Emma Raducanu

Puja

Emma Raducanu

Post by Puja »

Is utterly ridiculous. Yet to drop a set in her second ever Grand Slam, including breezing through qualifying.

What I've been mostly impressed by is the head on her shoulders. When she went on her first run at Wimbledon and had that big last 16 match on Court 1, she felt the pressure and the crowd did not help. She faulted on her first serve and the stadium erupted with support and "Come on Emma!"s and it just made her more and more overwhelmed. You could see her buckling under the weight of it and it wasn't a surprise that she needed to pull out partway through.

Afterwards though, she impressed me by openly saying that it was the pressure and stress (entirely understandable in an 18 year old in her first ever big tournament!) that was responsible rather than some faked injury, and then from that clearly working on the issues for this tournament. She's under slightly less pressure away from being the Great British Hope at Wimbledon, but the Yank crowd have taken to her and loudly cheered her in some of the biggest tennis stadia on the planet and she's not looked fazed by it at all. Incredible composure and mental strength from one so young.

Puja
Backist Monk
fivepointer

Re: Emma Raducanu

Post by fivepointer »

Astonishing effort to get through without dropping a set. Wimbledon hinted at a young player with considerable potential . Her performances at the US Open have simply confirmed that we have a special talent.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Game live tonight on channel 4 apparently. Looking forward to watching for the first time since Wimbledon
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

switchskier wrote:Game live tonight on channel 4 apparently. Looking forward to watching for the first time since Wimbledon
Hypecast starting at 8
Puja

Post by Puja »

switchskier wrote:Game live tonight on channel 4 apparently. Looking forward to watching for the first time since Wimbledon
Oh good! I have Amazon Prime, so I was going to watch it on that, but she deserves a network television audience.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

C'mon Emma!
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Huzzah!

Tha was an absolutely brilliant first set. Both players hitting the ball so cleanly, and aggressively, both showing an ability to come back from behind.

Also a kudos for Martina in commentary, really refreshing to hear such good analysis in play.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Blood injury when serving for match, at break point for the gutsy Fernandez..drama indeed.

All over, what a machine.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Fan-bloody-tastic.

What a match, and a well deserved win, slightly reminiscent of a young Federer (obviously the same level) in that you think she's playing to her absolute maximum, and then she hit 4 games where she just accelerates away from her previous form.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:Fan-bloody-tastic.

What a match, and a well deserved win, slightly reminiscent of a young Federer (obviously the same level) in that you think she's playing to her absolute maximum, and then she hit 4 games where she just accelerates away from her previous form.
And, even better, there are still some areas where she can clearly improve - it was notable today that she didn't have any kind of overhead smash available to her cause she always let high balls come down, even when even a basic overhead would've put the point away. She's only 18 and so inexperienced, and yet she's pulling out performances and results like that.

What a terrific prospect.

Puja
Backist Monk
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

A thrilling and brilliant win. The control, power, timing and movement of the players were things of wonder.

Great to hear Martina. How one yearned for some play at the net like her in her prime but that is considered old hat nowadays.
Digby

Post by Digby »

She is a terrific prospect, indeed she's terrific now. I would caveat of he matches this event she won an awful lot of the big points, and yes that's something the big players tend to do, but almost nothing would need to change and she could go out in the 2nd round, at which point I hope people have some patience.

They just aired some Pat Cash comments from after the game on 5Live and he was almost stuck repeating 'I can't believe it', and if you can do something that stops Cash from rabbiting on you've probably done something quite remarkable. This is somewhat taking to something like Cool Runnings, save Jamaica went on to win, it simply shouldn't happen

Her footwork is just awesome, she's so quickly into position and is looking to take the ball so early. And her % of returns in seemed bonkers to me, but I had been out drinking through the afternoon/early evening so perhaps got a bit fixated an inaccurate impression, though again it'd start with super fast footwork
Digby

Post by Digby »

Heard a nice story, which might already have been doing the rounds so apologies, about an 8-9 year old Raducanu. By that age her coaches had realised not maybe they had a future GS champion but clearly someone who stood out a little, and they don't just look at tennis but at physical abilities, and so they elected to have her do a press up challenge. Emma was given 1 minute to do as many press ups as she could and they said look don't worry you probably won't make it to the end of the minute, Emma promptly knocked 60 press ups in 60 seconds. The surprised coach enquired of Dad does she perhaps do press-ups at home, to which Dad said 'I didn't even know she knew what one was'.

Motor skills, physical skills, decision making and application, there's a reason these people aren't normal and are celebrated
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:Fan-bloody-tastic.

And, even better, there are still some areas where she can clearly improve - it was notable today that she didn't have any kind of overhead smash available to her cause she always let high balls come down, even when even a basic overhead would've put the point away. She's only 18 and so inexperienced, and yet she's pulling out performances and results like that.

What a terrific prospect.

Puja
I was screaming smash it at the telly which caused some giggling from my neighbours.