Good TV Shows

Numbers

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Numbers »

I watched The Bear yesterday, compelling viewing and in 30 minute chunks so quite easy to binge.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Anyone got any spoiler-free opinions on Rings of Power or Interview with the Vampire?

I'm wary about both of them - and wary of spoilers if I go looking
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:55 pm Anyone got any spoiler-free opinions on Rings of Power or Interview with the Vampire?

Rings of Power is great if you enjoyed the Lord of the Rings films and don't expect it to be like Game of Thrones. It's fantasy on the other end of the spectrum - good vs evil, not flawed human vs flawed human vs yet another flawed human. I find both enjoyable in quite different ways. GOT is gripping but in the end who really cares who wins? TROP has less surprises, less realism - the characters are more single-faceted - but you may care more what happens to them. And for epic spectacle, there's no better place than high fantasy.
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:55 pm Anyone got any spoiler-free opinions on Rings of Power or Interview with the Vampire?

Interview with the Vampire is well done. Other than some choices which would dismay the anti-woke element, there are no great surprises so far if you've seen the film. Anne Rice being an executive producer gives me some confidence at this fairly early stage in the show.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:02 amInterview with the Vampire is well done. Other than some choices which would dismay the anti-woke element, there are no great surprises so far if you've seen the film. Anne Rice being an executive producer gives me some confidence at this fairly early stage in the show.
Thank you
I quite liked the film, wife is a fan of the books, and dubious.

Anne Rice is doing well to be an exec producer - didn't she die last year? presumably an honourific
Son of Mathonwy

Andor is great. It's gritty and downbeat, as befits a prequel to Rogue One. As with that film (by a long way the best of the Disney efforts) we're watching a rebellion which really has the odds against it and (other than the protagonist who obviously must survive to reach the events of Rogue One) you feel the characters are in genuine peril.
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:02 amInterview with the Vampire is well done. Other than some choices which would dismay the anti-woke element, there are no great surprises so far if you've seen the film. Anne Rice being an executive producer gives me some confidence at this fairly early stage in the show.
Thank you

Anne Rice is doing well to be an exec producer - didn't she die last year? presumably an honourific
I had no idea about Rice's death (although it seems fitting that a show about the undead has a EP who has passed on)! According to Wikipedia she and her son had been developing the series since 2016 when the she reacquired the rights.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:12 am Andor is great. It's gritty and downbeat, as befits a prequel to Rogue One. As with that film (by a long way the best of the Disney efforts) we're watching a rebellion which really has the odds against it and (other than the protagonist who obviously must survive to reach the events of Rogue One) you feel the characters are in genuine peril.
Interesting to hear. I’d ignored it so far.

Mandalorian was surprisingly fun at first, Boba Fett thing was absolute garbage, so it seemed like it was following the pattern of films 7, 8, 9 and the third series would somehow be even worse than the second. This has me thinking maybe it’s worth a try though.
Son of Mathonwy

House of the Dragon ends season one well. This is a cash-in but what the hell, it's better than most things on TV right now. I feel I'm watching it as a neutral, not really rooting for anyone but still enjoying the progression of the story, as various characters try to advance their conflicting interests . . . with unhappy consequences.
morepork

Post by morepork »

That pout is a cross between Robert Smith and Kanye West
Son of Mathonwy

The Devil's Hour is on Prime but is just like one of those one-off BBC1 psychological drama miniseries. They don't usually do it for me but this one is good. Excellent explanation (well it pressed my buttons anyway).
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I watched SAS Rogue Hero's last night, it's very good if you like that sort of thing.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:32 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:12 am Andor is great. It's gritty and downbeat, as befits a prequel to Rogue One. As with that film (by a long way the best of the Disney efforts) we're watching a rebellion which really has the odds against it and (other than the protagonist who obviously must survive to reach the events of Rogue One) you feel the characters are in genuine peril.

Mandalorian was surprisingly fun at first, Boba Fett thing was absolute garbage, so it seemed like it was following the pattern of films 7, 8, 9 and the third series would somehow be even worse than the second. This has me thinking maybe it’s worth a try though.
So I’ve watched 2 episodes, admittedly with a big gap, and I don’t think I get it. It’s not straight-up shit like the Boba Fett/Kenobi ones, it just feels like it’s almost interesting without really grabbing me.

I understand it’s made as a prequel to a movie that was already a prequel, but it feels so tangentially related to Star Wars that the settings and ludicrous world just feel jarring? It feels much like the current trend of existing IP getting attached to completely random scripts. Like this was some slow-burn scandi-esque drama that they’ve Star Wars-ified to fit the Rogue One character(s).

