Everton and Martinez

WaspInWales

Everton and Martinez

Post by WaspInWales »

Can't help feeling Martinez is running out of time at Everton.

Just two wins in the last 10 matches and one of those was against Villa. Taken to the cleaners by Liverpool tonight.

Two red cards in the last 3 matches too.

Got an FA Cup semi-final date with what seems to be a resurgent Man United side. Tbh, the FA Cup is probably the only thing that is keeping him at Goodison for the time being.

The season has been absolutely dreadful. Massive shame really as there have been a number of matches earlier in the season where Everton have played some fantastic football, only to find a way to lose the match or cough up points by drawing. At the moment, we're just playing poor football.
jared_7

Re: Everton and Martinez

Post by jared_7 »

Funes Mori tugged his Everton badge and kissed it as he walked off, having just stamped on and injured an opponent and received a red card for it. Disgusting behaviour, even the Everton assistant coach had a go at him as he tried to leave the field. Should cop an extended ban for it.

Don't know what to make of Everton, I did think a few of their players were overhyped after Martinez's first, great season, but at the same time they are nowhere near this bad and as Leighton Baines said in an interview, there is something seriously wrong in the squad at the moment. Martinez seems in denial? This is sort of like Wigan all over again, he does seem like a manager who has been rewarded because he talks the talk and looks the part rather than actual results.
Stom

Post by Stom »

I did say when he was appointed that Martinez was far from a good manager. I just think he's terrible.

He took over from Bruce - another manager I don't think much of, but seems better than Martinez... - who had guided Wigan to 14th and 11th. He then dismantled the defense - they conceded 45 in Bruce's only full season, and 79! in Martinez' first.

Somehow Everton decided he was the right man...

Moyes may not have been a world class manager, but he was remarkably consistent. In his last two seasons, Everton conceded 40 goals and scored 50 and 55. In Martinez' first, successful, season, they scored 61 and conceded 39, since then 48, 50 and 53, 48 so far this.

I just think Martinez does not know how to build a solid team. Sure, solidity is not the be all and end all, but it helps. Even the biggest teams have solidity to their team. While Barca's tiki-taka may be seen as attacking, it actually works out as a very efficient defensive tactic. As another example, Arsenal focus all their energy on those creative players in the final third, and they never win the league despite having the means to do so.

If I was in charge of Everton, I would be shipping Martinez out asap. He takes the good work other managers have done, and slowly unravels it. Considering the talent he has at his disposal, having Joel Robles in goal is ridiculous.

If Everton want an exciting, young, attack minded manager, Howe may be a good bet.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

jared_7 wrote:Funes Mori tugged his Everton badge and kissed it as he walked off, having just stamped on and injured an opponent and received a red card for it. Disgusting behaviour, even the Everton assistant coach had a go at him as he tried to leave the field. Should cop an extended ban for it.

Don't know what to make of Everton, I did think a few of their players were overhyped after Martinez's first, great season, but at the same time they are nowhere near this bad and as Leighton Baines said in an interview, there is something seriously wrong in the squad at the moment. Martinez seems in denial? This is sort of like Wigan all over again, he does seem like a manager who has been rewarded because he talks the talk and looks the part rather than actual results.
Aye, I saw that, if my lip reading is anything to go by he mentioned a broken leg.

I'm not a fan of Funes Mori, he's scored a few goals for us but he makes far to many mistakes at the back, Stones seems to think he's a midfielder and no-one seems to be drilling in to him that one mistake is too many for a centreback to make during a game.

Everton were the architects of their own downfall again with the insistence of playing the ball out from the back which has been counteracted by most teams with a decent ball press. At no point last night did they seem to put together a string of passes.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote: Aye, I saw that, if my lip reading is anything to go by he mentioned a broken leg.

I'm not a fan of Funes Mori, he's scored a few goals for us but he makes far to many mistakes at the back, Stones seems to think he's a midfielder and no-one seems to be drilling in to him that one mistake is too many for a centreback to make during a game.

Everton were the architects of their own downfall again with the insistence of playing the ball out from the back which has been counteracted by most teams with a decent ball press. At no point last night did they seem to put together a string of passes.
Aye. Stones needs someone to learn from. He's not getting that. Koeman would be perfect for him. Maybe if Ronald takes over at a top club next year, he'll pick Stones up, that would be good for England.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Even with an FA Cup win, which seems rather unlikely at the moment, I think Martinez will be gone by the summer. A new owner who is willing to invest a lot of money is likely to be pushing for someone a little more ambitious.

