Would mailing a bag full of literal shit count?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

cashead wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:08 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:59 am

Would mailing a bag full of literal shit count?
Its the thought that counts
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Jenrick really gunning for Tory leadership with this piece of blantant religious bigotry which should really have him expelled from any party (well, any party with standards):

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ar ... e-arrested
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:47 pm Jenrick really gunning for Tory leadership with this piece of blantant religious bigotry which should really have him expelled from any party (well, any party with standards):

Just commented the same on the Southport threat. He’s a total idiot.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:47 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:47 pm Jenrick really gunning for Tory leadership with this piece of blantant religious bigotry which should really have him expelled from any party (well, any party with standards):

Yeah, wasn't sure which tread was best for this. Imagine saying the equivalent about Jews in the Labour party.

Reckon it might clinch him leadership though.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Yeah, wasn't sure which tread was best for this. Imagine saying the equivalent about Jews in the Labour party.

With Braverman out of the race, he’s the favourite of the right. He has a decent chance and if he does win then it will be IDS all over again.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:36 pm

Yeah, wasn't sure which thread was best for this. Imagine saying the equivalent about Jews in the Labour party.

With Braverman out of the race, he’s the favourite of the right. He has a decent chance and if he does win then it will be IDS all over again.
IDS, but with Farage to the right, splitting the vote. Not pretty.

What an arse though. Even Priti Patel has noticed that these riots are actually a bad thing.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:47 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:36 pm
Yeah, wasn't sure which thread was best for this. Imagine saying the equivalent about Jews in the Labour party.

IDS, but with Farage to the right, splitting the vote. Not pretty.

What an arse though. Even Priti Patel has noticed that these riots are actually a bad thing.
He’s a pathetic little attention seeker. Straight out of the Trumpian/Boris playbook in many ways.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/law/article ... e-uk-court
The government has dropped an appeal against a judge’s decision to throw out a contempt case against a woman who stood outside a climate activist trial holding a placard about jury rights.

In an email sent on Thursday, a lawyer from the government legal department, led by Richard Hermer, who was recently appointed attorney general, said they had “further considered this case and decided not to pursue the appeal”.

It is the end of an 18-month legal saga for Trudi Warner, who was arrested after she stood outside inner London crown court for 30 minutes holding a sign saying: “Jurors, you have an absolute right to acquit according to your conscience.”
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Tomorrow (I think) marks the day that Kier Starmer draws level with Liz Truss for time spent as Prime Minister.
If he wants to beat the record, he needs to resign today
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:26 pm Tomorrow (I think) marks the day that Kier Starmer draws level with Liz Truss for time spent as Prime Minister.
If he wants to beat the record, he needs to resign today
Stop getting my hopes up!
Son of Mathonwy

Labour have lost a lot of their lead to the Tories and Reform in only 2 months. Way to go Starmer. Promise change then follow the same Tory plan and tell everyone things are going to get worse. Genius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... l_election
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:52 pm Labour have lost a lot of their lead to the Tories and Reform in only 2 months. Way to go Starmer. Promise change then follow the same Tory plan and tell everyone things are going to get worse. Genius.

He's doing exactly what he said he would plus what the oppo said he would as well.
Son of Mathonwy

Banquo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:07 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:52 pm Labour have lost a lot of their lead to the Tories and Reform in only 2 months. Way to go Starmer. Promise change then follow the same Tory plan and tell everyone things are going to get worse. Genius.

He's doing exactly what he said he would plus what the oppo said he would as well.
Yeah. To anyone who looked reasonably closely, I agree. I'm certainly not surprised.

But to most people - those not following politics - he promised change. Hence the rapid disappointment.

All great news for Farage. The people have seen how bad the Tories were. If Labour are not much different they'll turn to Farage and his bullshit easy answers.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:52 pm

Yeah. To anyone who looked reasonably closely, I agree. I'm certainly not surprised.

But to most people - those not following politics - he promised change. Hence the rapid disappointment.

All great news for Farage. The people have seen how bad the Tories were. If Labour are not much different they'll turn to Farage and his bullshit easy answers.
Give it 2 years. With the majority he has, polls are meaningless right now.
Son of Mathonwy

Stom wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:08 pm

He's got five years to get lucky on the economy while hoping that Farage continues to split the right vote without taking over the right.

Bad start though. You'd expect a honeymoon period for a few months at least, not an immediate fall off.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:46 pm

He's got five years to get lucky on the economy while hoping that Farage continues to split the right vote without taking over the right.

Bad start though. You'd expect a honeymoon period for a few months at least, not an immediate fall off.
This is politics in 2024.

All this handwringing is pointless.

He will make some unpopular decisions because he can. He’s being blamed for all kind of things he has no control over. They’ve made a couple of silly decisions. It’ll pass, it’s not a problem.

It’s more of a problem if he gets sidetracked following the polls.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/art ... des-survey

Hmmm, I wonder what could possibly have happened since 2013 to reduce people's pride in our nation, democracy, political influence etc?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:22 am

He will make some unpopular decisions because he can. He’s being blamed for all kind of things he has no control over. They’ve made a couple of silly decisions. It’ll pass, it’s not a problem.

Agreed. There's not going to be a honeymoon period when his opening moves are to depress expectations and say the country's in a horrible hole left by the opposition, but polls are utterly irrelevant to him with our electoral system. He has 5 years of nigh guaranteed power, regardless of what his popularity is now.

My major concern is that he's not making enough bold decisions, but is instead continuing on with the austerity "rules" from Osbourne that fucked the economy in the first place. If he's going to make unpopular decisions, surely he's better short-term pissing off the "a country's finances are like a credit card" folks rather than opting for, "When we said 'change', what we actually meant was 'the same again' with slightly less awful people in charge of it."

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:47 am https://www.theguardian.com/society/art ... des-survey

Hmmm, I wonder what could possibly have happened since 2013 to reduce people's pride in our nation, democracy, political influence etc?
Wokism.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:56 amWokism.
Is explicitly mentioned...
Britain’s history – in particular its conduct as an imperial power, including its prominent role in the transatlantic slave trade – has come under more critical scrutiny in recent years, fuelling culture wars where the right has blamed “woke” views in educational and cultural institutions for supposedly undermining national pride.
I suppose, at least the sentiment of "slavery is a bad thing" technically IS wokery
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:55 am
Stom wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:22 am

Agreed. There's not going to be a honeymoon period when his opening moves are to depress expectations and say the country's in a horrible hole left by the opposition, but polls are utterly irrelevant to him with our electoral system. He has 5 years of nigh guaranteed power, regardless of what his popularity is now.

My major concern is that he's not making enough bold decisions, but is instead continuing on with the austerity "rules" from Osbourne that fucked the economy in the first place. If he's going to make unpopular decisions, surely he's better short-term pissing off the "a country's finances are like a credit card" folks rather than opting for, "When we said 'change', what we actually meant was 'the same again' with slightly less awful people in charge of it."

Pika
Agreed.

I wonder where the strategy's coming from? Starmer's a lawyer, so maybe he's just delegating the economics to Reeves and whatever Blairite special advisors they have hanging around. Maybe he just thinks he's the best - things usually work out for him (they have so far!) so why should that not continue?

It's well to the right of what Labour did last time but I suppose it is quite Third Way in that the strategy is to hove slightly to the left of whatever the Tories are doing. Economics driven by politics. Unfortunately.