Phil Neville

WaspInWales

Phil Neville

Post by WaspInWales »

First off, I think his appointment as the England women's head coach is ridiculous.

Surely there are more qualified coaches, male and female who would be more suited for the role?

Secondly, he is in a bit of bother about sexist remarks he made on social media a few years ago which has him backtracking and claiming that it doesn't reflect his real feelings etc, etc.

Could this be another amazingly short appointment by the FA?

It also got me thinking, are there teams of people/journalists who spend all day trawling through historic social media comments from people who are currently in the news? When a high profile job/government position etc is filled, it doesn't take long for reports to surface on comments made years ago that have long since been forgotten, or were not an issue back then.

Toby Young
Trump
Most of Trump's picks for positions
Zoella
The other YouTube twat who had to pull out of I'm a Celebrity...
The girl who became the Kent youth Police and Crime commissioner
MPs
canta_brian

Re: Phil Neville

Post by canta_brian »

You would think by now that most big organisations would be able to find someone with a twitter account who could have a quick look at the profile of whoever they were about to employ. I'm not sure teams of journalists are required really.
Digby

Post by Digby »

He's actually a really nice lad, and I'd be confident those tweets don't really represent what he thinks. Talk to him about his mum's, sister's or daughter's achievements and there's nothing there to suggest he's not aware woman can't be hugely successful away from housework, it's just a crap attempt at humour, for which he now gets to squirm a little. And it'd also be worth noting Phil is pathetic in the kitchen himself, to the point that sorting a bowl of cornflakes or a glass of water present a challenge to him
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

I think that this is a prime case of those who are protesting being a little too far up themselves. If anyone really gave a shyte about women's football in England perhaps there'd be more than one team in their association that can attract a weekly audience in excess of 2000.

Frankly if the women's game in England is to develop beyond its family following it needs someone who doesn't subscribe to the sexist conspiracies to grab it by the tits and convince all of those involved that standards are so dismally low that its surprising anyone bothers to watch.
Idle Feck
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I think that this is a prime case of those who are protesting being a little too far up themselves. If anyone really gave a shyte about women's football in England perhaps there'd be more than one team in their association that can attract a weekly audience in excess of 2000.

Frankly if the women's game in England is to develop beyond its family following it needs someone who doesn't subscribe to the sexist conspiracies to grab it by the tits and convince all of those involved that standards are so dismally low that its surprising anyone bothers to watch.
Yeah, but they're doing the same job as the men, so they should be paid the same...

With the amount of women's football on the BBC now, it seems that they have decided that all they need to do is cover it and the crowds will come. A strategy, I would suggest, that does not have legs.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:I think that this is a prime case of those who are protesting being a little too far up themselves. If anyone really gave a shyte about women's football in England perhaps there'd be more than one team in their association that can attract a weekly audience in excess of 2000.

What I find odd is that whenever I see a female pundit they seem to be more sexist than the men, it's the unfortunate case of the majority of footballers being chavs unfortunately.

The BBC thing SOG refers to is purely because they can't afford any sport anymore,The Open Championship and the 6 Nations being among the most notable losses.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Numbers wrote:

What I find odd is that whenever I see a female pundit they seem to be more sexist than the men, it's the unfortunate case of the majority of footballers being chavs unfortunately.

The BBC thing SOG refers to is purely because they can't afford any sport anymore,The Open Championship and the 6 Nations being among the most notable losses.
It’s probably partly that for sure. I still think it’s part of an agenda to push woman’s sport.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Digby wrote:He's actually a really nice lad, and I'd be confident those tweets don't really represent what he thinks. Talk to him about his mum's, sister's or daughter's achievements and there's nothing there to suggest he's not aware woman can't be hugely successful away from housework, it's just a crap attempt at humour, for which he now gets to squirm a little. And it'd also be worth noting Phil is pathetic in the kitchen himself, to the point that sorting a bowl of cornflakes or a glass of water present a challenge to him
No doubt in this case it was just a crap joke which has backfired years later...

That was more my point...well that and the fact that I think it's a poor appointment by the FA. Mediocre player (not that it's relevant...but he was a bit meh), untested manager. Massive kick in the teeth for those who are better qualified.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:
Digby wrote:He's actually a really nice lad, and I'd be confident those tweets don't really represent what he thinks. Talk to him about his mum's, sister's or daughter's achievements and there's nothing there to suggest he's not aware woman can't be hugely successful away from housework, it's just a crap attempt at humour, for which he now gets to squirm a little. And it'd also be worth noting Phil is pathetic in the kitchen himself, to the point that sorting a bowl of cornflakes or a glass of water present a challenge to him
No doubt in this case it was just a crap joke which has backfired years later...

