London Scottish

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

London Scottish

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

New thread.. anyone keeping up with them? Lineen and Grant seem to have made an immediate impact. They're unbeaten under them so far. 5 Games I believe it is.
Argus

Re: London Scottish

Post by Argus »

I go to most home games. Big improvement last couple of weeks, though quite fortunate against Carnegie and Welsh by scoring tries in the last minute to win.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Big improvement since I stopped wandering along seemingly. High hopes for next season.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

switchskier wrote:Big improvement since I stopped wandering along seemingly. High hopes for next season.
You're banned.

Is Horne still down there?
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Just noticed that Bright is leaving LS. That will leave a huge hole as he is one of their star players and their captain.

Talking about Kelly Brown on the other thread made me think he would be an ideal fit... he's Scottish, perfectly capable of making a huge impact at that level, has leadership & captaincy experience and the young academy lads would learn a lot from him.

I'm not sure LS could afford him though.

The other option would be Hoggy.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

He still at Newcastle?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hogg still starting for Newcastle and London is a bit further from home. Which IIRC was one of the reasons he chose Newcastle.

Brown and Hogg both 33 so nearing that point in their respective careers where they may move into coaching etc.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:Hogg still starting for Newcastle and London is a bit further from home. Which IIRC was one of the reasons he chose Newcastle.

Brown and Hogg both 33 so nearing that point in their respective careers where they may move into coaching etc.
Mark Bright must be almost 40. Different pace in the championship.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Big D wrote:Hogg still starting for Newcastle and London is a bit further from home. Which IIRC was one of the reasons he chose Newcastle.

He's 2 years older (36 this year) than KB (34 this year). Wiki profile block wrong

Brown (12yrs) and Hogg (14yrs) both have significantly more high level professional miles on the clock and may not have the appetite to carry on at Championship level.

I think KB is already helping coach at Sarries.
Last edited by Big D on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Big D wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

He's 2 years older (36 this year) than KB (34 this year)
38 this year I think. LSFC profile has him born in '78. Its sad to see him go as he's been consistently excellent and is a top bloke. He's moving to Ealing Trailfinders. Huge blow for the squad and agree with others we need someone to come in with some leadership experience as its lacking in such a young squad.
Big D

Post by Big D »

sharvey44 wrote:
Big D wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
He's 2 years older (36 this year) than KB (34 this year)
38 this year I think. LSFC profile has him born in '78. Its sad to see him go as he's been consistently excellent and is a top bloke. He's moving to Ealing Trailfinders. Huge blow for the squad and agree with others we need someone to come in with some leadership experience as its lacking in such a young squad.
Yup his wiki profile block is wrong.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Valid points but it's just an idea. One thing is for certain - LS will need to sign a big player in that position to fill the gap.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Valid points but it's just an idea. One thing is for certain - LS will need to sign a big player in that position to fill the gap.
I really rate Freddie Clark. He has looked very good at 6/8 when ever I have seen him play.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Grove brothers start together for Nottingham clash

London Scottish have named their side to face Nottingham on Sunday at Lady Bay, as seventh plays sixth in the Greene King IPA Championship.

The Scots are on a five match winning run in all competitions and could move above Nottingham on Sunday with a win that would take them in to the top six.

Oli and Alex Grove start together for the first time in professional rugby, the brothers played against each other last season but will feature alongside each other at Lady Bay.

The starting line-up features nine changes from the team that beat Cornish Pirates in their last match a fortnight ago, the majority are in the forwards with the relatively settled back-line looking to fire once again.

James Hallam, Tyrone Moran and Matt Shields start in the front-row, with Will Carrick Smith and Josh Thomas Brown behind in the second-row.

Rory Bartle moves to the back-row, and will start alongside Tinus du Plessis and captain Freddie Clarke.

The back-line sees a new half-back pairing of George Horne and Oli Grove, with Robbie Fergusson and Alex Grove in the centre once again.

It is an unchanged back-three that will start at Lady Bay, with Jason Harries and Howard Packman on the wings and January's Player of the Month Peter Lydon at full-back.

Adam Kwasnicki, Jack Cosgrove and Max Maidment will offer another front-row option from the bench, with Chris Walker and Mark Bright covering the back-row.

Matt Heeks is also on the bench, alongside Worcester Warriors winger Sam Smith, who joined on loan for the rest of the season last week and will be looking to make his first appearance for the Scots.

