So ! . . . You don't want the job ?

Discreet Hooker

So ! . . . You don't want the job ?

Post by Discreet Hooker »

A good mate works for the Local Authority . One of his jobs is the hiring & firing of drivers both full and part time . He recently advertised a part time job for a van driver to make deliveries around local schools . The usual number of suspects applied mostly known to him . These people are all full time unemployed and are in receipt of Job~Seekers Allowance . They turn up for the interview and ask said mate to sign their ' docket ' in order to prove they have attended an ' interview ' thus maintaining all their benefits . These are some of the regular tricks just in case there is any danger of being offered the job : ~

1. Regular applicant turns up with can of beer in hand .
2. Another tells him he has to catch three bus's and cant work before 10 a.m.
3. One guy says he will only do job if he can keep van overnight .
4. Another turns up , unwashed & unshaven and grunts thru' ' interview ' .
5. One says he'll do the job so long as someone loads the van as he has a bad back .
6, One guy tells him he is awaiting the outcome of a Drink n' Drive case about four years ago .

This particular job was given to a Romanian guy complete with new A to Z street guide . :oops:
Mellsblue

Re: So ! . . . You don't want the job ?

Post by Mellsblue »

Discreet Hooker wrote:A good mate works for the Local Authority . One of his jobs is the hiring & firing of drivers both full and part time . He recently advertised a part time job for a van driver to make deliveries around local schools . The usual number of suspects applied mostly known to him . These people are all full time unemployed and are in receipt of Job~Seekers Allowance . They turn up for the interview and ask said mate to sign their ' docket ' in order to prove they have attended an ' interview ' thus maintaining all their benefits . These are some of the regular tricks just in case there is any danger of being offered the job : ~

1. Regular applicant turns up with can of beer in hand .
2. Another tells him he has to catch three bus's and cant work before 10 a.m.
3. One guy says he will only do job if he can keep van overnight .
4. Another turns up , unwashed & unshaven and grunts thru' ' interview ' .
5. One says he'll do the job so long as someone loads the van as he has a bad back .
6, One guy tells him he is awaiting the outcome of a Drink n' Drive case about four years ago .

This particular job was given to a Romanian guy complete with new A to Z street guide . :oops:
Well done to the Romanian lad for actually wanting to work. Perhaps he'll have your mates' job when he comes up with the ingenious, cutting edge idea of buying a mobile phone holder for each van so the drivers can use google maps.

I once had a job as shift manager at a bar during uni summer holidays. Not only were they stupid enough to give me responsibility for stock and tills etc they asked me to employ a couple of new bar staff. The amount of losers who turned up for the interviews but were unable to work Friday nights and Saturday was, in hindsight, hilarious.
Discreet Hooker

The post has a fun side of course but the down side is that people able to work but choose not to, can obtain benefits even when jobs are available . We are told that up to 500, 000 people arrived in the Uk in the last 12 months alone , most of which we assume have gained employment of sorts . Surely the threat of non or reduced payments could make these dossers seriously look for work .
morepork

Post by morepork »

That is annoying. How much to they get on the benny relative to full time work?
Discreet Hooker

morepork wrote:That is annoying. How much to they get on the benny relative to full time work?

Not sure of the exact amounts but I know a guy who was genuinely made redundant . Had four school age children and immediately went on benefits . After 12 months he secured new employment and told me that he was financially worse off in his new job.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

There's also things like rent being paid for you to consider.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Is that JSA on top of the dole?
Discreet Hooker

The guy told me that whilst unemployed he didn't have to pay for school dinners for the kids ( x 4 ) , delivered milk was paid for , Family Allowance of course ( x 4) and his wife was entitled to tax credits . Help of sorts to rent/mortgage . Not sure what all that would amount to in terms of money but I'm sure the duckers & divers on the rock n' roll would know to the nearest penny .
kk67

Post by kk67 »

morepork wrote:Is that JSA on top of the dole?
They're the same thing.....the only difference is that on JSA you aren't part of the unemployment figures.
The highly massaged and distinctly fishy unemployment figures that make the crime statistics look accurate.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

kk67 wrote:
They're the same thing.....the only difference is that on JSA you aren't part of the unemployment figures.
The highly massaged and distinctly fishy unemployment figures that make the crime statistics look accurate.
I thought Job Seekers Allowance was less than the dole, which you get if you've previously been employed, that was a long time ago tho so could have changed.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Numbers wrote:
kk67 wrote:
I thought Job Seekers Allowance was less than the dole, which you get if you've previously been employed, that was a long time ago tho so could have changed.
I think you only get 'unemployment benefit' for 6/8 weeks..?. After that it's all JSA.
This is useful for the government because once you're on JSA you are no longer considered to be claiming benefit.....it's an allowance. This might seem a small technical point but actually it has a massive impact not just on the unemployment stats but also on just what other benefits people are eligible to claim.
The treatment of some of this countries most vulnerable citizens is utterly disgusting. These people have nothing and their only route to escape extreme poverty is to appear on the Jeremy Kyle show.
Discreet Hooker

Amazing how many young men you see on the streets day after day , pushing a pram/pushchair complete with baseball cap, neck chain , trackie bottoms, smoking with brand new trainers and sometimes accompanied by a ' staffie ' as an optional fashion extra .

