Not a bad innings
Banquo

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Banquo »

Helluva life.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Condolences to the immediate family, but seriously the death of a 99 year old man, who has done nothing off his own bat to merit lasting fame, should not be global news under any rational system of politics.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

RIP. He's been a constant for a very long time whilst many other
Billy(-ie) Big-Shots have passed through (though not his fault.)
Seemed like a happy couple, and will have had some pride in parts of his family.
Big D

Post by Big D »

A man who was an excellent naval officer but all accounts, served and lead during the war and had the foresight to found the DofE award along with John Hunt in the 50's which has had over 8million kids around the world take part.

Reaching 99, 73 years of marriage, and all years of public service (plenty charities etc would have benefitted from his time) is a great knock even in the privileged life he would have lead.
morepork

Post by morepork »

He will be a real loss to casual racism the world over.
Stom

Post by Stom »

I actually kinda liked Phil.

But I think Harry and Meghan's comments said it all...

Someone in the royal family was racist.

Then they had to come out and say: No, it wasn't Phillip. Because he was exactly who we were all thinking of. Lol.

An absolute dinosaur. But let's not forget he did actually do some good things, like the DoE award. And his hanging onto life was quite something.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Fitting period in which to die given he is quoted as saying "If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels."

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Big D wrote:A man who was an excellent naval officer but all accounts, served and lead during the war and had the foresight to found the DofE award along with John Hunt in the 50's which has had over 8million kids around the world take part.

Reaching 99, 73 years of marriage, and all years of public service (plenty charities etc would have benefitted from his time) is a great knock even in the privileged life he would have lead.
He supported over 800 charities and of course DoE is now huge. If you dislike monarchy then of course you will say so what. But he did achieve a fair bit despite having to play the silent partner to a large degree. In the same way that the US First Lady can achieve some good stuff, so too could he.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Meh. LeBron James built a school. Phil was a name and a title. Lending those to charity is easy. I'd be more interested in how he has confronted the sexual appetites of people in his orbit, including his own son.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

That's sad, if he'd made it to the ton he could have got a letter from the queen.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Zhivago wrote:Fitting period in which to die given he is quoted as saying "If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels."
Lovely sentiment.

Also, how can a father of four complain about overpopulation? I guess he was worried about overpopulation by the wrong sort.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:Meh. LeBron James built a school. Phil was a name and a title. Lending those to charity is easy. I'd be more interested in how he has confronted the sexual appetites of people in his orbit, including his own son.
He was of his generation. Sexual and racial attitudes were different in his formative years.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Zhivago wrote:Fitting period in which to die given he is quoted as saying "If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to Earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels."
Lovely sentiment.

Also, how can a father of four complain about overpopulation? I guess he was worried about overpopulation by the wrong sort.
His eldest child is 57, by all accounts the DoE became well read on environmental issues. People change their minds on matters often once understanding the whole picture.

The way he voiced concerns in that statement was ill judged but it is perfectly reasonable to change his opinion.
Son of Mathonwy

Big D wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Lovely sentiment.

His eldest child is 57, by all accounts the DoE became well read on environmental issues. People change their minds on matters often once understanding the whole picture.

The way he voiced concerns in that statement was ill judged but it is perfectly reasonable to change his opinion.
Did he change his opinion?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Big D wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Lovely sentiment.

No idea. I doubt anyone will know for sure. I probably should have added "would be" rather than "it is" in the last paragraph.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Sandydragon wrote:
morepork wrote:Meh. LeBron James built a school. Phil was a name and a title. Lending those to charity is easy. I'd be more interested in how he has confronted the sexual appetites of people in his orbit, including his own son.
He was of his generation. Sexual and racial attitudes were different in his formative years.
different, I can assume equals wrong here. If you want a poster child for institutional racism and misogyny you could do worse than the patriarch of an hereditary line of privilege to fly the flag. Sorry for your loss royal family but, fuck. A medieval platitude to a dinosaur in this day and age doesn’t cut the mustard.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

I'll take my lead from reading tributes paid by those who actually knew him and his achievements, not by rebellers and others who want to make themselves look all-wise by sounding off about a man, in a set of circumstances, they know almost nothing about.

