Willy Duggan

francoisfou

Willy Duggan

Post by francoisfou »

I've just read that one of my all-time rugby heroes, Willy Duggan, has passed away.
He was a mere 67 years old.
Must have come from the same mould as the mighty Moss Keane.
francoisfou

Re: Willy Duggan

Post by francoisfou »

Here's two stories about Willy Duggan that made me smile:

In January 1977, he became, along with Wales' Geoff Wheel, the first player to be sent off in a Five Nations match.[2][4] According to fellow player Moss Keane, Duggan did not consider himself to have been sent off, simply being asked by the referee "would he mind leaving the field", to which he replied "Sure not at all. I was buggered anyway"

He was widely regarded as one of the hard men of world rugby at the time, despite not enjoying training and being a heavy smoker. On one occasion he was smoking a cigarette as he ran onto the pitch to play against France, passing the cigarette to referee Allan Hosie, who was pictured holding the cigarette in the television coverage.[3] Told by a coach that if he gave up the smokes he would be faster around the pitch, he replied "but then I would spend most of the match offside"
SerjeantWildgoose

Re: Willy Duggan

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Sad indeed, Frankie. 67 is no age, but perhaps the fags finally slowed him down to a full-stop.

The Cats are missing one of their giants tonight.

God rest ye, Willie.
Idle Feck