Old Rug

Moderator: OptimisticJock

whatisthejava

Old Rug

Post by whatisthejava »

So what do we reckon Edinburgh to beat the weeg like an old rug ?

No Naka, no Hogg, no Russell and Jones at 15

I presume Edinburhgs just going to put the ton on them
Mikey Brown

Re: Old Rug

Post by Mikey Brown »

Huw Jones at 15? At least share the teams if you’ve got them.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I always thought the phrase was “ginger stepchild”.

Anyway, I think Edinburgh will do it, but think glasgow will make them work for it.

Wayyyy off topic, but does anyone know if de Allende and Snyman are playing the remaining games for Ulster?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:I always thought the phrase was “ginger stepchild”.

Anyway, I think Edinburgh will do it, but think glasgow will make them work for it.

Wayyyy off topic, but does anyone know if de Allende and Snyman are playing the remaining games for Ulster?
definitely not.

Might turn out for Munster though
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Huw Jones at 15? At least share the teams if you’ve got them.
loads of speculation abouy Jones at FB. Couple pf usually reliable journos also suggesting that. Think its right. teams at lunchtime today as usual I think
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Huw Jones at 15? At least share the teams if you’ve got them.
loads of speculation abouy Jones at FB. Couple pf usually reliable journos also suggesting that. Think its right. teams at lunchtime today as usual I think
Hasn't McDowell played there at age groups? Would have thought that he or Bryce would be more obvious options. Still it's a meaningless pre-season game for Glasgow so there's no better time to try it.

Toolis out for Edinburgh. Hopefully time for one of the young locks (Carmichael) to step up.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:

Toolis out for Edinburgh. Hopefully time for one of the young locks (Carmichael) to step up.
Edin have plenty in reserve in the second row, but agree will be interesting to see who Cockerill picks to start. His default is experience, 2nd default option is experience.

Carmichael or McKenzie to partner Gilchrist, the other to bench. Carmichael has had a couple of bad injuries but he is 25 now and I don't consider him one of the "young locks" any more. He should be established by this stage and but for those injuries might well have been, but he needs to be demanding starts every week on form. If Cockerill doesn't start with him while Toolis is out, he's in imminent danger of becoming another nearly man
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

and Carmichael and Mckenzie both out injured. Davidson starts, Hodgson benches. Jones at 15 for the Weegies
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Wow. You guys weren’t joking.

Glasgow Warriors (to play Edinburgh on Saturday, 5.15pm kick-off): Huw Jones; Tommy Seymour, Nick Grigg, Pete Horne, Ratu Tagive; Adam Hastings, Ali Price; Oli Kebble, Fraser Brown©, Zander Fagerson, Richie Gray, Scott Cummings, Rob Harley, Matt Fagerson, Ryan Wilson.

Subs: George Turner, Dylan Evans (on loan from Scarlets), D’Arcy Rae, Kiran McDonald, Tom Gordon, George Horne, Niko Matawalu, Glenn Bryce.

With Seymour being quite a good 15 and Jones playing on the wing a lot in SA it does seem odd. Particularly with Bryce and Matawalu on the bench. Hopefully Tagive has shown something.

Fagerson at 7 (for the first time since age grade?) is interesting too.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

That's an extensive injury list given how long it's been since any games were played. Feel like there's a Matt Scott shaped hole in midfield, we're evidently weaker there without him and a distinct lack of back 3 cover. VDW to 15 and Chamberlain on in the case of injuries?

15. Blair Kinghorn (87)

14. Eroni Sau (10)

13. Mark Bennett (36)

12. Chris Dean (88)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (57)

10. Jaco van der Walt (55)

9. Nic Groom (11)

1. Rory Sutherland (81)

2. Stuart McInally (142) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (139)

4. Andrew Davidson*

5. Grant Gilchrist (148)

6. Luke Crosbie (39)

7. Hamish Watson (107)

8. Viliame Mata (71)

Replacements: 16. Mike Willemse (18) 17. Pierre Schoeman (40) 18. Simon Berghan (78) 19. Jamie Hodgson (6) 20. Nick Haining (11) 21. Charlie Shiel (16) 22. Nathan Chamberlain* 23. George Taylor (20)

Unavailable due to injury: Lewis Carmichael, Fraser McKenzie, Ben Toolis, Jamie Ritchie, Henry Pyrgos, Magnus Bradbury, Darcy Graham
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Thought Taylor may have taken that 12 spot. Interesting to see how Schoeman vs Sutherland goes this season, now he’s basically established himself as first choice for Scotland without previously being first choice at his club.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

septic 9 wrote:
General Zod wrote:I always thought the phrase was “ginger stepchild”.

definitely not.