Some of Martinez's decisions have been a bit suspect to say the least. Over £13m on Niasse who seems Sunday league quality from what I've seen of him then there's the dubious substitutions that have been very costly.

I was quite happy when he took over and the standard off football noticeably improved. There have been times when Everton are a joy to watch under Martinez but it all seems to be going pear shaped at the moment.

Everton have a decent enough squad to be top 8 at the moment but our results don't deserve anything more than mid table which is where we are.

A new coach and 3-4 good signings and it could breathe new life in the team for next season.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:Even with an FA Cup win, which seems rather unlikely at the moment, I think Martinez will be gone by the summer. A new owner who is willing to invest a lot of money is likely to be pushing for someone a little more ambitious.

Some of Martinez's decisions have been a bit suspect to say the least. Over £13m on Niasse who seems Sunday league quality from what I've seen of him then there's the dubious substitutions that have been very costly.

I was quite happy when he took over and the standard off football noticeably improved. There have been times when Everton are a joy to watch under Martinez but it all seems to be going pear shaped at the moment.

Everton have a decent enough squad to be top 8 at the moment but our results don't deserve anything more than mid table which is where we are.

A new coach and 3-4 good signings and it could breathe new life in the team for next season.
Yeah, as Stom mentioned in an earlier post we're just conceding too many goals with the unhappy knack of losing leads or matches in the last 15 minutes.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Clueless football again. Just sitting back off United and inviting them to move forward.

Results in allowing Fellaini free range in the box and he scores virtually unmarked.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Gave up at half time but have just watched the highlights.

That goal was comic defending. I think we had 7 players in the box when Rashford played the ball back. How the fack we managed to let Fellaini into space is beyond me. I'd maybe understand if it was Messi or someone else capable of losing defenders with a bit of speed. It wasn't even in the air where you'd expect Fellaini to possibly have the upper hand against some defenders. I think Lingard was also unmarked in the box.

Lukaku's penalty wasn't great but struck well enough and it was very well saved.

Martial's winner was very well finished. He's a very exciting prospect. What him him, Rashford and Lingard, United do have some excellent young attacking players and all will improve.

United deserved winners.

Everton are in serious need of new players...possibly a new manager too.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

A ream full of internationals (inc. 6 eng, 2 ire ) should be more competitive - certainly from the off in a cup semi.That indicates lack of motivation from wherever.
Cleverly was poor at Man U and had a negative impact at Villa on the pitch...until he knew he was going.
Martinez public persona is unusually open and accessible, with regular praise of his own players.
Not sure whether this undermines the fear factor that is often needed with successful management teams.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Can't see Koeman being interested now Man U. have nudged the Saints into the Europa group stages.I don't think Everton fall into the 'top club' bracket anyhoo.Frank de Boer is bookies fav. to come from Ajax, but Pellegrini would be a great coup if he could be tempted.
Whither Martinez ?..Championship club Derby are
said to be interested..
Pearson may be approached for that job though with di Matteo fav. for the Villa warm-seat now the Chinese consortium are in.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

Can see other clubs circling Everton with offers of Champions League & greater riches . Looking at your team there is no way they can explain their lowly position along with that terrible home record . Seems any incoming manager will have the first job of holding onto three possibly four players before they get approached .

Good luck , you may need it .
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Can see other clubs circling Everton with offers of Champions League & greater riches . Looking at your team there is no way they can explain their lowly position along with that terrible home record . Seems any incoming manager will have the first job of holding onto three possibly four players before they get approached .

Good luck , you may need it .
Yep. Lukaku will be off. Should get a decent amount for him as he still has a few years left on his contract. He's a good player, but I'm not sure he's as good as he thinks he is. Still, he scores goals and that's his job.

Would be a shame to see Barkley go. Massive, massive potential but far from the finished article. Would be nice if he stayed for a couple more seasons.

Stones is another with great potential but again, has much to learn and improve. Can see him being tempted by a big club.

Mirallas hasn't looked too happy so wouldn't be too surprised if he left.