I have no problem with ‘slow’, it’s probably my preference if anything, but I don’t know if this just isn’t for me or I haven’t given it enough time. Did fans here take to it straight away?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:31 pm

So I’ve watched 2 episodes, admittedly with a big gap, and I don’t think I get it. It’s not straight-up shit like the Boba Fett/Kenobi ones, it just feels like it’s almost interesting without really grabbing me.

I understand it’s made as a prequel to a movie that was already a prequel, but it feels so tangentially related to Star Wars that the settings and ludicrous world just feel jarring? It feels much like the current trend of existing IP getting attached to completely random scripts. Like this was some slow-burn scandi-esque drama that they’ve Star Wars-ified to fit the Rogue One character(s).

I have no problem with ‘slow’, it’s probably my preference if anything, but I don’t know if this just isn’t for me or I haven’t given it enough time. Did fans here take to it straight away?
Stick with it. I found it took 5 episodes before I was really hooked but its 12 episodes that build brilliantly throughout, it's really well acted and the scripts are great. Best thing I've seen in years.
Son of Mathonwy

switchskier wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:55 pm

Stick with it. I found it took 5 episodes before I was really hooked but its 12 episodes that build brilliantly throughout, it's really well acted and the scripts are great. Best thing I've seen in years.
Just finished episode 12. Excellent. Star Wars for grown-ups.

By contrast, although the Mandalorian is reasonably enjoyable, it is really for kids - like (I admit through clenched teeth) most of Star Wars. Pretty much a space cowboy show for the most part.

Baby Yoda is great though.
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:25 am
Which Tyler wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:11 am
Thank you

I had no idea about Rice's death (although it seems fitting that a show about the undead has a EP who has passed on)! According to Wikipedia she and her son had been developing the series since 2016 when the she reacquired the rights.
Interview with the Vampire is pretty high quality stuff. Maybe the material was stretched a little thin to make 7 episodes, but still enjoyable.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:08 pm

By contrast, although the Mandalorian is reasonably enjoyable, it is really for kids - like (I admit through clenched teeth) most of Star Wars. Pretty much a space cowboy show for the most part.

I watched the third one and to be honest it still didn't grab me. I don't know a single character's name or have any attachment to them. My issue is kind of that Star Wars is inherently dumb, and it just feels weird having all this tense music and slick production on it. Happened to see that the writer for episodes 4-6 is someone I quite like though, so I might give it another chance. That and watching endless TV shows helps me put off fixing my life.

Trevor from Eastenders is pretty funny though.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:08 pm

I watched the third one and to be honest it still didn't grab me. I don't know a single character's name or have any attachment to them. My issue is kind of that Star Wars is inherently dumb, and it just feels weird having all this tense music and slick production on it. Happened to see that the writer for episodes 4-6 is someone I quite like though, so I might give it another chance. That and watching endless TV shows helps me put off fixing my life.

Trevor from Eastenders is pretty funny though.
There's a big change of scene from episode 4, for what it's worth.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Enjoyed The English with Emily Blunt, and Chaske Spencer. Show stealing scenes from Nicola McAuliffe. Great chemistry between the leads, and no lack of restraint in showing how gritty life was back in the day in the US.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-dead-body

My Dead Body
10pm, Channel 4

"She just wanted to leave something behind." These are the simple, heartbreaking words of Toni Crews's mum, Jo, as she discusses her daughter's decision to allow her body to be publicly dissected after her death from cancer in 2020. Thanks to AI voice technology and extracts from her social media posts, Toni's personality comes across throughout the film: it's clear that her desire to advance the cause of medicine drove her to this decision, and the team responsible for the dissection are anxious to honour her memory.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

The Swimmers (Netflix) - compulsory viewing for those hardliners on small boat crossings. Parts are immensely moving.
Son of Mathonwy

Chainsaw Man. Yeah it's adolescent, yeah its gratuitous, but it's actually surprisingly good, er, for that kind of thing.
Son of Mathonwy

Banquo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:29 pm Enjoyed The English with Emily Blunt, and Chaske Spencer. Show stealing scenes from Nicola McAuliffe. Great chemistry between the leads, and no lack of restraint in showing how gritty life was back in the day in the US.
I enjoyed it. A very strange show - it seemed deliberately made to be as different as possible from other westerns. The relationship between the leads kept it together but there were a whole lot of random encounters with insanely over-the-top villains along the way which didn't seem to make much difference to the plot.

I hadn't heard about prairie oysters prior to this. I was probably happier that way. :shock: