Glos v Ospreys Challenge Cup QF Friday 8pm

Moderator: Puja

fivepointer

Glos v Ospreys Challenge Cup QF Friday 8pm

Post by fivepointer »

Glos have gone under the radar in this comp but are now at the QF stage. Its on TNT sports tomorrow.

Gloucester: Santi Carreras; Jonny May, Max Llewellyn, Seb Atkinson, Jake Morris; Adam Hastings, Stephen Varney; Jamal Ford-Robinson, Seb Blake, Kirill Gotovtsev, Freddie Clarke, Freddie Thomas, Ruan Ackermann (capt), Lewis Ludlow, Zach Mercer.

Replacements: Santi Socino, Mayco Vivas, Fraser Balmain, Albert Tuisue, Jack Clement, Caolan Engelfield, Charlie Atkinson, Chris Harris.

Ospreys: Jack Walsh; Luke Morgan, Keiran Williams, Owen Watkin, Keelan Giles; Owen Williams, Reuben Morgan-Williams; Gareth Thomas, Sam Parry, Tom Botha, James Ratti, Adam Beard, Harri Deaves, Justin Tipuric (capt), Morgan Morris.

Replacements: Lewis Lloyd, Nicky Smith, Rhys Henry, Huw Sutton, Morgan Morse, Luke Davies, Dan Edwards, Max Nagy.
Banquo

Re: Glos v Ospreys Challenge Cup QF Friday 8pm

Post by Banquo »

disappointing charlie hasnt displaced average adam yet
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:58 pm disappointing charlie hasnt displaced average adam yet
Maybe they're hoping to finally get some value for money from Average Adam before he goes.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Glos looking basque tonight.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Banquo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:58 pm disappointing charlie hasnt displaced average adam yet
My life Hastings is a poor fit. Their play is just so basic.

Atkinson showed some very nice touches. Late hands at the line were lovely. Apart from the pass to Ludlow! They really should use him as a runner more in games like tonight.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Atkinson’s running last week was sublime. As was his defence.
Just a class act
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:33 pm

Atkinson showed some very nice touches. Late hands at the line were lovely. Apart from the pass to Ludlow! They really should use him as a runner more in games like tonight.
Assuming you’re talking about Seb Atkinson?

Everything I read of him on here is along those lines of “threw some really beautiful passes but OMFG that one at X minutes was truly awful!”

Is he another Hodgson/Cipriani/Twelvetrees/Barkley flake who must be consigned to the scrap heap already?

Does he suit what England want to do at all at the moment? I really haven’t seen much of Gloucester recently.

The comments about Hastings are no surprise, sadly. Incredible runner on his day but I don’t know if he’s the same player anymore. Hopefully the return to Glasgow will get more out of him and Charlie Atkinson can push on.
p/d

Post by p/d »

I am probably bias but at 21 he continues to impress. His defence is really good and he is a threat with ball in hand. Yes he throws the odd bad pass (who doesn’t) but rarely gets turned over.

Reminds me of Stuart Abbott, another who didn’t get the caps his skill set deserved.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Rugby is a very silly sport at times.

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

twitchy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:35 am Rugby is a very silly sport at times.

:lol:
p/d

Post by p/d »

:lol:
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:47 pm
Epaminondas Pules wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:33 pm

Assuming you’re talking about Seb Atkinson?

Everything I read of him on here is along those lines of “threw some really beautiful passes but OMFG that one at X minutes was truly awful!”

Is he another Hodgson/Cipriani/Twelvetrees/Barkley flake who must be consigned to the scrap heap already?

Does he suit what England want to do at all at the moment? I really haven’t seen much of Gloucester recently.

The comments about Hastings are no surprise, sadly. Incredible runner on his day but I don’t know if he’s the same player anymore. Hopefully the return to Glasgow will get more out of him and Charlie Atkinson can push on.
There’s very few players who don’t throw one bad pass a game.

He would fit England very well. Deceptive hands at the gain line, strong runner, excellent defence, good base speed. He’s somewhere between Dingwall and Redpath in terms of style of play. We really should have a proper look at him at international level. To play outside Varney and Hastings and still look good is not to be sniffed at.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Well that game wasn't much in terms of entertainment. I'd agree with the above, Seb Atkinson was classy and Hastings looks a shadow of his former self. Glaws scrum stood up well, Seb Blake again looked solid and if you were going to pick out which hooker was the 32 year old international and which was the 21 year old rookie you'd have picked the other way round.

Ospreys are a mess. You've got a flyhalf that likes to play flat to the line and who's got a big miss pass and a huge boot on him. You then use none of the them. The 9 struggles to box kicks away, the attack is a short pop metres back from the gain line or out the back. Hooker can't hit a barn door. The only positives for them were their back three and the fact they managed to stay in the fight.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

I thought it was very ordinary fare. I know tv presenters have to talk a game up but this was a pretty routine game being treated like it was a 9 try thriller. Glos made life hard for themselves but got over the line comfortably enough.
Atkinson just looks a mightily assured player right now. His ability to play close to the line and make telling passes is a real treat. Blake is starting to look a very handy player.