London Scottish team to play Nottingham on Sunday 28th February at 15:00 in the Greene King IPA Championship at Lady Bay.

15 Peter Lydon 14 Howard Packman 13 Robbie Fergusson 12 Alex Grove 11 Jason Harries 10 Oli Grove 9 George Horne 1 James Hallam 2 Tyrone Moran 3 Matt Shields 4 Will Carrick Smith 5 Josh Thomas Brown 6 Rory Bartle 7 Tinus du Plessis 8 Freddie Clarke (c)

Replacements:
16 Adam Kwasnicki 17 Jack Cosgrove 18 Max Maidment 19 Chris Walker 20 Mark Bright 21 Matt Heeks 22 Sam Smith
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

All the inside backs are Scottish! Interesting.

Will Carrick-Smith isn't SQ but is an absolute monster, well over 20 stone and about 7 foot tall.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:All the inside backs are Scottish! Interesting.

Will Carrick-Smith isn't SQ but is an absolute monster, well over 20 stone and about 7 foot tall.
and useless. for his size he doesn't utilise it as well as he could.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Robbie Fergusson makes permanent move to London Scottish

London Scottish can today announce that promising centre Robbie Fergusson has signed permanently from the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy.

The centre has been an ever-present in the starting line-up since arriving on loan in November, and will be a major part of the squad for the 16/17 season.

Fergusson scored his first try for the Scots in the narrow defeat to Jersey in March, and in recent weeks has formed a fearsome partnership with Jason Harries in the midfield.

The 22-year-old broke in to the Ayr first team at the age of just 17, and joined the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy last summer. He featured twice for Glasgow Warriors before heading to Richmond, and has also gained 13 caps for Scotland Under 20's.

With the new performance partnership between London Scottish and the SRU, Fergusson is one of many young Scots to have impressed in the 15/16 campaign, along with the likes of George Horne and Rory Hughes.

The Scot is looking forward to another year of regular rugby in Richmond. "I know that I have areas to improve but with game time I will hope to be as influential as I can be."

Fergusson added: "I'm really pleased to have signed for Scottish, it's a great environment for me to improve and become a better player.

The SRU partnership has been great for me and put me in the right direction, so hopefully it can also be a a path for many others to do the same."

Head Coach Peter Richards praised Fergusson's influence since coming down on loan in November.

"Robbie has been hugely impressive and we are delighted to have secured his services for next season.

He was given the November Player of the Month award along with George Horne as they raised the bar when they arrived, which is reflected by his consistent performances on the pitch week in week out."
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

And why couldn't Edinburgh have come in for him...? Their centres are mostly shite and not scottish.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:And why couldn't Edinburgh have come in for him...? Their centres are mostly shite and not scottish.
I was wondering that too. Maybe Edinburgh have 'dibs' on him if he develops well down there.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Chunks Baws wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:And why couldn't Edinburgh have come in for him...? Their centres are mostly shite and not scottish.
I was wondering that too. Maybe Edinburgh have 'dibs' on him if he develops well down there.
Has anyone gone down there and actually gone on to get a top flight contract?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Maybe they did. Are the two under 20's centres not aligned to Edinburgh? I may have that wrong.

Maybe he decided that he has felt wanted and comfortable at LS and wants to stay for another year. Rasolea will have been signed to start most weeks at 13 and Dean plays there too.

"The Scot is looking forward to another year of regular rugby in Richmond. "I know that I have areas to improve but with game time I will hope to be as influential as I can be."

I would imagine the likelihood of starting almost every game was a strong pull too. Plus it appears it is only for 1 year and he is still within the sphere of some influence from the SRU.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Chunks Baws wrote:
Tomas Francis - Exeter
Eric Fry - Falcons
Jamie Stevenson - Wasps

Granted not Academy but its early days
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

sharvey44 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Chunks Baws wrote:
Tomas Francis - Exeter
Eric Fry - Falcons
Jamie Stevenson - Wasps

Granted not Academy but its early days
Is Stevenson the Scottish scrum half?

I wasn't meaning it as a dig as they're definitely improving, more curiosity as we always seem to think it's good for fringe players to head down there and we'll see them again in a season or two but I can't think of any that have gone on to good things.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Hasn't done Horne, Davidson, Hughes any harm.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Who's Davidson?

Didn't realise Horne went there and Hughes was only a loan was he not?