Euro 2020 Finals

Galfon

Euro 2020 Finals

Post by Galfon »

A year late but here all the same.
Southgate has named his final 26 and goes for 4 right-backs, and just 2 centre-forwards, including Kane.
The midfield looks a bit lightweight and could get mullered if matches are allowed to descend to a scrap, imo.
At least the home advantage should bring some advantage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57321188
Puja

Re: Euro 2020 Finals

Post by Puja »

I'm so low on football knowledge that I still set up my Football Manager teams to play 4-4-2, but aren't the likes of Rashford, Sterling, and Calvert-Lewis all very competent forwards?

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

The game has evolved and is alot more fluid now - would not profess to be an expert, but yes all the fowards are good players.
There are many games where a big target man / holding player will be a plus - he has Kane & DCL, but unlikely to play both.
By ignoring Bamford & leaving Watkins out S'gate clearly fancies
his pacier options.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote:I'm so low on football knowledge that I still set up my Football Manager teams to play 4-4-2, but aren't the likes of Rashford, Sterling, and Calvert-Lewis all very competent forwards?

Puja
Southgate won't play Sterling up top, and he wouldn't want to have to rely on Rashford there. It'll be Kane every game unless we're already qualified, when he'll be rested for DCL.

The issue is in central midfield, as Southgate likes a double pivot and Henderson is injured, while Bellingham is 17... So that's every game for Rice and Phillips.

Saying that, England have a good team.

In other news, my team, Brentford, got promoted to the Premier League :D And we've got several players playing in the Euros, which is incredible.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Comfortable start by Ita on home soil.
Now unbeaten in 28 so hats off to Mancini.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Fuck. Christian Erikson does not sound good :( I hope he’s ok.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Thank God.

WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Stom wrote:Fuck. Christian Erikson does not sound good :( I hope he’s ok.
It didn't look good either.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Stom wrote:Thank God.

Such a relief and well done to all involved. Must be the kind of moment no physio/doctor wants to experience on a sports field but it doesn't bear thinking about how things could turn out without their expertise.

Hoping he makes a full recovery.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

uefa:
'Following the medical emergency involving Denmark’s player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET. The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.'
horrendous situation. hope he comes through ok.
u/d: bit surprised the players voted to re-start - the news reaching them must have been reassuring; Den should have put it to bed but getting humbled by the Finns capped it not very nicely.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

It's coming home, back home, this time - more than any other time.
Should get out the group stage now in any case. :|
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Great play Bale, mugged off the Turkish defence from short corners twice in as many minutes..
Great win. :) not easy place to play.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Galfon wrote:Great play Bale, mugged off the Turkish defence from short corners twice in as many minutes..
Great win. :) not easy place to play.
But the penalty miss could have been costly

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Not reassuring when your best player is the goalie and your star player and skipper gets subd. 2 matches running..
The midfield did get turned over.
Scotland still have a chance to progress.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Draw felt fair. Two quite similar teams with their best players in midfield, relying a lot on fullbacks for width and no strikers. Gilmour was brilliant. Him and Mount should have a long partnership for Chelsea
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

England too scared of losing
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:England too scared of losing
Yep.

Terrible from Southgate
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Yep.

Terrible from Southgate
more inclined to hold the players to account, though James was a poor selection and Foden a poor substitution; Kane is unfit and who knows what goes on in Sterlings head. They were very lethargic, irrespective of who was picked.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote: more inclined to hold the players to account, though James was a poor selection and Foden a poor substitution; Kane is unfit and who knows what goes on in Sterlings head. They were very lethargic, irrespective of who was picked.
I hope they go for a win last game and get the home fixture in last 16, irrespective of the opponents A draw would see Cze/Eng through.
Walker/Trippier did ok for us in the last WC, have won champs. this year and can both cross a ball - prefer them back if fit.
Sterling's a nightmare for defenders in or near the box on the front foot, but pointless being on if he drops back and starts wandering around.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:
Banquo wrote: more inclined to hold the players to account, though James was a poor selection and Foden a poor substitution; Kane is unfit and who knows what goes on in Sterlings head. They were very lethargic, irrespective of who was picked.
I hope they go for a win last game and get the home fixture in last 16, irrespective of the opponents A draw would see Cze/Eng through.
Walker/Trippier did ok for us in the last WC, have won champs. this year and can both cross a ball - prefer them back if fit.
Sterling's a nightmare for defenders in or near the box on the front foot, but pointless being on if he drops back and starts wandering around.
I like Trippier a lot, and imo he’s the best right back in the squad, and he’s excellent with set piece delivery.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Yep.

Terrible from Southgate
more inclined to hold the players to account, though James was a poor selection and Foden a poor substitution; Kane is unfit and who knows what goes on in Sterlings head. They were very lethargic, irrespective of who was picked.
But he’s paid good money to understand what’s going on in a game… And when it is obvious the Scots didn’t like players running at them, why not bring on more players who run directly? Like Sancho or Bellingham. That’s down to him and his inability to change for fear of losing.

All fear of losing does is lose you matches.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Yep.

Terrible from Southgate
But he’s paid good money to understand what’s going on in a game… And when it is obvious the Scots didn’t like players running at them, why not bring on more players who run directly? Like Sancho or Bellingham. That’s down to him and his inability to change for fear of losing.

All fear of losing does is lose you matches.
Oh yes, just saying pointing the finger at Southgate alone doesn't quite do what happened justice. Everyone lobs their favourite players into the mix....for every Sancho and the callow Bellingham, there is someone saying Grealish and Rashford (who he did bring on). I don't imagine he's telling Rice and Phullips to be so lethargic (and who got showered in praise last time out), nor Reece James to play like a donkey (nor Kyle Walker in the previous game). Southgate indeed garnered much praise for the previous game. Personally, I think the young players froze a bit, and the experienced players- that's you Kane and Sterling, are looking either unfit or out of form, which gives him problems with such a young squad- admittedly one he selected!

They drew, btw, despite the scots response :)
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Stom wrote: why not bring on more players who run directly? Like Sancho or Bellingham. That’s down to him and his inability to change for fear of losing.
Bellingham despite his age would add much needed dog to the midfield and has pace, Sancho is direct and class. Similar with Grealish - he just doesn't fit in with GS style as he plays largely on instinct (if he's fit he needs to be on imo).
Maybe GS is stifling the creativity. They'll grind out results against most teams but be perennial QF/SF fodder without having a go.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:
Stom wrote: why not bring on more players who run directly? Like Sancho or Bellingham. That’s down to him and his inability to change for fear of losing.
Bellingham despite his age would add much needed dog to the midfield and has pace, Sancho is direct and class. Similar with Grealish - he just doesn't fit in with GS style as he plays largely on instinct (if he's fit he needs to be on imo).
Maybe GS is stifling the creativity. They'll grind out results against most teams but be perennial QF/SF fodder without having a go.
They aren't lacking 'dog' in midfield with Rice and Phillips- who both garnered praise v Croatia. I'd agree that we need to be more direct and creative though Grealish made no difference when he came on. They were just lethargic.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote: They aren't lacking 'dog' in midfield with Rice and Phillips- who both garnered praise v Croatia. I'd agree that we need to be more direct and creative though Grealish made no difference when he came on. They were just lethargic.
Different type of dog perhaps ..(snappier) !
Grealish offered something different but Sco adjusted well.
Always difficult to pin cause of lethargy/not being fired up in big tournaments,...as long as we don't get the 'long hard season' cr@p!
Early days, as Gary Lin. reminded Eng were goalless with 1 point before the 3rd match v Pol. in '86, and somehow upped a gear to reach the QF.