That was more my point...well that and the fact that I think it's a poor appointment by the FA. Mediocre player (not that it's relevant...but he was a bit meh), untested manager. Massive kick in the teeth for those who are better qualified.
The 6 short listed all dropped out- for differing reasons (one had had a relationship with one of the players, a couple felt uncomfortable that Sampson had been dumped against the wishes of a lot of the current squad etc) , but mostly because it looks like a poisoned chalice. So have a read up about the selection . process, it looks like Neville (who actually has done his badges, and has done a lot of coaching) was the only one willing to take it.

(I'll refrain from discussing trial by Twitter- as a public figure, you are ill advised going anywhere near it)
Digby

Post by Digby »

I agree with Wasps it's not hugely relevant, but if we were to consider Phil Neville a mediocre player and that being of relevance it'll be a very small pool of people that future coaches can be drawn from. It'd be like saying Chris Robshaw couldn't consider a future coaching in rugby which seems a little barking
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Digby wrote:I agree with Wasps it's not hugely relevant, but if we were to consider Phil Neville a mediocre player and that being of relevance it'll be a very small pool of people that future coaches can be drawn from. It'd be like saying Chris Robshaw couldn't consider a future coaching in rugby which seems a little barking
That's not at all what I was referring to.

Of course, ability and success as a professional athlete has no bearing on them becoming a successful coach. Completely irrelevant as I mentioned in my post. However, it's reasonable to suggest that a high profile post is filled by an experienced candidate, preferably at that level, rather than someone who has coached one game for the club he co-owns.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Banquo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:

The 6 short listed all dropped out- for differing reasons (one had had a relationship with one of the players, a couple felt uncomfortable that Sampson had been dumped against the wishes of a lot of the current squad etc) , but mostly because it looks like a poisoned chalice. So have a read up about the selection . process, it looks like Neville (who actually has done his badges, and has done a lot of coaching) was the only one willing to take it.

(I'll refrain from discussing trial by Twitter- as a public figure, you are ill advised going anywhere near it)
I don't buy some of Baroness Campbell's comments...which were made after my posts. I also didn't read about the 6 short listed candidates and their reasons for withdrawing before I started the thread. No doubt some candidates may have baulked at the potential pressures and press intrusion, but would it have been any different from any high profile job? I don't think so, and what coach doesn't want to coach at the top level? Maybe there's some people out there with no ambition who may be happy coaching for a modest salary for a club that may be struggling to get by. It's a real opportunity for an existing top women's coach to succeed, and then possibly cross the divide and coach top level men. What a PR masterstroke that would be.

Neville has his badges, but he hasn't really done that much coaching.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, again irrelevant, but I still don't think he is the best qualified for the role. It will be interesting if any of the candidates speak out that they were prepared for all aspects of the job or if they back up Campbell's comments.
SerjeantWildgoose

WaspInWales wrote:... However, it's reasonable to suggest that a high profile post is filled by an experienced candidate, preferably at that level, rather than someone who has coached one game for the club he co-owns.
But by all measures it isn't a high-profile post and no amount of flannel is going to make it one. Having considered 147 potential candidates, you can hardly suggest that they weren't exhaustive. I think they have got the bloke they deserve.
Idle Feck
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:... However, it's reasonable to suggest that a high profile post is filled by an experienced candidate, preferably at that level, rather than someone who has coached one game for the club he co-owns.
But by all measures it isn't a high-profile post and no amount of flannel is going to make it one. I think they have got the bloke they deserve.
Of course it's a high profile job...for women's football. £120,000 per year is not entry level salary.
SerjeantWildgoose

WaspInWales wrote:It's a real opportunity for an existing top women's coach to succeed, and then possibly cross the divide and coach top level men.
Wise up WiW! I'll wager a nut that no matter how hard she is shoved, no woman will be remotely close to competing for a top-level coaching position with a credible football club in my lifetime. The gap is so phenomenally huge - and no matter how the women's game may progress the money being poured into the men's game is such that the gap is growing.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

WaspInWales wrote:
SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
But by all measures it isn't a high-profile post and no amount of flannel is going to make it one. I think they have got the bloke they deserve.
Of course it's a high profile job...for women's football. £120,000 per year is not entry level salary.
Your qualification 'for women's football' so substantially reduces its profile in the wider scheme of things as to prove my point. I agree that the salary is not entry level and not insubstantial - but try getting anyone with real capability for that.
Idle Feck
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:It's a real opportunity for an existing top women's coach to succeed, and then possibly cross the divide and coach top level men.
Wise up WiW! I'll wager a nut that no matter how hard she is shoved, no woman will be remotely close to competing for a top-level coaching position with a credible football club in my lifetime. The gap is so phenomenally huge - and no matter how the women's game may progress the money being poured into the men's game is such that the gap is growing.
I'll take your wager of a nut. I think there's a real chance of it happening. Yes, there is a huge gulf between men and women's football, but it's not as if the woman would be asked to be a player coach is it? If a coach is capable of getting the best out of a team and being successful, then having a vagina shouldn't be a barrier in this day and age.
SerjeantWildgoose

So what do you define as 'top-level men'? A Premiership club, La Liga, or Seria A? The Bundesliga might go for it given that their women can at least compete with other women at the top-level, but even then I'd say the chances are slender. The Yanks, The Chinese, The Japanese? They seem to be the powerhouses of the women's game but hardly up there with the big-guns in the vagina-free leagues.