Got some decent enough youngsters in the squad but we will need at least 3-4 big signings to bolster the squad for next season.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Galfon wrote:Can't see Koeman being interested now Man U. have nudged the Saints into the Europa group stages.I don't think Everton fall into the 'top club' bracket anyhoo.Frank de Boer is bookies fav. to come from Ajax, but Pellegrini would be a great coup if he could be tempted.
Whither Martinez ?..Championship club Derby are
said to be interested..
Pearson may be approached for that job though with di Matteo fav. for the Villa warm-seat now the Chinese consortium are in.
Pellegrini would be a huge coup but unless the new owners can match the purse strings of City, I can't see that happening.

Frank de Boer is the most likely but not something to get hugely excited about. Ajax have been very successful at domestic level under de Boer but they haven't had much else to shout about. Struggling to think of the last time a team from the Eredivisie did well in Europe??
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

LvG to Everton?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:LvG to Everton?
No, I'd rather Moyes back, and I don't want that.

Not sure about De Boer either tbh.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I'd hate to see LvG get the job too.

However, his stock has probably come down quite a bit during his time at United. Questionable teams, tactics, management and results bar the amazing FA Cup win where they beat such giants as Sheffield United, Derby, Shrewsbury, West Ham, Everton and Palace! At least the last 3 teams they faced were Premier League teams and I suppose West Ham were a form team too.

That said, even with disappointing results at United, he would be seen as a big name to lead Everton.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

New coach, new board, plenty of money in the coffers for transfers and we put in a £10m bid for Swansea's Ashley Williams.

I appreciate a replacement is needed if Stones goes but it's not exactly an inspiring move.

Swansea have rejected the offer but it looks like they will sell for a little more...
We are not looking to sell him and therefore we have turned down the offer currently on the table.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Bizarre move by Belgium. They're not twinned with the FA by any chance?

I like Martinez. He's not as bad as some make out but a league one title and an FA cup are hardly grounds for international success.

Still, it seems small time managers in the big jobs are the trend at the moment.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

WaspInWales wrote:Bizarre move by Belgium. They're not twinned with the FA by any chance?

I like Martinez. He's not as bad as some make out but a league one title and an FA cup are hardly grounds for international success.

Still, it seems small time managers in the big jobs are the trend at the moment.

I presume no one at the Belgium FA have seen Everton play or try to defend last season !!

fking awful
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

So, £47.5m for Stones. Superb deal for Everton. Probably more than double the sensible value and only time will tell if Stones will meet his potential.

With the extra cash, perhaps Everton can up their bid for Williams to £10.5m :roll:
Big D

Post by Big D »

WaspInWales wrote:So, £47.5m for Stones. Superb deal for Everton. Probably more than double the sensible value and only time will tell if Stones will meet his potential.

With the extra cash, perhaps Everton can up their bid for Williams to £10.5m :roll:
Great for Barnsley and their share.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

WaspInWales wrote:So, £47.5m for Stones. Superb deal for Everton. Probably more than double the sensible value and only time will tell if Stones will meet his potential.

According to Sky Swans have accepted a £12mil. beid from Everton so they value him at a quarter of the value of Stones
who IMO is nowhere hear 4 times as good as Wiliams not even twice as good
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
WaspInWales

Re: RE: Re: Everton and Martinez

Post by WaspInWales »

belgarion wrote:

According to Sky Swans have accepted a £12mil. beid from Everton so they value him at a quarter of the value of Stones
Williams is going to be 32 in a couple of weeks and Stones is just 22. Stones is an investment for the future in the hope that potential is met. Bit of a risk but these days, young players with potential attract silly prices.

Williams is ok but it's not exactly an inspiring signing. Would be nice if Everton went for a couple of big signings.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
belgarion

Re: RE: Re: Everton and Martinez

Post by belgarion »

WaspInWales wrote:
belgarion wrote:

Williams is going to be 32 in a couple of weeks and Stones is just 22. Stones is an investment for the future in the hope that potential is met. Bit of a risk but these days, young players with potential attract silly prices.

Williams is ok but it's not exactly an inspiring signing. Would be nice if Everton went for a couple of big signings.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
See this is the bit that I'm not so sure of, 47.5mil for a 22yr old on the chance he may meet his potential is a
big gamble in my opinion. Yes I know MU have just paid nearly 100mil for a 23yr old but at least with Pogba he has started to
fulfill his potential (4 Serie A title, 2 Italian cups & CL runners-up + EURO 2016 Euros runner-up & voted best young player
at 2014 WC)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent