Leicester v Stade Francais (Sunday 13:45 - BT Sport Europe)

Moderator: Puja

Stom

Re: Leicester v Stade Francais (Sunday 13:45 - BT Sport Europe)

Post by Stom »

Tuilagi is looking the business at 12 now, though. I think his hands are not bad at all, and he's shown he can pass in recent weeks. I definitely see him as the best option there now. But I also like the idea of changing up the style if we need to, and Slade really offers that. He needs some gametime at 10, though. I'd have him in the 22 shirt, with Farrell missing out. I think that would give us the best balance. 23 can then be one of Daly, May, Yarde...
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:Tuilagi is looking the business at 12 now, though. I think his hands are not bad at all, and he's shown he can pass in recent weeks. I definitely see him as the best option there now. But I also like the idea of changing up the style if we need to, and Slade really offers that. He needs some gametime at 10, though. I'd have him in the 22 shirt, with Farrell missing out. I think that would give us the best balance. 23 can then be one of Daly, May, Yarde...
Think Slade will end up as a 10 at Chiefs- as competent as Steenson is, you can't really see Devoto, Hill and Campagnaro missing out a lot of the time between them...and Whitten and perhaps Nowell (13) for that matter.
padprop

Post by padprop »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:Tuilagi is looking the business at 12 now, though. I think his hands are not bad at all, and he's shown he can pass in recent weeks. I definitely see him as the best option there now. But I also like the idea of changing up the style if we need to, and Slade really offers that. He needs some gametime at 10, though. I'd have him in the 22 shirt, with Farrell missing out. I think that would give us the best balance. 23 can then be one of Daly, May, Yarde...
Think Slade will end up as a 10 at Chiefs- as competent as Steenson is, you can't really see Devoto, Hill and Campagnaro missing out a lot of the time between them...and Whitten and perhaps Nowell (13) for that matter.
Gitau would regularly play 12 for club and slot in at 10 for australia and vise versa.

Although I don't think you slot Slade in just yet. I think you start with Ford, Tuilagi and Joseph with Faz at 22 and wait until Ford or Faz play themselves out of the shirt.

Daly at 23 of course.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

padprop wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Gitau would regularly play 12 for club and slot in at 10 for australia and vise versa.

Although I don't think you slot Slade in just yet. I think you start with Ford, Tuilagi and Joseph with Faz at 22 and wait until Ford or Faz play themselves out of the shirt.

Daly at 23 of course.
Giteau is a proven high class player and got experience in both positions below intl level (not sure how many)- he's an exceptional talent; if Slade is as good as him then great. We'd also have to pick the appropriate back three and backrow to benefit from using a 2nd 5/8th style of player and work out a different game plan than with playing Tuilagi at 12. None of which is insurmountable.

I know Chiefs do interchange at 12 and 13, but I'd still like to see Slade actually start at 12 and defend there off first phase; I also would like to see him at 10 more often. It'll come.

I agree with your start point completely- though given some more games at 10, Slade could be your 22. You could even put him there now tbh.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Campagnaro has missed out a lot this season. Only so much of that can be getting used to a new club when looking at some of the seemingly less talented players getting picked ahead of him.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:Campagnaro has missed out a lot this season. Only so much of that can be getting used to a new club when looking at some of the seemingly less talented players getting picked ahead of him.
He has, and showed remarkable form for Italy despite not a lot of game time.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:Campagnaro has missed out a lot this season. Only so much of that can be getting used to a new club when looking at some of the seemingly less talented players getting picked ahead of him.