This is a post of an old man obviously . :o
Stom

Post by Stom »

Discreet Hooker wrote:The guy told me that whilst unemployed he didn't have to pay for school dinners for the kids ( x 4 ) , delivered milk was paid for , Family Allowance of course ( x 4) and his wife was entitled to tax credits . Help of sorts to rent/mortgage . Not sure what all that would amount to in terms of money but I'm sure the duckers & divers on the rock n' roll would know to the nearest penny .
Would it not make sense to simply combine this all into one simple payment? Perhaps split different ways, but all from the same pot?

Surely that could cut costs somewhere, plus fill in some potential blackholes/loopholes.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

For menial work, the difference between various allowances and actually working, once all benefits are included (particularly if children are involved) is minimal. If a bit of spare time can be spent working for cash, it makes financially sense to stay unemployed.

If someone can con a tame doctor that they have a bad back, then the whole world of disability payments opens up to them.

None of this is new, which is why employers want to employ immigrant labour.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Amazing how many young men you see on the streets day after day , pushing a pram/pushchair complete with baseball cap, neck chain , trackie bottoms, smoking with brand new trainers and sometimes accompanied by a ' staffie ' as an optional fashion extra .

There you go.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

JSA is the dole. There hasn't been such a thing as unemployment benefit for years. It gets decreased or removed if you don't genuinely look for a job.

Stom, universal credit is an attempt to consolidate all these payments into one. There have been some problems in the implementation but it's a sound idea.

In a civilised country even the indolent shouldn't starve. I all for setting their benefits at survival rates, but I'm not sure benefits are much higher than that on the whole.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:JSA is the dole. There hasn't been such a thing as unemployment benefit for years. It gets decreased or removed if you don't genuinely look for a job.

Stom, universal credit is an attempt to consolidate all these payments into one. There have been some problems in the implementation but it's a sound idea.

In a civilised country even the indolent shouldn't starve. I all for setting their benefits at survival rates, but I'm not sure benefits are much higher than that on the whole.
I don't know too much about JSA, was never my topic of choice.

But it does seem like the vast differences in cost of living between, say, London, Manchester, Saffron Walden and Rhyll mean that someone on JSA in Manchester is considerably worse off than someone living in Rhyll or Middlesborough, etc.

Interestingly, I just did a calculator for Middlesborough and Richmond, and these came out. No allowance for council tax in Richmond for some reason...

Boro
http://imgur.com/a/qHL17

RIchmond
http://imgur.com/a/K1gCB
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:JSA is the dole. There hasn't been such a thing as unemployment benefit for years. It gets decreased or removed if you don't genuinely look for a job.

Define survival. I agree that no one should starve, but how much money should those on benefits who are making no effort to find work receive for luxury items? Does survival include alcohol, tobacco and McDonalds?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Sandydragon wrote:

Define survival. I agree that no one should starve, but how much money should those on benefits who are making no effort to find work receive for luxury items? Does survival include alcohol, tobacco and McDonalds?

You are never going to able to control for that demographic, and making the assumption that the entire population under discussion are defined by this does more harm to the genuinely motivated (and there are a lot of them) than good. In NZ recently, the government, as is their want there, decided that compulsory drug testing for beneficiaries was to be introduced and that refusal/failure to participate was grounds for getting your rock and role terminated. Over a three year period, 30-40 000 individuals per year were tested, with 466 individuals in total failing/refusing. That means, at a conservative estimate ~0.5% of the target population were actually using. The whole policy was based on anecdotal evidence from "employers" of "people failing drug tests", and used to justify de-regulation of immigrant labour policies to keep wages low. An alarmingly provincial exercise in social engineering. I'm not saying that the drug abuse category accommodates all the specific metrics you refer to, but be careful how you apply those broad strokes, because people undeserving of criticism get plastered by them
Last edited by morepork on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Amazing how many young men you see on the streets day after day , pushing a pram/pushchair complete with baseball cap, neck chain , trackie bottoms, smoking with brand new trainers and sometimes accompanied by a ' staffie ' as an optional fashion extra .

It's amazing how many policeman of all ranks are being convicted of deviant sexual practises and yet there is very little coverage beyond the basic legal report.
It's a bit like slavery in the UK. Daily reports of it being uncovered and no one seems to be particularly bothered.
Discreet Hooker

kk67 wrote:

It's amazing how many policeman of all ranks are being convicted of deviant sexual practises and yet there is very little coverage beyond the basic legal report.
It's a bit like slavery in the UK. Daily reports of it being uncovered and no one seems to be particularly bothered.

A Prison Warder who plays for our club tells us that these guys on conviction are placed in the 3P's section and rarely get bothered . Thats Policemen , Parsons & Puffs .

If someone is going to tell me thats not PC , don't bother .
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Shirley, the poof wants to be in the middle.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

MP

I agree that you cannot label all benefit claimants as lazy etc. My concern is that in areas where there is high dependency on benefits, the obvious abusers undermine the credibility of the genuine.

In this case, where someone is obviously taking the piss, which wouldn't be too difficult to investigate (just keep a log of interview attendances and if they are obviously not trying after sufficient counselling then they get a warning followed by action) and blatantly has no interest in obtaining work, I would be quite happy to remove cash payments for some voucher scheme and to hell with how that affects their self worth.

Equally, when some fecker is off work on disability for decades with a bad back but can lift heavy weights in the gym, before hobbling to the doctors on crutches then they should be prosecuted. I've personally known a number of cases like this or similar which get reported but not investigated. the losers are the taxpayer and the genuine claimants.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Round 'em up and put 'em in the workhouse, I say!
Idle Feck