Last film watched

Numbers

Re: Last film watched

Post by Numbers »

The Banshees of Inisherin - I thought this was excellent, if you like explosions and that sort of stuff this isn't for you, however if you like amusing dialogue this is advised viewing. It's directed by Martin McDonagh who did In Bruges and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, it's on Disney+.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. Favourite film I saw last year by a long way I think. Definitely very funny but incredibly bleak at the same time.

Quite a few disappointing ones this year that were massively hyped up (namely everything everywhere) but this was fantastic. I'm so glad I saw it on a big screen mainly for the big, sweeping landscape shots, but will definitely watch this again at home if I can find it. I didn't think 7 psychopaths was good and 3 billboards didn't quite click for me, despite having a lot to like, but I think this one is even better than In Bruges.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:27 pm The Banshees of Inisherin - I thought this was excellent, if you like explosions and that sort of stuff this isn't for you, however if you like amusing dialogue this is advised viewing. It's directed by Martin McDonagh who did In Bruges and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, it's on Disney+.
Yeah, it's good. I kept thinking of Father Ted though - I think this film shows what happens when you're slightly closer to the mainland than Craggy Island: mad stuff but more serious.
Son of Mathonwy

Halfway between horror and comedy, The Menu is a joy.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Hard disagree here on "Banshees of Inishirrin". Shit and completely self-indulgent. Some of the dialogue was quite funny, but overall a terrible film that is massively up its own arse. Sorry!

Could say the same about Wakanda Forever.

Bizarrely, as I'm not a fan of Jonah Hill usually, watched You People last weekend and thought it was pretty good, if a little clunky at the end.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Barbarian - very entertaining horror

Not going to even bother with banshees - can't stand McDonaghs stuff
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

RRR is a howl for a bit of action and a dance off
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I watched All That Breathes last night, enjoyable, it's a documentary about some brothers who rescue and tend to Black Kites in Delhi, it's quite charming.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Donny osmond wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:04 pm Hard disagree here on "Banshees of Inishirrin". Shit and completely self-indulgent. Some of the dialogue was quite funny, but overall a terrible film that is massively up its own arse. Sorry!
You just like… don’t get it or whatever.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:52 am
Donny osmond wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:04 pm Hard disagree here on "Banshees of Inishirrin". Shit and completely self-indulgent. Some of the dialogue was quite funny, but overall a terrible film that is massively up its own arse. Sorry!
You just like… don’t get it or whatever.
:D it would be fair to say I didn't get it
Son of Mathonwy

Triangle of Sadness is good. I think it could have been excellent but it falls short due to uneven pacing and general randomness.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:08 pm Triangle of Sadness is good. I think it could have been excellent but it falls short due to uneven pacing and general randomness.
Failed to stick the landing for me.
► Show Spoiler
The rest of the film was good, but not good enough to earn forgiveness for that.
Son of Mathonwy

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:08 pm Triangle of Sadness is good. I think it could have been excellent but it falls short due to uneven pacing and general randomness.
► Show Spoiler
The rest of the film was good, but not good enough to earn forgiveness for that.
All true, and plenty of unbelievable things on ship before then, really. I think I was taking it more as a slightly surreal satire for that to completely ruin it for me.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:42 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 pm
► Show Spoiler
All true, and plenty of unbelievable things on ship before then, really. I think I was taking it more as a slightly surreal satire for that to completely ruin it for me.
I liked it, can forgive the flaws but they should have made a 5 star film
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Be interested what ye think of cailin ciuin and aftersun if ye get round to them

Didn't think we learned enough about mescals character in aftersun. I did like that the dialogue was actually how people talk rather than being very written
cashead

Post by cashead »

Got round to watching the new Hellraiser, with Jamie Clayton as the Priest (better known as Pinhead).

Very much a love it or hate it affair, and a bit of a departure from The Hellbound Heart, but honestly, I'd argue that it's a more proficiently made film than the 1987 original - a film that Clive Barker, who directed it himself, has referred to as an "uneven" film.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Son of Mathonwy

cashead wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:32 pm Got round to watching the new Hellraiser, with Jamie Clayton as the Priest (better known as Pinhead).