By any account, an extraordinary life. Even given his position of great privilege, he achieved an extraordinary amount. He used his privilege for the betterment of many less fortunate then himself, and thus stands head and shoulders above most of us.

FTAOD if we had a referendum on the monarchy, I'd vote for a republic.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
Son of Mathonwy

Big D wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Big D wrote: His eldest child is 57, by all accounts the DoE became well read on environmental issues. People change their minds on matters often once understanding the whole picture.

No idea. I doubt anyone will know for sure. I probably should have added "would be" rather than "it is" in the last paragraph.
Right, well since we have no reason to think he changed his opinion on this matter my point stands that the size of his family is remarkably at odds with his view on overpopulation.
Son of Mathonwy

Donny osmond wrote:I'll take my lead from reading tributes paid by those who actually knew him and his achievements, not by rebellers and others who want to make themselves look all-wise by sounding off about a man, in a set of circumstances, they know almost nothing about.

By any account, an extraordinary life. Even given his position of great privilege, he achieved an extraordinary amount. He used his privilege for the betterment of many less fortunate then himself, and thus stands head and shoulders above most of us.

Extraordinarily privileged. What he achieved for others was unremarkable considering his wealth and status.

You may think he stands head and shoulders above you, but keep the rest of us out of it.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Donny osmond »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:I'll take my lead from reading tributes paid by those who actually knew him and his achievements, not by rebellers and others who want to make themselves look all-wise by sounding off about a man, in a set of circumstances, they know almost nothing about.

Extraordinarily privileged. What he achieved for others was unremarkable considering his wealth and status.

You may think he stands head and shoulders above you, but keep the rest of us out of it.
... rebellers and others who want to make themselves look all-wise by sounding off about a man, in a set of circumstances, they know almost nothing about.
morepork

Re: RE: Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by morepork »

Donny osmond wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:

... rebellers and others who want to make themselves look all-wise by sounding off about a man, in a set of circumstances, they know almost nothing about.
I’ll take that critique. I have no personal experience in benefiting from hereditary privileges but I’m for damn sure certain I have more experience on the ground seeing those privileges ride rough shod over those that have not. Did Phil ever take issue with stop and frisk policies, or even voice support for those women that were shut down by the Met when protesting women’s right to not being preyed on? Again, commiserations to the family, but if someone like Phil is your idea of a role model, then I suggest you get back in your time machine and soak up the 1950’s making sure you don’t get a tan that would exclude you from country club membership.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Donny osmond »

morepork wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Extraordinarily privileged. What he achieved for others was unremarkable considering his wealth and status.

I’ll take that critique. I have no personal experience in benefiting from hereditary privileges but I’m for damn sure certain I have more experience on the ground seeing those privileges ride rough shod over those that have not. Did Phil ever take issue with stop and frisk policies, or even voice support for those women that were shut down by the Met when protesting women’s right to not being preyed on? Again, commiserations to the family, but if someone like Phil is your idea of a role model, then I suggest you get back in your time machine and soak up the 1950’s making sure you don’t get a tan that would exclude you from country club membership.
I'm not arguing he was perfect by any means, but the fact that he didn't take a stand on every single issue that was popular in his 70+ years as a public figure I personally won't be holding against him.

My last on this thread... a story from an African American White House employee, one of many many such stories that have come to light since his death...

Zhivago

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Post by Zhivago »

Donny osmond wrote:
morepork wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:
I'm not arguing he was perfect by any means, but the fact that he didn't take a stand on every single issue that was popular in his 70+ years as a public figure I personally won't be holding against him.

My last on this thread... a story from an African American White House employee, one of many many such stories that have come to light since his death...

Treating other human beings with respect is surely a basic standard we expect of everyone. Not newsworthy.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

morepork

Post by morepork »

Still a dodgy fucker.