Leicester vs Gloucester

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Leicester vs Gloucester

Post by Puja »

Leicester Tigers: Veainu; Thompstone, Betham, Tuilagi, Goneva; Williams, B Youngs; Mulipola, Thacker, Cole, Barrow, Kitchener, Croft, McCafferty, Slater (capt).

Replacements: Bateman, Ayerza, Balmain, de Chaves, O'Connor, Harrison, Burns, Tait.

Gloucester: Marshall; Cook, Trinder, Atkinson, McColl; Hook, Laidlaw (capt); McAllister, Dawidiuk, Doran-Jones; Savage, Galarza; Evans, Kvesic, Morgan.

Replacements: Cole, Thomas, Afoa, Stooke, Ludlow, Braley, Thorley, Rowan

Thank all the gods that we've finally dropped Bell. He's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I don't understand quite why we'd have Veainu on the bench and Bell starting. If we were giving Veainu a rest to make sure he's not burned out, then I'd rather we'd done it properly and not included him in the XXIII at all. If it was just tactical, then it was barking.

Good to see O'Connor and Morgan back on either side. Anyone know whether JDV is actually planning on playing for us this season, or is one appearance all we're going to get out of him?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Re: Leicester vs Gloucester

Post by Mellsblue »

I think it was due to rest. Sure I read somewhere that he has never played this many games in a season. Have a look on wiki and you'll understand the need to rest him.

Good to see Atkinson finally and belatedly make an attempt to make my prediction of him being the breakthrough player of the year not be quite so laughable.
scotinglos

Post by scotinglos »

Another hard day at the office for Glaws I fear. Tigers are tough enough opposition at Welford Road normally. Give them a game that they simply have to win to have a chance of satisfying top 4 aspirations and there can only be one outcome.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Mellsblue wrote: Good to see Atkinson finally and belatedly make an attempt to make my prediction of him being the breakthrough player of the year not be quite so laughable.
I thought he might make a bit more of an impression. Him and Trinder look, on paper at least, quite a handy combination.

Morgan back at a good time to make a case for the Oz tour. He's had a dreadful season but might be able to finish with a bit of a flourish.

Hard to see past a pretty comfortable Tigers win.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

McCafferty fails late fitness test and is replaced in the starting lineup by 19 year old Will Evans who makes his debut.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Nice little pass from Manu in the build up to the try. Could easily just have gone for contact.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Very nice for the 2nd try. Seems that Leicester are actually capable of playing nice rugby when it's not sheeting it down in a gale.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Fun game so far, back and forth.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Only bright side for Tigers is Will Evans @ 7
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Tigersman wrote:Only bright side for Tigers is Will Evans @ 7
Went off like a train, but seem to have completely switched off since they got the second try. Forward carriers have been a bit powder puff and the defensive line is a bit all over the shop.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

England waiting for a 7 for the last 10 years nearly

Now have
Kvesic
Harrison
Underhill
And now Evans
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Tigersman wrote:England waiting for a 7 for the last 10 years nearly

Now have
Kvesic
Harrison
Underhill
And now Evans
Fraser was pretty good last night.

Oh and you've missed the Hask.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

well apart from a great match from Betham and a decent effort from Tuilag and others! Youngs was pretty poor again I thought.

Enjoyable match.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

Banquo wrote:
well apart from a great match from Betham and a decent effort from Tuilag and others! Youngs was pretty poor again I thought.

Enjoyable match.

Look at the time. At the time of posting that Leicester looked beaten.

Betham and Manu are looking like a great pair.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Tigersman wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Enjoyable match.

Look at the time. At the time of posting that Leicester looked beaten.

Betham and Manu are looking like a great pair.
not really, Glaws had a couple of breakaway tries, Tigers always looked a bit stronger. Cockers has some nice problems to solve in the backs now- all of Betham, Tuilagi, Goneva, Tait and Veainu look very sharp- get Burns back and Youngs stop slowing every attack down and it will be nice to watch.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Is that 32 tries in 4 matches today?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Enjoyed that. Some good play from both sides. Glaws a lot better than I expected. Thought Morgan showed up well and Kvesic was very industrious.

Tigers turned it around very well in the 2nd half. Manu is looking in good form, making a number of crucial interventions. Youngs sub u15 level passing was highlighted by Harrisons cameo where every pass was accurate and quick, and not preceded by gazing at the ball before deciding to do something with it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Enjoyed that. Some good play from both sides. Glaws a lot better than I expected. Thought Morgan showed up well and Kvesic was very industrious.

Tigers turned it around very well in the 2nd half. Manu is looking in good form, making a number of crucial interventions. Youngs sub u15 level passing was highlighted by Harrisons cameo where every pass was accurate and quick, and not preceded by gazing at the ball before deciding to do something with it.
lol- very good on Youngs, that's exactly right.

Really wish Croft would just play like a normal flanker, his lineout is superb and when he gets involved is still class. Manu looks to be getting into great form. Lots of good things from EQP's in the game all round (bar one or one exception); Atkinson looked promising I thought, and the Evans lad.
scotinglos

Post by scotinglos »

Really disappointed with the offiicating of Tiger's winning score. A Glaws player clearly held in the air without possession but juggling which was subsequently turned over and Tigers went the length of the field. It's obstruction and clearly a penalty. Doyle is better than that and either bottled it or missed it...if the latter, should have gone to Specsavers, 'cos it was as clear as day.

That's not to say of course that Tiger's might not have scored off the next play but they certainly should not have been allowed to score off that one.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Enjoyed that. Some good play from both sides. Glaws a lot better than I expected. Thought Morgan showed up well and Kvesic was very industrious.

lol- very good on Youngs, that's exactly right.

Atkinson looked promising I thought
Breakthrough player of the season if you ask me!!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

WaspInWales wrote:Is that 32 tries in 4 matches today?
15 in Bedford v Pirates!!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

scotinglos wrote:Really disappointed with the offiicating of Tiger's winning score. A Glaws player clearly held in the air without possession but juggling which was subsequently turned over and Tigers went the length of the field. It's obstruction and clearly a penalty. Doyle is better than that and either bottled it or missed it...if the latter, should have gone to Specsavers, 'cos it was as clear as day.

That's not to say of course that Tiger's might not have scored off the next play but they certainly should not have been allowed to score off that one.
they discussed it on air, and concluded that juggling the ball was the same as being in possession....is that correct?
Epaminondas Pules

scotinglos wrote:Really disappointed with the offiicating of Tiger's winning score. A Glaws player clearly held in the air without possession but juggling which was subsequently turned over and Tigers went the length of the field. It's obstruction and clearly a penalty. Doyle is better than that and either bottled it or missed it...if the latter, should have gone to Specsavers, 'cos it was as clear as day.

The moment you touch the ball you are fair game and deemed initially to be in control. Even Humphreys admitted so after the game.
Epaminondas Pules

Banquo wrote:

they discussed it on air, and concluded that juggling the ball was the same as being in possession....is that correct?
Yes, the moment to make contact you are in possession.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Tim Stimpson was denied a try against SA in very similar circumstances if I recall correctly.