PRC 2024

Moderator: Puja

Which Tyler

PRC 2024

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/content/premiership-rugby-cup-old-rivals-new-stories

Yay - an actual, proper, sensible format.
After what? 6 years of trying, rugby has finally found a cup format that works - the same format that had been used for the previous 30 years.
I'll never know why we had to try to move away from a pools system where you play the teams that are in your pool, and do so home and away - it's really not complicated!

Now, if only the same common sense can be found by EPRC before they completely ruin the club game.

As for the PRC itself - now if only they could find a way to limit teams to 2nd choice / youngsters whilst they're at it (if only for the Prem clubs)
FKAS

Re: PRC 2024

Post by FKAS »

It taking place during the November and February/March international windows makes a lot of sense. There's always the chance that a Prem team decides it's their only way of getting a trophy and taking it seriously.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:10 am https://www.premiershiprugby.com/content/premiership-rugby-cup-old-rivals-new-stories

After what? 6 years of trying, rugby has finally found a cup format that works - the same format that had been used for the previous 30 years.
I'll never know why we had to try to move away from a pools system where you play the teams that are in your pool, and do so home and away - it's really not complicated!

Now, if only the same common sense can be found by EPRC before they completely ruin the club game.

As for the PRC itself - now if only they could find a way to limit teams to 2nd choice / youngsters whilst they're at it (if only for the Prem clubs)
whilst its a sensible format (and it is a better iteration than last year, albeit loading even more games on Prem sides- see below), its shafted us and Chinnor. No bumper home fixtures v prem teams, and massive holes in our fixture lists, whilst having to retain players. Plus limiting to 2nd choice/youngsters hugely diminishes crowd appeal- tho most prem sides did that in the early rounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... 6rmyp0mrmo

And it will be 16 teams next season so don't celebrate yet.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:10 am https://www.premiershiprugby.com/content/premiership-rugby-cup-old-rivals-new-stories

whilst its a sensible format (and it is a better iteration than last year, albeit loading even more games on Prem sides- see below), its shafted us and Chinnor. No bumper home fixtures v prem teams, and massive holes in our fixture lists, whilst having to retain players. Plus limiting to 2nd choice/youngsters hugely diminishes crowd appeal- tho most prem sides did that in the early rounds.

Ooft. I'd only read the headlines and hadn't clocked two teams were being left out in the cold. Incredibly shitty.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:21 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm

Ooft. I'd only read the headlines and hadn't clocked two teams were being left out in the cold. Incredibly shitty.

Puja
Yes- they failed to point that out on the PRL site; the BBC web article is also wrong- we did play 2 prem sides last season, albeit away.

We knew we’d been shafted over a month ago, but were embargoed from comment. PRL insisted on only 10 teams and further have imposed all sorts of standards that they don’t even comply with.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm whilst its a sensible format (and it is a better iteration than last year, albeit loading even more games on Prem sides- see below), its shafted us and Chinnor. No bumper home fixtures v prem teams, and massive holes in our fixture lists, whilst having to retain players. Plus limiting to 2nd choice/youngsters hugely diminishes crowd appeal- tho most prem sides did that in the early rounds.
Yeah, I'd spotted that, and it's shit. Better would be to find another couple of teams (NL1) and have 6 pools - which has problems all of its very own.

I think you're aware that I've always wanted 10xPrem and 14xChamp*; with 6 pools of 4 in the Domestic cup
*but not 12xChamp + 2x bankrupt clubs
Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm And it will be 16 teams next season so don't celebrate yet.
Oh FFS.
Why does rugby always choose the worst available option? especially after finding a probably-best-available beforehand!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:02 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm whilst its a sensible format (and it is a better iteration than last year, albeit loading even more games on Prem sides- see below), its shafted us and Chinnor. No bumper home fixtures v prem teams, and massive holes in our fixture lists, whilst having to retain players. Plus limiting to 2nd choice/youngsters hugely diminishes crowd appeal- tho most prem sides did that in the early rounds.
Yeah, I'd spotted that, and it's shit. Better would be to find another couple of teams (NL1) and have 6 pools - which has problems all of its very own.

I think you're aware that I've always wanted 10xPrem and 14xChamp*; with 6 pools of 4 in the Domestic cup
*but not 12xChamp + 2x bankrupt clubs
Banquo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:40 pm And it will be 16 teams next season so don't celebrate yet.
Oh FFS.
Why does rugby always choose the worst available option? especially after finding a probably-best-available beforehand!
It will be 14 team Champ teams in 25/26 in all likelihood, subject to MOS. The problem with more pools is less commercially attractive- three home and away fixture, with 2 x Prem teams is a proper money earner (NL1 not at all); Coventry and Nottingham and London Scottish stand to make a fortune, with practically zero travel costs.