The point is that there is a vast and global appetite for football, but it is for football played by men. The women's game is always going to be overshadowed by the men's game and while there will be cross-over, it will be a 1-way migration of the mediocre.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

WaspInWales wrote:... having a vagina shouldn't be a barrier in this day and age.
Agreed. Manchester United did OK despite having Dwight Yorke on their playing staff and Chelsea managed perfectly well with Ashley Cole.
Idle Feck
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:

I don't buy some of Baroness Campbell's comments...which were made after my posts. I also didn't read about the 6 short listed candidates and their reasons for withdrawing before I started the thread. No doubt some candidates may have baulked at the potential pressures and press intrusion, but would it have been any different from any high profile job? I don't think so, and what coach doesn't want to coach at the top level? Maybe there's some people out there with no ambition who may be happy coaching for a modest salary for a club that may be struggling to get by. It's a real opportunity for an existing top women's coach to succeed, and then possibly cross the divide and coach top level men. What a PR masterstroke that would be.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, again irrelevant, but I still don't think he is the best qualified for the role. It will be interesting if any of the candidates speak out that they were prepared for all aspects of the job or if they back up Campbell's comments.
All I was saying was before you rush to a judgement on the end game, might be good to get a few source of info before making the call. I know its against all the rules of the internet. Bit like hanging Ben Stokes :)

......and at this particular point in time, with the particular circumstances around this squad, its a brave person, and man especially, who'd take it on tbh. I do think that it is a trickier role than many, simply because of the conditions.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

SerjeantWildgoose wrote:So what do you define as 'top-level men'? A Premiership club, La Liga, or Seria A? The Bundesliga might go for it given that their women can at least compete with other women at the top-level, but even then I'd say the chances are slender. The Yanks, The Chinese, The Japanese? They seem to be the powerhouses of the women's game but hardly up there with the big-guns in the vagina-free leagues.

The point is that there is a vast and global appetite for football, but it is for football played by men. The women's game is always going to be overshadowed by the men's game and while there will be cross-over, it will be a 1-way migration of the mediocre.
I'd say the top domestic leagues (Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1) would satisfy being top level. There is scope for other clubs from other leagues as well.

I take your point about the women's game being overshadowed and I agree entirely. I struggle to watch women's football for more than a few minutes as the quality is woeful. That said, equality and gender issues are changing things so I honestly don't see it as being too far away for a woman to coach a top mens team.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Banquo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote: The 6 short listed all dropped out- for differing reasons (one had had a relationship with one of the players, a couple felt uncomfortable that Sampson had been dumped against the wishes of a lot of the current squad etc) , but mostly because it looks like a poisoned chalice. So have a read up about the selection . process, it looks like Neville (who actually has done his badges, and has done a lot of coaching) was the only one willing to take it.

All I was saying was before you rush to a judgement on the end game, might be good to get a few source of info before making the call. I know its against all the rules of the internet. Bit like hanging Ben Stokes :)

......and at this particular point in time, with the particular circumstances around this squad, its a brave person, and man especially, who'd take it on tbh. I do think that it is a trickier role than many, simply because of the conditions.
Was the information readily available at the time of posting?

Baroness Campbell's comments were posted a couple of days after Neville was appointed.

I can't be expected to trawl through dozens of articles before needing to react to news in an impulsive manner. This is Sparta, I mean this is the internet :lol:

Oh and Ben Stokes is going down. Hanging is too good for him...public crucifixion or they may as well let him off!
SerjeantWildgoose

WaspInWales wrote:I'd say the top domestic leagues (Prem, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1) would satisfy being top level. There is scope for other clubs from other leagues as well.
But many of the clubs in these leagues are owned by gentlemen who, by background, have only recently and reluctantly agreed to allow women to actually drive to a football stadium and go in to watch a game.
Idle Feck
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:

Baroness Campbell's comments were posted a couple of days after Neville was appointed.

I can't be expected to trawl through dozens of articles before needing to react to news in an impulsive manner. This is Sparta, I mean this is the internet :lol:

Oh and Ben Stokes is going down. Hanging is too good for him...public crucifixion or they may as well let him off!
Trial by social media is the new thing isn’t it. Who cares about facts, law and rubbishing reputations when their is personal opinion to be aired and action to demand :D
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote: All I was saying was before you rush to a judgement on the end game, might be good to get a few source of info before making the call. I know its against all the rules of the internet. Bit like hanging Ben Stokes :)

Trial by social media is the new thing isn’t it. Who cares about facts, law and rubbishing reputations when their is personal opinion to be aired and action to demand :D
This.