Must be something Baxter doesn't like, and with Devoto on his way Campagnaro might be on the move. I'm not a huge Steenson fan but he's playing well, scoring points, and he's clearly a big leader in that squad and could very likely play another 2-3 seasons, so it'd be a big step dropping Steenson to put Slade at 10. Something has to give, seems very unlikely they can keep Steenson, Slade, Hill, Devoto, Campagnaro all happy absent of injuries, Whitten perhaps not such a concern and might move to wing again, and there's also Nowell might lose his wing place with England and agitate for games at 13 (or 15)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Must be something Baxter doesn't like, and with Devoto on his way Campagnaro might be on the move. I'm not a huge Steenson fan but he's playing well, scoring points, and he's clearly a big leader in that squad and could very likely play another 2-3 seasons, so it'd be a big step dropping Steenson to put Slade at 10. Something has to give, seems very unlikely they can keep Steenson, Slade, Hill, Devoto, Campagnaro all happy absent of injuries, Whitten perhaps not such a concern and might move to wing again, and there's also Nowell might lose his wing place with England and agitate for games at 13 (or 15)
Pretty much what I said above.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Giteau's a bit of a wild comparison for Slade at this point, isn't it? Slade has a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anywhere near the level of ability that Giteau was at this stage of his career (let alone subsequently, playing internationally at 9, 10 and 12)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Peej wrote:Giteau's a bit of a wild comparison for Slade at this point, isn't it? Slade has a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anywhere near the level of ability that Giteau was at this stage of his career (let alone subsequently, playing internationally at 9, 10 and 12)
yep, as I said, it'd be great if Slade proved to be that good; and Giteau was playing/benching for Oz regularly from the age of 19/20.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Peej wrote:Giteau's a bit of a wild comparison for Slade at this point, isn't it? Slade has a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anywhere near the level of ability that Giteau was at this stage of his career (let alone subsequently, playing internationally at 9, 10 and 12)
Now, there's a thought. Can Slade play at 9?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:
probably, after all he is a world class 12 without actually appearing there :)
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote: probably, after all he is a world class 12 without actually appearing there :)
And for all 12 and 13 are nearly the same they're not as similar to each other as both roles are to the 9
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I always liked the idea of Beaumont playing at 10.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:I always liked the idea of Beaumont playing at 10.
His dad played full back on his debut for Fylde

(3rds)
p/d

Post by p/d »

Banquo wrote:

(3rds)

Back when pace outshone ability under the high ball.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

p/d wrote:
Banquo wrote:

(3rds)

Back when pace outshone ability under the high ball.
And now FBs are as heavy as the locks were then!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
It's possible that you bang on about this even more often than I do about how crap Youngs is.

I know you're not quite being serious but it's just something that's worth a look. The way Exeter play doesn't really make him a 13 but I agree it would be good to see that he can handle defending there. I can't say I've seen much to make me worry about him in defence.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
It's possible that you bang on about this even more often than I do about how crap Youngs is.

I know you're not quite being serious but it's just something that's worth a look. The way Exeter play doesn't really make him a 13 but I agree it would be good to see that he can handle defending there. I can't say I've seen much to make me worry about him in defence.
I assume you weren't watching when he played 10 for the Saxons then?

I am a bit serious in that he has been the messiah at 12 for a long time and has yet to play there. He's a talented lad for sure, and he'll probably be fine to very good straight away. Let's find out, eh. I'd also say its not just about him, we'd have to change the side to accomodate what he likely offers at 12 effectively.