Might turn out for Munster though

Haha - I meant them! 5/1 for the title.

I could even see Edinburgh playing them in the final and beating them this time. Would be good to create another rivalry after Edinburgh got close last time they were in the knockouts over there.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Edinburgh wont be beating anyone like an old rug with that backline.

Pony.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The way Wilson clutched his shoulder when he went down then was not encouraging. His shoulder is just totally destroyed right?

Weird game, but I guess it was always going to be.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I know I'm talking to myself but would really like to see Taylor.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

But of an uninspiring game without being particularly bad. Glasgow missing that spark they used to have - just struggle to play with the same pace. Preseason game for them though and tough up against a better pack.

Thought Jones looked comfortable at full back and like he could be dangerous there. Feels wierd to me though to have him there while the centre partnership is clearly missing something. I'd love them to give him and McDowall an extended shot.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Thought that was pretty ropey from Edinburgh whilst still managing to win the game. Dean/Bennett just doesn't work for me as a midfield as our threats are in the back 3 but the ball never gets there. We'd be better with an extra distributor but we don't have one in the squad.

Credit to Glasgow for a decent first half in a game with nothing to play for
Big D

Post by Big D »

Bit of a preseason feel.

Wouldn't be too critical of either side.

I wouldn't be so sure about nothing to play for. There are international matches coming up and plenty should be targeting a place in the squad.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Edinburgh likely to go with Hodgson and Sykes in the second row at the weekend. Will be a good test.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Haining at second row sort of makes sense I guess.

Who is Matt Gordon on the bench?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Same team for Glasgow except Horne for Price and Gordon in for Harley, with Fagerson/Wilson shifting across. Never really saw Jones tested down I guess that makes sense.

septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

lots of folk hoping but not expecting Cockerill to give Shields or Chamberlain a start. No-one expecting both.

Both look huge talents but in Chamberlain's case its still very much potential. Its now Cockerill should be wishing he had given Shiel more starts/game time these last 2 seasons, rather than throwing both in at the same time, and with an academy scrum half on the bench. It could go very well, then again it might end up looking like they have both been hung out to dry. All down to Cockerill's previous ultra safe selections and mess up (culpable or not culpable) of stand off recruitment.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:lots of folk hoping but not expecting Cockerill to give Shields or Chamberlain a start. No-one expecting both.

Both look huge talents but in Chamberlain's case its still very much potential. Its now Cockerill should be wishing he had given Shiel more starts/game time these last 2 seasons, rather than throwing both in at the same time, and with an academy scrum half on the bench. It could go very well, then again it might end up looking like they have both been hung out to dry. All down to Cockerill's previous ultra safe selections and mess up (culpable or not culpable) of stand off recruitment.
I've been wanting to see Shiel get some starts for a while, and at 23 it's time that he moved beyond third choice, but I'm not sure that this is evidence that he is going to do so. It's a nothing game with qualification already secured.

Cockers is being conservative in the second row too, bit I can see why a Sykes/Hodgson pairing might be too risky. Has McKenzie retired now?

MB, Matt Gordon is an Aussie centre that was signed over the summer from London Scottish. Will be his first appearance. I guess Johnstone is back three cover.
Last edited by switchskier on Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mikey Brown wrote:Same team for Glasgow except Horne for Price and Gordon in for Harley, with Fagerson/Wilson shifting across. Never really saw Jones tested down I guess that makes sense.

Thought that they might experiment a bit more. No Smith or McLean is disappointing. Capps on the bench though.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Exciting looking Edinburgh lineup and that Glasgow backrow and centre partnership makes a bit more sense.

Meaningless game but will be very interested to see it.

Shiel has to see himself as a legitimate starter, not someone being given a bit of experience. If he is not clear second choice by the end of the season, either he should leave for more game time or he is just not as good as I think he is.