Very much a love it or hate it affair, and a bit of a departure from The Hellbound Heart, but honestly, I'd argue that it's a more proficiently made film than the 1987 original - a film that Clive Barker, who directed it himself, has referred to as an "uneven" film.
It could have been better but given the straight-to-video dross we've had since Hellraiser 3*, it's a massive return to form. It may be a bit short but it's a solid horror film with decent actors, script and effects - so maybe, just maybe, can get this story/universe going again. It's definitely more proficiently made than the original, but given the low budget and post-production butchery that suffered from, I guess that's not too surprising!

Clayton's Pinhead was a bit forgettable - more like the Cenobites' spokesperson than their leader - although she did her best. A bit miscast really. As a reboot, the film changed the mythology a little and added some detail - which was all fine. The new rules about the box were interesting and made reasonable sense. My favourite of the films was the imaginative Hellraiser II, so it was nice to see a bit of creativity.

* OK I confess I haven't seen any of the many sequels after 4, so I may have missed an unexpected gem amongst them.
Son of Mathonwy

paddy no 11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:56 pm Be interested what ye think of cailin ciuin and aftersun if ye get round to them

Didn't think we learned enough about mescals character in aftersun. I did like that the dialogue was actually how people talk rather than being very written
I've just watched Aftersun. It's good - a serious, worthy film, and is very realistic with good, natural performances from the leads. It's probably not quite my kind of thing - it's very low-key and slow, often mundane. And, as you say . . .
► Show Spoiler
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Yup, feel the same as you. The conclusion you came to is definitely right which is why I'd like to better understand him and his relationship with partner, it hints but doesn't give enough
Son of Mathonwy

Infinity Pool is worth watching if you're into weird, trippy, arty horror. Brandon Cronenberg is a little more subtle than his dad and has made a film with echoes of Christopher Priest's The Affirmation and Priest's work in general.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:32 am Infinity Pool is worth watching if you're into weird, trippy, arty horror. Brandon Cronenberg is a little more subtle than his dad and has made a film with echoes of Christopher Priest's The Affirmation and Priest's work in general.
Yeah was definitely an odd one. Some really fantastic moments and the general style and atmosphere was great. I’m unsure how cohesive it was as a whole and some particular character motivations baffled me.
► Show Spoiler
Definitely an experience though.

Surge - I really enjoyed this. It follows a man on the verge of a mental breakdown and is a bit of a difficult watch both in terms of visual style (intense shaky cam) and the awkwardness of his interactions. I found it really rewarding and bizarrely funny though. Incredible lead performance from Ben Wishaw, whom I don’t think I’ve actually seen before. On iplayer at the moment too.

Queen and Slim - some really great moments, great lead performances and generally a fun/cool vibe to it, but the weight of the story/themes it was covering really got lost. I feel like this could have been very good but didn’t really land the crucial punches.

Worth a watch (on iplayer too) if you don’t want to take it too seriously, but that feels like a very odd thing to say about a film focused on US race relations and police brutality.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:44 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:32 am Infinity Pool is worth watching if you're into weird, trippy, arty horror. Brandon Cronenberg is a little more subtle than his dad and has made a film with echoes of Christopher Priest's The Affirmation and Priest's work in general.
Yeah was definitely an odd one. Some really fantastic moments and the general style and atmosphere was great. I’m unsure how cohesive it was as a whole and some particular character motivations baffled me.
► Show Spoiler

Surge - I really enjoyed this. It follows a man on the verge of a mental breakdown and is a bit of a difficult watch both in terms of visual style (intense shaky cam) and the awkwardness of his interactions. I found it really rewarding and bizarrely funny though. Incredible lead performance from Ben Wishaw, whom I don’t think I’ve actually seen before. On iplayer at the moment too.

Queen and Slim - some really great moments, great lead performances and generally a fun/cool vibe to it, but the weight of the story/themes it was covering really got lost. I feel like this could have been very good but didn’t really land the crucial punches.

Worth a watch (on iplayer too) if you don’t want to take it too seriously, but that feels like a very odd thing to say about a film focused on US race relations and police brutality.
Yeah, I saw that when it came out, quite a departure from James Bond's Q and the Paddington films for Wishaw.
Son of Mathonwy

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:44 pm
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Possessor is another one to watch by Brandon Cronenberg.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That does actually make a huge amount more sense.