Sorry for 'banging on'.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:I'd also say its not just about him, we'd have to change the side to accomodate what he likely offers at 12 effectively.
What will he offer at 12 that differs from what certain theory would hold that the incumbent offers?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:I'd also say its not just about him, we'd have to change the side to accomodate what he likely offers at 12 effectively.
What will he offer at 12 that differs from what certain theory would hold that the incumbent offers?
being better at it....but the side needed changing to maximise the incumbent's theoretical impact.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Banquo wrote:
A bit hard on Steenson - quite an underrated FH, a good distributor as well as an ace goal kicker, and runs a bit now too. Steenson and Waldrom are the two main reasons why Exeter are where they are at present. Devoto has potential but is currently nothing outstanding. He is quite lucky to have a spot on the England squad considering the alternatives available to Jones. He is not an automatic starter at Bath when all are fit, and he may not start at Exter when he moves there too.
Campagnaro is a very good 13, possibly the best in the recent 6N. On a good team with plenty of front foot ball he would really shine.
If Jones wants to build a game plan around Tuilagi at 12, Hill would be an ideal backup. He runs hard and straight but has a bit more to his game than being just a bosher. A good player.
That said - Slade looks a bit special with his all round skills, time on the ball, game reading, passing, big boot etc. You'd want to fit him in somewhere in the England squad. Slade and Daly, plus a scrum half would cover all the back positions from the bench. But I think Daly could well play himself on to the starting XV next season. Slade would also be a good alternative starter to a non-boshing 12, depending on game plan.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Spiffy wrote:
Banquo wrote:
A bit hard on Steenson - quite an underrated FH, a good distributor as well as an ace goal kicker, and runs a bit now too. Steenson and Waldrom are the two main reasons why Exeter are where they are at present. Devoto has potential but is currently nothing outstanding. He is quite lucky to have a spot on the England squad considering the alternatives available to Jones. He is not an automatic starter at Bath when all are fit, and he may not start at Exter when he moves there too.
Campagnaro is a very good 13, possibly the best in the recent 6N. On a good team with plenty of front foot ball he would really shine.
If Jones wants to build a game plan around Tuilagi at 12, Hill would be an ideal backup. He runs hard and straight but has a bit more to his game than being just a bosher. A good player.
That said - Slade looks a bit special with his all round skills, time on the ball, game reading, passing, big boot etc. You'd want to fit him in somewhere in the England squad. Slade and Daly, plus a scrum half would cover all the back positions from the bench. But I think Daly could well play himself on to the starting XV next season. Slade would also be a good alternative starter to a non-boshing 12, depending on game plan.
...Steenson is a competent 10, its not a slur, I quite like him as a player. I'm just speculating on how Exeter can best make use of the talent available.
Digby

Post by Digby »

In isolation I'd contend that the best Exeter midfield would be Slade, Devoto and Campagnaro. But that wouldn't let them split the field as they do now with Steenson and Slade, it wouldn't give them the extra bit of grunt carrying that Hill brings, and it mayn't be the best balance for how their pack can best support a game given they tend to like big units such a Francis, Lees, Ewers and Waldrom. Exeter may also need little reminding the last time they looked to really expand or change-up their game in one go they ended up going back to some of their basics as it saw them losing more than they'd become accustomed to, and then they built again in small steps to the present

Baxter certainly has some options, and how he looks to use them will again make Exeter one of the more interesting clubs. And too with the money spent I doubt it'll be easy to sell next season as a developmental season, he needs to have them push on again when looking to win something.

Edit - And additional to bringing in Devoto there's also Tuner (who may be incidental to a style change) and perhaps more telling Holmes and Dennis to come into the pack, and perhaps those last two with ever more prominent roles for Hepburn, LCD and Armand give an indication of how they'll look to develop.
Last edited by Digby on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:In isolation I'd contend that the best Exeter midfield would be Slade, Devoto and Campagnaro. But that wouldn't let them split the field as they do now with Steenson and Slade, it wouldn't give them the extra bit of grunt carrying that Hill brings, and it mayn't be the best balance for how their pack can best support a game given they tend to like big units such a Francis, Lees, Ewers and Waldrom. Exeter may also need little reminding the last time they looked to really expand or change-up their game in one go they ended up going back to some of their basics as it saw them losing more than they'd become accustomed to, and then they built again in small steps to the present

Baxter certainly has some options, and how he looks to use them will again make Exeter one of the more interesting clubs. And too with the money spent I doubt it'll be easy to sell next season as a developmental season, he needs to have them push on again when looking to win something.
....why couldn't they split the field with Devoto? He looks a more than capable distributor to me. I also think he can truck up if necessary- he's quite a big unit, as could Campagnaro. It'd take a little bit of work, but doable you'd think?