whisper it quietly....but haven't we won the 6N

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

whisper it quietly....but haven't we won the 6N

Post by Banquo »

Must be worth a bit of a chat, no? Personally, I think its good to see improvements game on game, and a squad that's actually evolving quite quickly. We actually had the semblance of an attacking strategy yesterday....woohoo.

Feeling quite optimistic....ain't that a change!
Mush

Re: whisper it quietly....but haven't we won the 6N

Post by Mush »

More positives than negatives have come out of the tournament from England. That's certainly reason to be optimistic. I'd like to see a little more improvement next week to clinch the slam.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

We should be very pleased.

There's much understandable caution around this team but their development has been significant. Plainly there is more to come but at this stage a 6N's win - and hopefully a GS - is a deserved reward for the progress thats been made.

With a few selection tweaks and greater cohesion that will come with time together, this side will only get better.
Digby

Post by Digby »

We even had the semblance of a different attacking strategy yesterday. Now to see what we do Vs France, when I don't imagine we know what team they'll pick or how they'll play, which probably means Eddie can't spoonfeed the strategy so much.
bitts

Post by bitts »

I know it hasn't been the strongest competition this year, but are we allowed to be as happy about the winning the SN as Scotland are about beating a rubbish France side at home?
Peat

Post by Peat »

Yeah, it's nice. It's nice to see some progress in performances and selection too - probably nicer.

I'll wait for the France game before celebrating. Win convincingly, and I'll be very happy. Stutter to a win through obvious pressure and I'll take it. Throw away the Grand Slam and I'll be a bit miffed.

Hopefully this is the start of something and not another false dawn.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Who'd have thought that employing a top class coach would lead to success.

A 6N win isn't that much to be excited about but a grand slam would be. More importantly, I can only see them getting better.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Congratulations. Obviously the best team in the competition and keeping it simple has really worked for them. Lots of talent in that side too so much more to come I think.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Congrats. Job done for this competition.
thedman

Post by thedman »

I've just been reading a brief article in which it praises EJ's tactical nous;

"They had every team worked out and carried out their coach's game-plan to the letter. England turned opposition strengths into weaknesses - Ireland's lineout and out-halves, Wales' drift defence, Italy's breakdown work - and sucked the life out of them."

Does this make sense? It's beyond my understanding. I have some idea how we beat Wales defence, but what did we do against Ireland and Italy?
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Congratulations. Most consistent team. It's hardly been sparkling but it's been efficient and well thought out which is much better than the rest of us.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Puja

Post by Puja »

bitts wrote:I know it hasn't been the strongest competition this year, but are we allowed to be as happy about the winning the SN as Scotland are about beating a rubbish France side at home?
Arrogance!

Incidentally, we're now up to 5th in the world rankings and any win against France will see us overtake Wales to go 4th. If the RWC draw is to happen this autumn, then we're certainly out of the woods of pot 3 and a win or two in the summer would give us a very decent chance of being top seeded.

Puja
Backist Monk
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Great news.

Hardly a vintage year in terms of quality but there's not much between a few teams on any given day.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

WaspInWales wrote:Great news.

Hardly a vintage year in terms of quality but there's not much between a few teams on any given day.
Winning the close ones is no bad habit! Call it edge or whatever but we've not had it on any sort of consistent basis for 13 years. A GS just gets us part way of course.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:efficient and well thought out .
quite. Sparkling can wait, if at all.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

It feels very odd to be honest.
gthedog

Post by gthedog »

Congratulations. I don't like the hype in the media but I guess that is everywhere.
It's been a long time coming but England have been the best team and deserve to win
No complaints from this welshman